Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM

88 posts, read 286,543 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I just moved to the west side recently and noticed that there is a quite a few Indian max riders at Elmonica station. I think there must be a big Indian community nearby. Does anyone know where? Is there a good Indian restaurant or grocery store worth a visit? I like authentic Indian food (the real spicy curry). Thanks. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Intel employees. Intel is either the first or second largest employer of foreigners with H1 Visas. Most of these are single bachelors, low paid, won't be here for long. So there isn't the type of Community you're looking for.

There are some good Indian Places in the area, Lentil Garden on 185th and India Flavors on Walker and 158th. They are both constantly filled with Indian nationals, so the food must be halfway good. If you go to Portland there are a lot more good Indian options.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM

132 posts, read 323,981 times
Nike also employs a lot of Indian immigrants.

There's a complex near the Elmonica stop and the Fred Meyer at 158th and Walker where many of them live.

But like hamellr said, many just seem to be here to work for a few years. There are a few Indian grocery stores in the area.

I wouldn't recommend going over there, they seemed a little... protective of their community.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,620 times
Indian grocery stores in the area: I've been to India Sweets and Spices, India Connect, and Apna Bazaar. I'm not Indian, but the people have been friendly and helpful to me.

One of my favorite Indian restaurants is Abhruchi, at Murray and Walker. It was recommended by Indian friends of mine as being very authentic, and there's a great daily lunch buffet. Swagat in Beaverton also has been reliable, as has India Palace at Cornell and 25th.

If you're ever near the airport at dinner time on Friday or Saturday, Namaste restaurant on Sandy Blvd. has an incredible all-you-can eat buffet for $12, with the largest selection of food I've seen anywhere. Atmosphere in nonexistant -- it looks like it used to be a 1970s family steak house -- but the food and price make it worth it.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Swagath's at Orenco Station also has a great buffet, and it's a beautiful restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland