Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 AM

285 posts, read 851,295 times

Advertisements

Can anybody recommend a hotel or a safe part of town to stay for a few days for a visit? Even in the suburbs is ok.

Is there a theme park within a couple hours drive by chance?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,455,239 times
What are you looking to do while in Portland?

Do you want a decent hotel, or you trying to go as cheap as possible?

There are two "theme parks." One is a very small and child oriented park named Enchanted Forest about seven miles south of Salem.

The other is Wild Waves, owned by Six Flags with all the negative connotations that has. It actually used to be two parks, one that was a few roller coasters and a few other child-oriented rides. Then a water park next to it. Six Flags took over both and integrated them into one park.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
There is Oak's Amusement Park on the Willamette near the Sellwood bridge.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 PM

638 posts, read 1,179,845 times
We just went to Oaks Park today. It was really fun! A great deal, easy to get in and out of, good rides, view of the Willamette. Two thumbs up from a couple of 45 year olds!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
I met the Robert Bollinger, fellow who owned the park years as he was planning to donate it to a non-profit. You couldn't meet a better employer, his employees admired and respected him. He grew up and lived in one of the little houses you can still see in the park, as did several of his key employees. http://www.pdxhistory.com/html/oaks_park.html

The Bollingers also founded Funtastic Rides which is still in business today.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 AM

200 posts, read 509,646 times
About 1-1/2 years ago we stayed two nights in the Hotel deLuxe at 729 SW 15th Ave, and we were very pleased with the accomodations and the location. My wife and I are both seniors and we found it a reasonable walk to local attractions like the Chinese and Japanese Gardens etc. At about $130 an evening, the rate was a little higher than some chains, but we thought it was well worth it for the conveniences and proximity to the downtown area. You might want to check reviews on the Trip Advisor website.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
There is Oak's Amusement Park on the Willamette near the Sellwood bridge.
Ah! Totally forgot about that one! And it's an old historic one. Very bad of me!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,184,406 times
Without knowing your budget or what you want access to, hard to give suggestions? I gather you will have a car. Downtown hotels can be expensive for parking. I've used Hotwire and Priceline and stayed at both the Aloft and Sheraton out near the airport. Free parking. Access to light rail when I didn't want to drive. One other time, with my wife, stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Lake Oswego. Really nice location, lots of trees, peaceful, near good restaurants, and free parking and close to major highways to get to Portland (though not close enough to be noisy), but a few miles from downtown, and not near light rail. We booked directly with the hotel. We wanted to stay in Lake Oswego since we were looking at homes in the area. If you use Hotwire or Priceline, check www.betterbidding.com to see what others have gotten in the area.

If Hotel Deluxe is the one I'm thinking of (and I looked at a map to jog my memory), it's okay, with some charm (lovely lobby), but smallish rooms and somewhat thin walls and expensive parking. Very good location; walking distance to downtown sights, and next to light rail. We got a good rate through Priceline. I agree with idea to look at Tripadvisor for reviews, though I did note at the time (2-3 years ago) that as soon as a critical one of that hotel appeared, one or two positive ones would appear almost immediately. Maybe coincidence.

Felt safe in all of these areas. We weren't out real late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland