Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Eastport Plaza was a nice mall with a Mervyn's and a Newberrys. There were other nice shops to and it was enclosed. And didn't they at one time have a water slide?
Yep, along with one at Jantzen Beach, and another smaller, long gone mall over in Milwaukie. GI Joe's used to be part of that mall, everything except the their building was torn down in the mid-80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
[quote=Minervah;23833989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Ah yes, the Goose Hollow Inn, and the tavern owner who became a very popular mayor. Here's a copy of the "Expose Yourself To Art" poster that Bud Clark did.

...That's when I would call Portland genuinely weird. Today it just seems like a bunch of people trying too hard to live up to some perceived image.
There was enough weirdness going around Oregon at the time
Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and Sheela's attempt at bio-terrorism, and the like.

The crowd at the airport was dotted with those dressed in RED. Rajneesh in Oregon Photo Gallery by James Mason at pbase.com

How mellow Portland has become... (a relief to all, especially those who eat at salad bars )

This is really a quite good pic history:
http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-e..._troubles.html

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-13-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
LOL! I remember when I first moved here I had a magenta colored 3/4 length coat. One of my co-workers warned me that people may think I was part of the Rajneesh crowd. I actually had a friend who visited their compound and was very impressed. She said there were lots of educated people there.

For awhile, I was afraid she was going to join them.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM

And the Hari Krishna's were everywhere. You couldn't walk downtown without running over one of them.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Ah, the Rajhneeshis. There were lots living around me. And then, there was this plane flight I took out of town after one of their "festivals." The plane was probably about 90% red. And it was a horrid flight, with awful turbulence. The flight attendants couldn't leave their seats for the first few hours. I wondered at the time whether I'd be punished (or saved) with them all. lol.

And when the accusations of attempting to murder the governor and the food-poisoning incident, I remember thinking it was silly, just another conspiracy theory. But then it turned out to be true! I guess the city, like me, grew up.

I n the 1980s was still very much more a hippie town, in general. One thing I miss from those days, especially, is that there was a thriving comedy scene in town. I loved the comedy clubs, with their nationally-known acts. Portland's fancied up a bit, but I think it's still generally the same.

But, hamellr, there never was a mall in Milwaukie. Strip malls like now, but not a legitimate mall.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
I agree with Doity's post.

Also want to add -- Jim Spagg. You want weird? He was the real deal.
Jim Spagg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I agree with Doity's post.

Also want to add -- Jim Spagg. You want weird? He was the real deal.
Jim Spagg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OMG!! Jim Spagg! I had forgotten all about him. Arrrrrgh! Not a person I would want to remember though.

Okay, THAT's what I would call Portland Weird!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
I think in the 80's, Portland still thought it was competing with Seattle and The Bay Area. As the new century passed, Portland kind of left all that behind and decided to become their own city.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
Jim Spagg was apparently from Cleveland - what does that say about Cleveland?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think in the 80's, Portland still thought it was competing with Seattle and The Bay Area. As the new century passed, Portland kind of left all that behind and decided to become their own city.
I never saw much of that. I know some people who were recent transplants at the time may have thought that but the people I knew who were born here and long-time residents were proud of the fact that they were their own city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland