Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,626 times

Advertisements

Me and the wife are considering moving to Portland from Ireland in the next 12 months and I was looking to see if anyone could offer any advice on the availability of work in the IT sector in Portland. Currently I do sysadmin work for small companies in Ireland and its one of the few fields that there is still an abundance of available jobs here. I had a look through a few jobs sites and seen one or two roles but not many. Does anyone have any experience looking for these type jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 PM

107 posts, read 278,459 times
It would depend if you have any area of specialization or expertise and how much experience you have. Generalist and/or entry level sys admin type work is somewhat hard to find, especially if you don't live here already. If you had experience in a high demand area, say virtualiztion/cloud computing, then it would be considerably easier. That being said, I put in "Systems Administrator" and area code 503 into dice.com and it had 53 hits, which is more than I would have guessed.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks for that I'll try that site.

The jobs i would have done up until now would have been for small companies 100 - 200 people so they would have been quite general ie Exchange, AD, Hyper-V or VMware, networking. I have about 3 years tech support and 3 years 3 systems administrator experience but wouldn't be at senior sys admin level.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
You will probably have to finance your own work visa. Unless you can offer a skill that cannot be done by a US citizen most companies do not want the hassle and expense of dealing with foreign employees.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Your skill sets are similar to mine. Unfortunately I ended up moving into a different line of work a few years ago. As Ms_Christina states, you'll probably need to get your own work visa. Sys Admin jobs come in three flavors in Portland, extremely low wage "just keep the lights on," types. Senior Level, lots of skills and experience types with decent pay. Or "we need you to do the work of three people, but you're we're only paying a few bucks above minimum wage" types.

Now, if you have Ruby, IOS or Java skills. You'd have a job in a heart beat.

If you don't already have it, you really need to branch out to Linux. Mac Knowledge is a huge plus too. Portland is not a Microsoft only town, despite our relative closeness to Redmond.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I should have mentioned i already have a US passport, I have just lived in Ireland all my life.

Hamellr I guess I would fall under the do the work of 3 people and not get paid well which isnt great.

Out of curiosity are you aware if this IT pay setup would be the same in most US cities.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portross View Post
Thanks for the replys guys. I should have mentioned i already have a US passport, I have just lived in Ireland all my life.

Hamellr I guess I would fall under the do the work of 3 people and not get paid well which isnt great.

Out of curiosity are you aware if this IT pay setup would be the same in most US cities.
Not across all US Cities, no. IT skills can be highly regional. The Midwest doesn't have a lot of call for specialized skills outside of the major cities. Where as Washington DC looks for highly specialized, and/or outdated skills and a security clearance, even for companies that are not directly working with/for the Government.

Yet here in Oregon a security clearance means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: