Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM

144 posts, read 449,451 times

Advertisements

We've been browsing around looking at homes to get an idea of what's out there, and we're pretty bummed about what we've found... Other than Portland itself, it looks like the housing is primarily mass produced tract homes featuring monstrous garage doors as part of the front facade.

I'm hoping we're just looking in the wrong places!

Are there any older areas outside of the city that have homes from the 1910s-1930s?

Or maybe even newer developments based on New Urbanism?

Do any of the suburbs have older downtown areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,102 times
oregon city has a couple of houses from all the way back to the 1840's and a old down town

Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Forest Grove comes to mind. It's a beautiful suburb with old homes. I have heard the schools are good too.

http://www.forestgrove-or.gov/

Last edited by Minervah; 04-30-2012 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: To enter web site

Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM

192 posts, read 454,329 times
First Addition in Lake Oswego has some, but they are prohibitively expensive. You can find a smattering of them in West Linn, particularly in the Willamette neighborhood, but they are sprinkled here and there.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,060 times
There are fewer older homes like you describe out here simply because of the timing of the building and migration westward...

Construction went from east coast to west coast... spanning 300 years.. so the midwest is full of homes of that era and the further west you go, the fewer homes from the 30's and more homes from the '50s and newer. Does that make sense? The classic traditional family houses like that here are at a premium. Expensive and highly prized... while houses like that in the midwest cities... like Indy, KC, etc... not so much.

They do exist, but expect to pay a premium for them. The mid-century modern homes are replacing the Victorian of decades ago. They are in better shape, spacious, mature plantings by now and also quite desirable. Happy hunting!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM

107 posts, read 278,385 times
I second Oregon City and first edition area of Lake Oswego. I have to ask though, Portland isn't a huge city, if you like the old historic homes and neighborhoods, why not just live in Portland?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
Which suburbs are you looking at? Hillsboro has a pretty neat downtown but I've heard it's not the best place to live. Gresham's downtown is all pretty new with a smattering of older buildings. Oregon City is the oldest town but the old part is below the bluff. There's limited land availability there so housing availability will be tight. Forest Grove might be your best bet but not if you're commuting to work in Clackamas.

As for new urbanism, the only one I can think of is Orenco Station.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Actually there are lots of pre WWII homes but you need to look in older areas. This is the best tool for finding listings where you can filter by age: RMLS.com™ Regional Multiple Listing Service - Residential Search

I came up with 50 constructed between 1910 and 1935 listed between $200T and $500T in Clackamas County alone.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM

144 posts, read 449,451 times
Thanks everyone; definitely some good places to check out in there. We're not ruling out Portland itself, just trying to get a feel for what the other options outside of the city might be. We currently live on one of the barrier islands surrounding Charleston, SC. The city itself is beautiful, but most of the area around it is just dime-a-dozen Anytown, USA - plazas and subdivisions. We won't get to visit the area before moving, and were just trying to see if there were going to be other options outside of the city itself that we'd like.

My office would be in Lake Oswego (Autodesk). My husband went back to school for a second degree in Electrical Engineering and is finishing up in April 2013. He's already been contacted by Intel here in SC, so we have our fingers crossed for opportunities in Hillsboro.

Ultimately, I'm sure we'll need a real estate agent's help, but it looks like we'll have a bunch of places to look into, so thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM

478 posts, read 881,538 times
You might check out Milwaukie, Oak Grove, Jennings Lodge and Gladstone. All have some older housing stock, especially along the Trolley Trail. We are in the process of buying a 1923 bungalow in Jennings Lodge that's on the Clackamas County historic register- they are out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland