Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,973 times

Advertisements

I just joined this site today, because I thought that I could provide good local info. for the (Portland metro) area and get info. for other areas in the country. Back to the question, if your looking stay put in Portland Public School District (PPSD) I would look at Hillsdale, Vermont Hills, Multnomah Village, Burlingame, Mt. Tabor, Grant Park, Hollywood, Alameda, Raleigh Hills to name a few.

40 min. by car to PDX, then you don't want to go West of the West Hills

If your OK, going beyond the 40 min. mark and PPSD, then I have a whole lot more to offer.

A little history about myself: 11 years working for Tri-Met (public transportation) and 4 years law enforcement in the Portland metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 11:50 AM

67 posts, read 198,979 times
Default Recommendations, please

I'm looking for the same kind of information. I'm afraid I'm going to have to move from Medford because, as my son gets closer to high school, the libraries here are closed, and I've inquired about quality of public high schools. Everyone says St. Mary's at 10K tuition per year is the only ticket in town. Ouch!

Anyway, my choices are Ashland, perhaps Corvallis and definitely Portland. My son is a skateboarder, probably the best of his age in the Rogue Valley. He wants to go pro, but he's also a good student and realizes the value of doing something besides exercising his passion for skating. He loves the Department of Skate in Portland, which is near the Rose Garden Arena. I realize this is a sketchy area, although there are nice neighborhoods within biking distance. Myself, I'd be happy to be back in a vibrant, thriving, artsy, educated, hip neighborhood after so many years in the colorless Medford. Yet, my biggest concern overall is quality of high school education. Can anyone give me the names of good neighborhoods that have good high schools that would be A) reasonably close to the Department of Skate and B) colorful. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:34 PM

I thought the Jackson County library system was going to re-open with a private company operating them?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
As a mom with just graduated older kids, I would recommend that you take your oldest around, or actively engage him in the process, and let HIM pick if possible based on a combo of factors he thinks important with parental guidance. My kids were: oldest mentally and physically disabled, second one highly accelerated, and third one average.

Things could really change by the time your youngers get there, and those last years are really socially and developmentally very very important for your oldest son. All of his post high school choices will be influenced by his satisfaction in the next four years, and it does not matter what other people say, it matters if he feels he fits and has the opportunities he wants. You can explain to the others that when their turn comes they will get equivalent consideration. It will definitely be harder on the older kids than the youngest. Also if you take a flexible approach with the youngers they won't have the sense that their life is ruined because "you didn't get it right".

Old 09-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Default let him pick?

That's a nice idea to take my son around and let him pick. But as a parent, I need to steer him toward academic excellence and college prep. He'll be happy enough if he moves to Portland, because he loves that city, and if he can be within biking distance from Department of Skate, he'll be as happy as a pig in...

Old 09-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Default spooner - public libs in Jckson Cty.

Yes, I have heard something about privatizing the libraries. That's a radical idea. Lord knows, I've paid enough overdue library fines to make a private library system profitable. And I do understand why voters rejected paying to re-open libraries, having just paid for districtwide physical improvement funding for public schools. However, it seems that from what everyone says, Medford's high schools just don't cut it for academics and college prep, which rank pretty high in my book, and my objective is to pinpoint neighborhoods that are easy commuting distance from the Rose Garden Arena area and are in districts with a high school that places sufficient emphasis on academics and on gearing kids toward college. What neighborhoods to pick to live in that will accomplish this objective...? I'm not that familiar with Portland, which is why I'm posting this question to y'all.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:07 PM

116 posts, read 614,294 times
I'm assuming you're referring to the skate park underneath the Burnside Bridge on the east side of the river. On this side of town there are basically two good high schools to choose from with a variety of neighborhoods feeding in to them. Your choices are Grant, located in the NE, and Cleveland in the SE. Both schools are good and have great neighborhoods to choose from.

Being that Burnside is the dividing line between the city, you have many options. I'd check out Ladd's Addition in the SE and Irvington in the NE. Both are great areas that are extremely walk-able, with local shops, cafes, and restaurants to choose from.

Good luck...

Old 09-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Default further clarification, please

Actually, no, Burnside underneath the bridge is not what I'm talking about. My son doesn't much care for that place (too seedy). There's a little known indoor skate park over near the Rose Garden Arena called the Department of Skateboarding, on a small street named NE Hancock.

Which of the hoods you just mentioned would be a quick commute to that area? Also, it seems that people generally think that Lincoln is the one and only high school to select from. A previous poster said that, like all urban markets, the high schools in Portland suck, compared with the high schools in the suburbs, with the lone exception of Lincoln. But then again, I am also gathering there are others of you in Portland that claim several high schools are quite good, as you have. Also, which of the neighborhoods you just mentioned are in the Lincoln High School district -- or would you happen to know that?

Thank you for the precise and constructive feedback.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 PM

Default skateboarding and school

Well your going to have to decide what it is you really want. High schools in the PPSD that have a good rep. are: Grant, Benson, Lincoln, Wilson and Cleveland. Lincoln's school boundary is within the most expensive area for housing and apartments in Portland. The Dept. of Skateboarding is located at 15 NE Hancock, you can live anywhere within the city and get on a bus or car and be there within 20-30 min. PPSD also allow boundary exceptions, the number is limited but you can always try. I don't believe you can get one after the school year begins. Both Lake Oswego and Beaverton offer good schools. If your son is really looking at going on to a 4 yr. college, then all the above mentioned schools will work. I've attached a link to the PPSD boundary map.

Portland Public Schools District Map

Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM

116 posts, read 614,294 times
So I did a search for the Department of Skateboarding...that place looks awesome! I definitely would have loved it when I was a kid. It actually borders one of the areas I mentioned. I think you should definitely check out Inner NE Portland. There are a string of great neighborhoods in the area in a variety a price levels that would be a short ride to this park. Beginning with Irvington (which is closest to the skate park) heading east you have Dolph Park, Grant Park, and Alameda. Rose City Park is also nice if somewhat further out. All of these neighborhoods feed into Grant High School. You'll hear a lot of people with different opinions regarding Portland schools, overall I think they're fine. Since your son has an involved parent who is concerned with his academics, he will be successful. Grant High Schools Newspapers website has a map of where their last years seniors will be attending college. It is an impressive list of colleges and universities around the country.

As others have mentioned I think it would be a great idea to just come on up and check out the schools and neighborhoods and see which one works out. I know you'll like the neighborhood around Grant as it has so many of the elements you're looking for, although I am somewhat biased since I call this area home.

Good luck with your search and decision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland