Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_A View Post
What a great link the WW retrospective is, I went back and read a few. The 80's started with the Mt St Helens eruption, and my memories for most of the 80's are of hard economic times, in fact the WW post for 1982 is titled Hard Times. We had unemployment over 12% and just like today, if you had a job your highest priority was to keep it. Ron Wyden was elected to the Senate in 1980 and joined Mark Hatfield, while the famous Bud Clark became Mayor in 1986 after the city turned from the conservatism of Frank Ivancie and Connie McCready.

Hawthorne wasn't yet hip, rents in the area were still cheap and we didn't have Starbucks, though I think we did have loads of micro-brews and Coffee People. A drive to Mt Hood went through farmland along Powell past about 112th, now it has been developed into housing, and Sandy was a bend in the road. I think Portland today is more Liberal politically, and probably safer in general. I remember years in the 80's when the Police didn't even bother to take reports on car thefts or break-ins, and crimes against property were much more frequent. Portland may or may not be better, but it for sure is a lot bigger with many more homeless people on the streets.
This is pretty accurate from what I remember but it does leave out many of the good things about Portland in the 80's. I have mentioned many so I won't go into them again but suffice it to say Portland was a very different place then and now. I suppose many other cities can say this as well though. Change is pretty inevitable but I think Portland changed a bit more rapidly than other cities with which I am familiar.

I have to add though that the fact that the jobless rate was very high is so true. I was resented in my place of work and even threatened because as a transferee from Chicago, I was told I had taken the prospect of a job away from an Oregonian. The man who I replaced was also a transplant from the Chicago office was treated just as badly which is why he left. He was really afraid for his safety.

Tough town? You bet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have to add though that the fact that the jobless rate was very high is so true. I was resented in my place of work and even threatened because as a transferee from Chicago, I was told I had taken the prospect of a job away from an Oregonian. The man who I replaced was also a transplant from the Chicago office was treated just as badly which is why he left. He was really afraid for his safety.
I have no trouble believing this. None whatsoever. I also heard one from a Chicago couple where the husband worked for one of the major accounting/consulting firms and they were elated to get a transfer to Portland. When they got there, they thought it would be business as usual, including the rites of passage which are part and parcel of assimilating to a new city. It just wasn't working and, after three years, they got a transfer back to Chicago.

Personal experience: first interview I ever had in the area. I had dressed in nice business attire, possibly a little conservative for the interview. The person, one of the owners, walks into the conference room, looks me up and down, and rudely asks me "How much do you want to make?" At that point, I knew this wasn't going to go anywhere. A little later, he's looking at my resume and, out of the blue, declares "I went to Grant." This is for professional level work and he's telling me that he's REALLY local by the the high school he attended. A lot of the natives can be douchey in this way.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,775 times
There is an indie movie called "Rid of Me" that addresses this phenomenon. The movie didn't get spectacular reviews, but you might enjoy it if you have had this experience.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Back in 2005, Willamette Week put together a year-by-year retrospective to celebrate its 30th anniversary, starting with 1974:

It includes some of the biggest stories and little factoids from each year.
They needed to read more carefully. I started checking things, and found the first whopper in 1975, where they say "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was filmed that year. It was released that year, but it was filmed in 1973. I had a beer with Jack Nicholson at the Ram Pub.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
There is an indie movie called "Rid of Me" that addresses this phenomenon. The movie didn't get spectacular reviews, but you might enjoy it if you have had this experience.
Thank you. I'll have to check it out.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I am going to look for it. Sounds interesting.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
...I have to add though that the fact that the jobless rate was very high is so true. I was resented in my place of work and even threatened because as a transferee from Chicago, I was told I had taken the prospect of a job away from an Oregonian. The man who I replaced was also a transplant from the Chicago office was treated just as badly which is why he left. He was really afraid for his safety.

Tough town? You bet!
Ha, same here. I came from Colorado in '82 and actually had to quit my long-term employment on Friday, move out here (via uhaul), and 'rehire' as a 'local' on Monday. (same company, different division)

Everyone was just getting into the 'downsizing / RIF' trends. I had some unique qualifications that led the boss here, to ask me to quit and move myself out to PNW. Had I not done so, I could have retired 22 yrs sooner via being laid off in Colo. (I had just completed apprenticeship, so VERY low on seniority... as in NONE...)

Yes there was certainly a 'hire-local' movement (and still is). My current Oregon Proud employer is hiring from Michigan like crazy. The motto amoungst the worker bees = "Oregon Proud, putting Michigan to Work!" , Even the boss is from MI, so my days are numbered.... (I'm not a groupee, and this crew is into the 'Jr High Social Structure'... adios.)

Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM

Found the link on IMDB...

Rid of Me (2011) - IMDb

I found the film entertaining. Don't be put off by the shocking initial scene, if you do happen to rent the movie.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Found the link on IMDB...

Rid of Me (2011) - IMDb

I found the film entertaining. Don't be put off by the shocking initial scene, if you do happen to rent the movie.
Is this film set in Portland? I read the brief summary and it's about a young woman being socially excluded and creating an identity. Who was excluding her - housewives who do tea in Lake Oswego, or hipsters on Hawthorne? I just saw "Titanic" for the first time last year, so I've got other catching up to do.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM

The premise of the movie is that an "outsider" marries a native of a Portland suburb. The woman is the outsider, who watches as her husband slowly changes when they move to his birthplace. It's a little over-the-top, but I still enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland