Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 PM

43 posts, read 49,309 times

Advertisements

Normally I would do my research before asking this, but we have about two weeks to move there and I just don't have time to look through threads and not ask the same question for the millionth time! So sorry in advance!

Coming from safe Boise, ID. Have family in Lake Oswego. Husband will be working downtown by yamhill and broadway (fox something?).

Looking to live in a very safe neighborhood that is either served by public transpo or the max. If not serviced by those, prefer commute WITH traffic to be less than 30 min on most normal days.

Can afford up to $1000 a month for HOPEfULLY a two bedroom, but can get by on a one bed.

I'm a previous victim of an assault by stranger, so am kind of paranoid about scary situations and people in general, so safety is paramount.

We are 26 ish, both college grads, no pets, no kids, so school quality doesn't matter to us, quiet, non party-ers.

Also what would you say about public transpo, as far as safety for a nicely dressed banker? Kind of a weird question I know! I'd like to be able to have him either walk to the bus or max and get to work so we can have one car instead of two... Leaving me the car at home.

I think that's all the info y'all need.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me.., I genuinely appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,802,355 times
If your significant other is going to be commuting on bus/MAX during the commuter rush hours he will be fine. The problems arise when taking public transit late at night and during the middle of the day when the mentally unstable, inebriates, criminals, and various lowest-common-denominators have nothing better to do but to ride public transit.

Beaverton was and maybe still is, statistically, the safest large city in the Northwest. You can live in one of the many apartment complexes near the MAX on the Westside and that will take your significant other straight downtown. Or if you want something less suburban, you can always try inner Southeast neighborhoods on major bus lines like the 4, 9, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20... Downtown is not that big, and again, during commuter hours it's very safe as well (not that it's really unsafe outside of those times). Portland city and metro are both pretty safe places to live. I can't say I haven't felt unsafe at times when I lived there, but about 99.9% of the time I spent in Portland I felt completely at ease at all times of the day or night in almost every part of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland