Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was just in Portland last week and I fell in love with your city. I am hoping to relocate sometime in the next couple of years and wondered what neighborhood would be right for me?

A bit about myself. I'm a 38 year old gay male. Into the arts (music, concerts, movies, pop culture, etc.) Into trying new kinds of restaurants, entertainment, going for walks in parks. Looking for convenient shopping as well as access to the Trimet (whether it's bus, street car or rail.) But I am also looking for something affordable (one or two BR apartment, doesn't have to be fancy, just practicle.) (Right now I am paying 525 for a 1BR in Pittsburgh.)

I stayed at a hotel in Nob Hill last week and liked the neighborhood a lot. I also spent a good amount of time in the Pearl District and liked it as well. I think those would be good fits for me, if I could afford them.

I do have some friends in PDX that can help me, but I am also looking at various other opinions as well.

Thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Frankly you can live in any neighborhood, just like a heterosexual, assuming you can afford the rent. You need to determine your priorities nearer the time you anticipate moving.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 03-28-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
You're not going to find anything in Portland for that price, so expect a pretty hefty increase in your housing expenses. At that price you might be able to find something Gresham, but that's not even in Portland.
For the NW neighborhoods you describe, minimum rent for a 1 bedroom is going to start at $900-950/month.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
You're not going to find anything in Portland for that price, so expect a pretty hefty increase in your housing expenses. At that price you might be able to find something Gresham, but that's not even in Portland.
For the NW neighborhoods you describe, minimum rent for a 1 bedroom is going to start at $900-950/month.
That is what I figured. I can probably do it if I cut corners. Nothing is really set in stone. Just looking at options.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by raubre; 03-28-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
My neighborhood in close-in SE is also priced at $950-$1000 for a one bedroom apartment. If you are very lucky and happen to be around when the "For Rent" signs go up, every once in a while you can find one for around $850.

But you do not have to stick to the more trendy popular neighborhoods. The farther away from the city, the less expensive. Portland is not all that large so you can go pretty far from the core and still not be too far away. Some of these neighborhoods are experiencing upgrading but are not yet as expensive as those already gentrified.

Google "Portland Neighborhoods" and you will find a lot of information about the areas.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My neighborhood in close-in SE is also priced at $950-$1000 for a one bedroom apartment. If you are very lucky and happen to be around when the "For Rent" signs go up, every once in a while you can find one for around $850.

But you do not have to stick to the more trendy popular neighborhoods. The farther away from the city, the less expensive. Portland is not all that large so you can go pretty far from the core and still not be too far away. Some of these neighborhoods are experiencing upgrading but are not yet as expensive as those already gentrified.

Google "Portland Neighborhoods" and you will find a lot of information about the areas.
Thanks! How is public transportation in those further out areas?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Thanks! How is public transportation in those further out areas?
Some good some not so good. Tri Met is in the process of cutting back on bus service. If you stick to major lines ( I am only familiar with the SE part of town) you can do okay.

The #14, #15 and #4 are probably the most frequent. If you find an area you like you can look up the Tri Met website to determine what bus covers that area and how often it runs. Some, like the ones I mentioned, are considered "frequent service" routes and run evey fifteen minutes.

These buses are considered major lines and go from downtown to the burbs in some cases or pretty far out in the city.

If you choose the Hollywood neighborhood, you can live near the MAX but you would be paying a higher rent.

You may want to look into the Lents or Montavilla neighborhoods.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

You may want to look into the Lents or Montavilla neighborhoods.
She mentions these are they are right on the MAX line. Granted Montavilla will cost you a good bit more than Lents, as it's considered more desirable and closer in (which it is a bit closer to downtown as Lents is pretty far south).

Are you talking about transit as an actual commuting tool, or just to use once in a while?

There was a nice upstairs apartment in my neighborhood (Mt. Scott) which is kind of outer SE, it was a good place with about 750 feet one bathroom, nice redone bathroom and kitchen, and access to a garden plot, right around the corner from the park and community center and pool. It was renting for $800/month. We actually thought this was a pretty good deal, as it was really nice. The rental signs were up for 2-3 weeks, which was surprising. But that gives you just one example of what's out there. You could probably get a much worse place for $650-700.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
She mentions these are they are right on the MAX line. Granted Montavilla will cost you a good bit more than Lents, as it's considered more desirable and closer in (which it is a bit closer to downtown as Lents is pretty far south).

Are you talking about transit as an actual commuting tool, or just to use once in a while?

There was a nice upstairs apartment in my neighborhood (Mt. Scott) which is kind of outer SE, it was a good place with about 750 feet one bathroom, nice redone bathroom and kitchen, and access to a garden plot, right around the corner from the park and community center and pool. It was renting for $800/month. We actually thought this was a pretty good deal, as it was really nice. The rental signs were up for 2-3 weeks, which was surprising. But that gives you just one example of what's out there. You could probably get a much worse place for $650-700.
I don't have a car so I was using transit as an actual communting tool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland