Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 10,503 times

Advertisements

I live in Reno NV and will relocate to Portland . I am trying to find a place to stay that is pretty central . I don't drive and use public trans a lot . Looking for something inexpensive to live . Furnished studio for the beginning is good enough for me until I learn to find my way around and get situated . Currently I work for a large Hospital in a clerical position . How many hospitals are in the area ? It doesn't have to be a hospital job , I also have a background in Hotel/Restaurant and Fitness .
Pretty open to suggestions . Want to get away from Reno and get back into the green and beautiful . I am aware of the rain , does not bother me much . I prefer that over the darn storms over here anytime . Any pointers would be appreciated . I am really excited to move and would love to do it NOW if I could .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
You work in a hospital in a clerical position, post on a forum and can't make a list of hospitals in Portland metro by searching the internet? I am not sure you have the skills to be competitive in the Portland market. That observation may be a unkind but it is real, you need to have great administrative skills because competition for the good jobs is fierce.

Most of the large hospital systems post their openings on the internet. Smaller clinics will put them on craigslist.

Stop for a moment and reflect on people who have worked in your hospital who moved to Portland. Contact them to see if they will network for you. The temp services may have medical admin temp jobs from time to time. Contact them to find one who specializes in the medical market to get a feel for opportunities.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
you might have a hard time with central and inexpensive. are you willing to have a roommate?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Nell ... I do know how to do job searches . I just want to get some info for now , to sort of get a feel for the place . I moved around a lot on the past and I am looking for a place to settle . I don't consider you unkind . You are entitled to your opinion .

Christiner .. yes I am considering that as well . When I first moved to Reno I did exactly that .

Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Central and inexpensive are mutually exclusive in Portland. Studios can run to $1000 a month unfurnished.

The roommate idea is a good one. Public transportation is great in some areas, usually the more expensive ones and bad in others. The hospital group I would check first out is Kaiser Permente. I am told it is a great place to work and they are all over the city. Providence and Legacy hospitals are good to work for too. The problem is finding an opening.

Hotel/Restaurant and Fitness are going to be really tough. I would focus on the hospitals and clinics.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
There is a lot of information in the Portland forum. I would suggest you just start reading it. It will give you a better feel of the city, then you can come back and ask us a little more specific questions.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone . I checked some of the Hospital sites . Kaiser is a good one and I know a few people in the Pacific region that work there so that may be a big help . I am checking in on the forum every few days , in general doing a lot of research . I absolutely understand that the job situation is not an easy one . I live in the worst state in the nation when it comes to work . BUt I am a pretty determent person and know I will find something . Thanks for all the pointers

Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM

39 posts, read 117,053 times
Even clerical positions in healthcare are going to be very competitive. 10+ applicants for every opening. I'd advise against moving here without a job secured ahead of time. Determination is nice, but the market here is a cold reality.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Only 10? Usually that is the number of applicants a recruiter sends to a manager for consideration. My guess is that they receive at least 50 qualified applications.

Keep in mind that some employers use an applicant sourcing system that scans resumes, ranks them based on pre-established criteria. Those that do not make the cut are essentially invisible to the hiring officials. Read the announcement carefully.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
One of the problem for the poor HR departments is that people will often apply for jobs whether or not they qualify because they are desperate for work. At one job I had, a very tiny ad in the classifieds brought in fifty applicants in just one day. It was a very small branch office and specific experience and knowledge was specified in the ad. But that did not deter people with no experience whatsoever.

I like to suggest to people just starting out in Portland to sign up with a temp agency. They will hopefull match the person to the job and it will get your foot in the door for full time work. If you have specific skills in clerical work in a hospital such as coding and insurance, you may have a better chance than someone who doesn't but it will still be a competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: