U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 AM

25 posts, read 61,275 times

Advertisements

I just found out that Oregon law does not recognize psychiatric service dogs. So, since Portland is near or at the top of every list of pet-friendly cities, where are pets allowed and where are they not? What makes Portland pet-friendly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,504,644 times
We have tons of dog friendly, off leash parks. Several animal and dog-centric events/fund raisers.

Many places will have bowls of water set out for dogs to drink from. Places like downtown Beaverton have dog accessible water fountains.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM

780 posts, read 1,447,370 times
This weekend, I saw two dogs walking through the Home Depot on Stark, so I guess that's one place you can take them. Other than that, I've seen them in a mall, my office, on all kinds of trails, at least two restaurants, a church, grocery stores, etc. Whether or not those were all legal or not, I don't know, but I know that I've never seen such a dog friendly area, since moving here last summer.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM

12,823 posts, read 22,219,662 times
On this theme, many states and jurisdictions have increasingly arcane (granted well intentioned, but arcane) regulations regarding animal welfare. Specifically, in Portland and burbs, are there any laws against leaving a dog (properly crated, with food, water, bedding, with windows cracked, shades up, etc) in a light truck, inside the passenger compartment? The most arcane I've seen in my locale have been simply adequate ventilation food and water required, but no overall ban on leaving them there (unless a really long time, bordering on abandonment). I've heard of a few jurisdictions elsewhere in my state taking it further, as in, no leaving under any circumstances (a great boon for the doggie day care business, hmmm, quid quo pro perhaps?).

Please advise.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,036,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amurphy View Post
I just found out that Oregon law does not recognize psychiatric service dogs. So, since Portland is near or at the top of every list of pet-friendly cities, where are pets allowed and where are they not? What makes Portland pet-friendly?
I think the dog friendly reputation came from the fact that there are so many dog owners in Portland and dog parks and restaurants and shops that leave out bowls of water in the front of their establishments in the summer for passerby dogs. Although I am seeing less and less of these water bowls. Also there are dog specialty stores that sell all types of items for your pooch. And doggie daycare places are springing up everywhere.

There are specialty veterinarians who cater to only one type of animal. There are veterinary hosptials with state-of-the-art medical equipment.

I think that's where Portland gets its pet friendly reputation. But when it comes to renting with pets, not so much. As a pet owner, I have found renting more and more difficult. Each time I have looked for an apartment, fewer and fewer where willing to take my kitty. I believe this is because as the vacancy rates diminish, landlords can be more fussy in who they rent to and would rather not take a chance on pet damage.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM

53 posts, read 94,307 times
I've found - since moving here from a certain metropolitan area a dozen hours south of here - that the dog-friendliness of the Portland area comes primarily in a couple ways:

1. It can generally be assumed that if you are going somewhere, and it is not a place that serves food/drink, your well-behaved dog will be welcomed inside. Home Depot was mentioned, I bring my dog there all the time. Numerous other stores too. People are almost always happy to see a *well-behaved* dog and are generous with pets and treats. This was not the case in the Bay Area. Of course, you should always ask before waltzing into someones shop with a dog.

2. Trails, outdoor space - there are a lot of nice parks, but it's noteworthy to me, in contrast to the Bay Area, that by default all outdoor hiking trails etc. are open to dogs too. This is different than what I was used to in the CA parks where many were off-limits to dogs and you had to seek out ones where you could bring them.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 PM

1,621 posts, read 3,662,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amurphy View Post

Are you sure? Check this out.

Relating to assistance animals; creating new provisions; amending ORS 90.390, 167.352, 346.685, 346.687, 346.690, 346.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM

10,878 posts, read 18,730,634 times
Dogs in public places should be on a leash unless you are in a designated off-leash area.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 PM

466 posts, read 983,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
On this theme, many states and jurisdictions have increasingly arcane (granted well intentioned, but arcane) regulations regarding animal welfare. Specifically, in Portland and burbs, are there any laws against leaving a dog (properly crated, with food, water, bedding, with windows cracked, shades up, etc) in a light truck, inside the passenger compartment? The most arcane I've seen in my locale have been simply adequate ventilation food and water required, but no overall ban on leaving them there (unless a really long time, bordering on abandonment). I've heard of a few jurisdictions elsewhere in my state taking it further, as in, no leaving under any circumstances (a great boon for the doggie day care business, hmmm, quid quo pro perhaps?).

Please advise.
We lived in Portland - and would love to move back, if we would find a decent house/apartment for under $900 a month - and we never had problems leaving our dog - she is a Labrador-mix - in the car. We took her nearly everywhere with us, and when we went shopping or for a meal and she couldn't come with us, she stayed in the car. Never longer than an hour or so, and nobody said anything against it. We never left her in the car when it was above 80 F obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland