Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM

159 posts, read 489,993 times

Advertisements

So I'm an 18-year-old who is from NorCal. I'm Northern California born and raised, about an hour north of San Francisco, and I have lived here all my life. In fact, I have never visited another state of the US, but I've been to British Columbia in Canada and I've been to China for a month. However, Portland is about 10 hours north of me and I thought about moving there.

As most of you probably are aware, CA in general is becoming a troubled state to live in. The cost of living is high, there are not a lot of job opportunities anymore, the public schools seem to be getting bad and there's so much weird crap going on. I just want a different place for now. So I thought about Portland, Oregon. So many people here are originally from there and many of them love it there way more than here, so I'm considering Portland!

What's a good community in the Portland area for good, and would you recommend it to an 18-year-old wanting to seek a place to attend community college and work in. Is Portland a good place for a young person living by himself in general? I considered somewhere in Texas, but I think I'll reconsider that.

Of course, I'd like a community that's kind of vibrant, and a sizable Asian community would be nice (I'm half-Chinese) so I could have some Asian restaurants to eat at. I'd really appreciate having that around. Also, a community that's somewhat near a community college. Maybe I'm being too broad here, but I'd like somewhere like that!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,114,326 times
I'm not sure that the job or cost-of-living situation would be much better in Portland. It's still pretty tight. I'd suggest looking into a shared-living situation, both for socialization and for cost-effectiveness.

There are four community colleges in the metropolitan area -- Portland CC, Mt. Hood CC (in Gresham), Clackamas CC (in Oregon City) and Clark College (in Vancouver). So lots to choose from in that respect.

There is also a large Asian community, and plenty of Asian food.

You'd probably find it more similar to Northern California than Texas would be. And closer to home, if you decide you want to go back.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 PM

21 posts, read 42,542 times
Depends on where you move in Texas. What city were you looking into?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
As most of you probably are aware, CA in general is becoming a troubled state to live in. The cost of living is high, there are not a lot of job opportunities anymore, the public schools seem to be getting bad and there's so much weird crap going on. I just want a different place for now. So I thought about Portland, Oregon. So many people here are originally from there and many of them love it there way more than here, so I'm considering Portland!
If these are the reasons for which you want to move, I don't think you would be happy here. Our public schools are facing major problems. The job situation is pretty bad. It is an expensive place to live. The cost of living is high and salaries low.

If you do decide to move to Portland and you need work, check with the school you decide upon to help you with a job if you need one. Also housing is scarce which is why many young people who move here wind up sharing a place.

I am not trying to discourage you from Portland but you have to know that you may face the same issues here as you mention exist in California that from which you are trying to get away.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 AM

159 posts, read 489,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynnieM View Post
Depends on where you move in Texas. What city were you looking into?
Austin

Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 AM

21 posts, read 42,542 times
Bwaha, I was wondering if you were thinking about Austin. It's really nice there, and the weather isn't too bad (not like Houston's), but it doesn't stay as constant as it does in say San Francisco. As Austin is our state capital and home to the University of Texas, they can be really Texas proud, more so than I care to be. I don't know if that affects anything for you. I've also heard a lot of native Austinites complain about the Californians moving in -- the biggest gripe was they didn't know how to drive (though personally, after driving around Texas recently, my brother and I came to the conclusion a lot of people in Texas don't know how to drive).

Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
As an 18 yo you should have finished high school so I assume you are looking at community colleges. There is no doubt that the cost of living is cheaper in Oregon than California (unless you would consider Redding or Shasta) but I don't know how out of state tuition pencils out for you. I have heard that access to classes is difficult in CA CC, that is a significant issue.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 PM

343 posts, read 691,573 times
Out-of-state tuition is ridiculously high on both sides of the border. To get around this, I plan on becoming a permanent resident in Portland and study my arse off in my spare time. By the time I enroll in community college all the classes will be a breeze.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
Great plan! Keep in mind that you will need employment. Because residency is residency move to any Oregon town where you can find a job until you are ready to attend school.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,628 times
You don't have to pay out of state tuition because California is a border state of Oregon. I already looked into it online for pcc, psu, and UO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland