Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 20,273 times

Advertisements

Hi,

my husband will start work at Intel, Hillsboro soon and we'll be moving in from out of state soon.
Any advice on apartments suitable for rent for a family with small kids (toddlers)? in the range of $800-950
I was looking at a place called creekside at Tanasbourne which had VERY good reviews online.
Does anyone know of anyone who live there to get a direct idea about what the neighborhood is like?

How is the general Hillsboro area? We're FOB form south asia,moving across California.
I hear Portland's beautiful and we're excited to come.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Which Intel facility is he at? Hillsboro is a big area so it'll make a difference.

I'd probably start by looking at the apartments along Evergreen Parkway in Tannasbourne. That's going to be closest to the two major Intel Plants.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,627 times
I live in the neighborhood.

For starters, you will have no shortage of places to go shopping.

Second, as hamellr mentioned, the complexes along Evergreen Avenue are a good place to start; they are mostly within the $800-1100 range, depending on how many bedrooms, what floor, etc.

(personal gripe: if you have young kids? Please, please, please do not get an upper-floor apartment. There is nothing more grating on the soul than to have some cute little kid stomping like crazy in the apartment above you, and if you're the parent, you will catch a mountain of grief from the management about it.)

If your husband is working at Jones Farm or Hawthorne Farm, you will find yourselves about 2 miles away from HF, and something like 6-8 miles off if he's working at Jones Farm. All of it is pretty easily accessible by bicycle.

Not much in the way of community activities, though each complex does do little things to try and foster a sense of community.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 PM

Hi ,

thanks for the replies .
He will be working at the Ronler Acres campus.

@Random_Walk,

oh yeah I know how it is with little kids and we're specifically requesting ground floor apts.
Good to hear that it's close to shopping,me being quite the shopaholic

Thanks for the suggestion,I'll definitely look into the apts around evergreen ave

Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
My wife used to live in one of the Tanabourne apartment complexes along Evergreen, and it's a good area, with good apartment complexes. We both used to work for Intel. I think you'll enjoy living there!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Thanks HonuMan, could you tell me the name of the apartment complex?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movegirl2011 View Post
Thanks HonuMan, could you tell me the name of the apartment complex?
It was the Verandas, but my wife hasn't lived there in 10 years, but we've heard from other people that it's still a good place. The complex next door to it (Lionsgate, if I recall correctly) also was nice. We're in that area all the time, and all the complexes there seem to have been well kept up over the years.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks HonuMan, actually the apartment complex I looked at (creekside at Tanasbourne) is right across the road from the verandas Good to hear that neighborhood is good.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 PM

39 posts, read 117,097 times
Stay away from the neighborhoods near downtown Hillsboro, TV Highway and Glencoe High School. Really just avoid anything west of Jackson School and south of Cornel.

We moved here from out of state 3 years ago without knowing much about the area. Now we're moving to Beaverton as fast as humanly possible. To be completely honest, I'm not sure Hillsboro is a city with a bright future. One of the only nice places around, Orenco Station, has just had a huge low-income housing project approved. Also, if you plan on using the public schools, Hillsboro isn't a great option.

Have you considered NW Portland or Beaverton? The neighborhoods north of the 26 are much nicer.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,627 times
Dunno - the complexes along Evergreen are all in Hillsboro (along both Cornell and Evergreen streets) are quite nice, and there are some hidden gems out and around Hillsboro. Just mind that the rents are going up along Evergreen, especially in the complexes near the new Kaiser Westside hospital (I lived in Thorncroft Farms across the street from it, and they wanted an additional $165/mo to renew the lease for 12-18 months. Apparently, they also no longer entertain 6 month leases).

I have no first-hand info about the complexes on 185th and the Max line (just north of Baseline Rd), but they don't look too shabby IMHO.

I think Orenco Station had panicked because they're not selling condos like they used to (seriously - those things are *tiny* for the price). No idea how good/bad/indifferent the schools are though (no kids, so...)

Beaverton north of Hwy 26 is quite nice as well, especially going east from 185th (it becomes Bethany at some point).

You do have to be careful of some complexes in Beaverton... I had the misfortune of staying at one (around FarmingtonRd. and 156th) - they changed their name recently to something else (forgot what), but this is their history (which probably explains the name change): Club at the Green Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Beaverton apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland