Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 PM

157 posts, read 518,075 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm moving to Portland over the summer. I will be working in a telecommuting job in web development, which allows me to live anywhere. I would like to try out Portland.

It seems that the consensus is that NW Portland is for young professionals. I guess I would fit the bill of a "young professional," but I don't know if that fits me personality-wise. Though I will have a full time job, I'm not the type who dresses up in a suit from 9 to 5. Also, it seems like NW Portland is mostly full of older, more established people.

I'm most concerned about meeting people at my point in life. I'm moving to Portland without knowing anyone.

I would like to be around other young people (recent college graduates and the like) who are progressive/environmentally minded. I'm interested in gardening, permaculture, and nature in general. I have a feeling like I'm less likely to find that quality in a higher cost NW Portland. So here are some ideal qualities where I'd move:
  • Young people/outlets to meet young people
  • Active environmentalist communities (permaculture, urban gardening, and the like)
  • public transportation, though I will have my own car
  • close by to trails/nature

I'm willing to settle for only a few of these. Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter;23760439Also, it seems like NW Portland is mostly full of older, more established people.

I'm most concerned about meeting people at my point in life. I'm moving to Portland without knowing anyone.

I would like to be around other young people (recent college graduates and the like) who are progressive/environmentally minded. I'm interested in gardening, permaculture, and nature in general. I have a feeling like I'm less likely to find that quality in a higher cost NW Portland. So here are some ideal qualities where I'd move:[LIST
[*]Young people/outlets to meet young people[*]Active environmentalist communities (permaculture, urban gardening, and the like)[*]public transportation, though I will have my own car[*]close by to trails/nature[/list]I'm willing to settle for only a few of these. Any ideas? Thanks
You can find all of these in almost any close in neighborhood that has a lot of condos/townhouses.

NW Portland has a lot of sub-cultures. In that area, as well as all neighborhoods in Portland, single family dwellings are usually occupied by families.

NW District
I don't think that any of the units on NW Naito Parkway will meet your needs, likewise 'Old Town". The Pearl is ideal but relatively expensive, particularly for parking but that is where the "yuppie" action is. Were I you I would start out there for a year and as your familiarity with Portland increases find your niche. Urban gardens are 'sign up' in nature and are sprinkled throughout the city. I think the City Park Bureau manages those.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM

So you recommend the Pearl District?
  • pearl district - 1

Just worried about whether I'll meet people in my age range....(laid back recent college grad types)... But I haven't even been to Portland, so I have no idea.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM

Ah, you have never experienced 'Thurst Thursday' in the Pearl.

Before you actually move I suggest you visit and experience the Pearl and the NW District, have coffee and pastry at St. Honore, watch the activities in Wallace Park on a weekend. Judge for yourself.

Read the Willamette Week online.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
I agree with your original assessment. You should probably avoid the NW and look to the SE (or NE). There are a lot more backyard chickens and urban gardeners there. Hook yourself up with something like a volunteer gig at Zenger Farms (which would be a great way to meet people that are interested in agriculture).

Personally, I really don't think the Pearl is going to fit your desires. There are some younger people there, but it's almost exclusively condo's and apartments (ie. people that most times specifically do not want a yard/garden). It definitely draws a certain type of person. In my experience, that's usually someone who kind of wishes Portland was a bigger city (like NYC) because they want the "city lifestyle" experience. I also wouldn't classify the area as "laid back".

Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Thanks for your input.

It seems that there are no street cars/light rail stations in the inner SE. Is this true?
  • Pearl District - 1
  • SE - 1
  • NE - 1

Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Well the east side street car is almost complete. The inner SE is not very serviced by street car/MAX, but it's also really close so many there just bike or walk to get around. I'm sure Minervah will tell you all about the buses in that area.

So you've never been to Portland, why do you want to move here? And where are you from?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:06 PM

One of the reasons why answering questions like 'laid back' is so difficult is that we don't know the writer's culture. All of Portland is 'laid back' to someone from NY or CHI but not if you are from many southern communities. Context is everything.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Well the east side street car is almost complete. The inner SE is not very serviced by street car/MAX, but it's also really close so many there just bike or walk to get around. I'm sure Minerva will tell you all about the buses in that area.

So you've never been to Portland, why do you want to move here? And where are you from?
Yes, Minerva will.

OP, if you can afford the close-in or inner SE side you will find some good bus lines but no light rails. The type of people you are looking for definitely live here.

I live off Hawthorne in what is called the "Buckman" area but also borders "Hosford-Abernathy" across the street and "Sunnyside" about a half mile to the East.

Within this area are two major bus lines; the #15 Belmont and the #14 Hawthorne. Both are frequent runs which, according to Trimet anyway, is every 15 minutes "or better."

The neighborhoods are definitely walkable with several supermarkets including two local ones that have mostly organic items and various types of stores and restaurants. There is also a large community garden on 20th and Salmon or thereabouts.

The rentals are more expensive the closer to downtown with not many vacancies appearing. You kind of have to be walking down the street to see the good stuff. For example my apartment complex of 11 apartment has a large back yard with a small space for gardening. The yard is big but the garden space is not large enough for all the tenants because it is shared by two buildings. I think my landlord assigns space to whoever asks first until space is gone. Like most landlords around here, with the exception of large rental management companies he puts out a "For Rent" sign and within days, sometimes hours the apartment is rented.

The trouble is, so many empty lots that were once used by the tenants living nearby or on private land for gardens have been converted into areas for apartment buildings. The demand for housing here is high. Even the community gardens have waiting lists. I looked up Portland community gardens and discovered those that are being accepted for waiting lists are pretty far out from the main part of the city.

There is also the neighborhoods that run along SE Division St and SE Powell Blvd. I don't know the names of the neighborhoods there but they are similar to the area I just described but less expensive. Then there is Lents (Davemess 10 can tell you about that one) and Montavilla which are farther out but also less expensive. Both have areas that have been much improved within the last five years or so and I believe are relatively more reasonable in rents.

It's really kind of tough to envision. You will be better off visiting the areas you think might suit you to see for yourself. It's easy to get around and won't take long to get from one place to another if you are driving. If you are taking public transportation it will take longer and you have to really plan ahead.

I would like to echo the question "Why Portland?" Just because I am curious as to why people chose a place to live. For me it was a job transfer 30 plus years ago but I had been to the city a couple of times so I knew what I was getting into.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM

I'm in Austin, which is a great great city.

I'm moving to change the scene. Also, with family here in Austin, there's a good chance I'll be back. Being young and have a super flexible job, I want to taste test and see what's out there.

I'm fascinated by intentional communities, permaculture, urban homesteading, community gardening, urban planning, bike culture, etc which Portland is a well known paragon of. Portland was top of the list of cities my friends and I wanted to eventually visit/live in. (Along with Boulder, Austin, San Fran, etc.)

I think I'll probably spend a week or two or so in hostels checking out Eugene and Portland before deciding where to live.

Part of me wants to be around the driven folks of NW Portland; part of me wants to be around the community/permaculture/gardening types of SE Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland