Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Lighten up. You, and anyone else who cares, knows exactly where I was referencing.
Not until I had to read the whole, inane post. The only reference I've ever heard to "Crook County" is the one in Oregon. I don't give a flying whatever about Cook County.

And, thanks, but I'll lighten up when I want to, not when you tell me to. Mind yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't understand why you're taking this personally. I'm not mocking anything. Do you think I'm the only person who thinks this way or has these opinions? Or does it just alarm you that a transplant comes in and has opinions from the outset without having "tenure." I'm sorry, but you can't expect me to fork over 8% of my income to the state treasury each year and just shut up.
I'm so sorry to hear that no one told you there was income tax until after you moved. Because surely, you must not have known it was there before moving.

How'd you miss that?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that no one told you there was income tax until after you moved. Because surely, you must not have known it was there before moving.

How'd you miss that?
What are you talking about? I wasn't complaining about the income tax at all. I was saying that, despite the fact that I've only lived in Oregon for a year and a half, I am a tax paying citizen who deserves to have a voice and a vote.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I wasn't complaining about the income tax at all. I was saying that, despite the fact that I've only lived in Oregon for a year and a half, I am a tax paying citizen who deserves to have a voice and a vote.
Who is arguing against that? Everyone has a right to vote and freedom of speech....you just happen to be a minority in Oregon, something I am guessing you are not use to being.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who is arguing against that?
No one is arguing, but some are insinuating I should leave the state simply for stating facts.

Quote:
Everyone has a right to vote and freedom of speech....you just happen to be a minority in Oregon, something I am guessing you are not use to being.
I'm not sure a poll has been conducted in the state to determine who thinks Oregon is business friendly, and who says it isn't so I'm not sure this can be determined. However, I just follow the money and investment and it's not coming to this state, nor is it being created in this state.

Here is a rough estimate that the impact of having Washington State's per capita GDP could have on Oregon's economy. This is a very rough simulation, I admit.

Oregon's per capita income is $44,447 and Washington's is $52,403 which is a difference of about $7,956 per person. Oregon's population is 3.9 million. If we had WA's per capita GDP, we would add $31 billion in output to the entire economy. Additionally, because we're primarily income taxed, if you taxed that income just at 5% (which is an EXTREMELY conservative figure knowing that we have brackets up to 10%), you would add ~$1.5 billion in additional revenues. That pays for a Columbia River crossing in one or two years, it gets more homeless off the streets, it improves schools, it gets people off food stamps, it gets Oregon and Oregon State into Top 100 status, etc etc.

And this is all to scale because it's per capita. So we don't need to mow Portland down and turn it into a parking lot like Seattle. I'm not advocating that Oregon be like Washington, what I'm advocating is that, on a per capita basis, Oregonians are $8,000 better off. Is that a crime? It's possible to do this without selling your soul.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
No one is arguing, but some are insinuating I should leave the state simply for stating facts.
It is probably because you always seem to be so negative to where you live, which I totally understand, I have been in the NYC metro for a little bit longer than you have been in Oregon and I have found myself to be very critical of this area and looking to move back to Oregon...I wouldn't be surprised if you moved out of Oregon in the next couple years because it doesn't sound like the state has been a right fit for you and that will just continue to get to you.

Quote:
I'm not sure a poll has been conducted in the state to determine who thinks Oregon is business friendly, and who says it isn't so I'm not sure this can be determined. However, I just follow the money and investment and it's not coming to this state, nor is it being created in this state.

Here is a rough estimate that the impact of having Washington State's per capita GDP could have on Oregon's economy. This is a very rough simulation, I admit.

Oregon's per capita income is $44,447 and Washington's is $52,403 which is a difference of about $7,956 per person. Oregon's population is 3.9 million. If we had WA's per capita GDP, we would add $31 billion in output to the entire economy. Additionally, because we're primarily income taxed, if you taxed that income just at 5% (which is an EXTREMELY conservative figure knowing that we have brackets up to 10%), you would add ~$1.5 billion in additional revenues. That pays for a Columbia River crossing in one or two years, it gets more homeless off the streets, it improves schools, it gets people off food stamps, it gets Oregon and Oregon State into Top 100 status, etc etc.

And this is all to scale because it's per capita. So we don't need to mow Portland down and turn it into a parking lot like Seattle. I'm not advocating that Oregon be like Washington, what I'm advocating is that, on a per capita basis, Oregonians are $8,000 better off. Is that a crime? It's possible to do this without selling your soul.
You do realize that it is the Washington side that has been holding out on paying for the Columbia River Crossing, not the Oregon side?

So you are saying Oregon isn't as wealthy as the state of Washington? That is a duh moment, no one is claiming it is. Washington has a much more international city than Oregon with a deep harbor that can handle the amount of goods that get shipped through Seattle. There has also been a number of corporations that have started up in Seattle that are now massive companies that continues to help the economy grow there. Oregon has it's own active companies that have helped Oregon grow as well.

So if your trying to say Oregon isn't Washington, then you are stating the obvious. Also, Washington has its own issue with homeless, the Northwest is an attractive area for homeless, that doesn't have much to do with the economies in the Northwest.

You also are aware that the Oregon University structure functions as a whole rather than individual universities like other states? Oregon divided its higher education programs up by the universities so that there isn't duplicate programs, granted some duplication have happened over the years, it has helped Oregon have a much more efficient university system that have been very beneficial to Oregonians.

Seattle is a parking lot? Care to explain?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
It is probably because you always seem to be so negative to where you live, which I totally understand, I have been in the NYC metro for a little bit longer than you have been in Oregon and I have found myself to be very critical of this area and looking to move back to Oregon...I wouldn't be surprised if you moved out of Oregon in the next couple years because it doesn't sound like the state has been a right fit for you and that will just continue to get to you.
It doesn't get to me at all. It's clear you haven't been paying attention at all. I had certain factors that contributed to my decision to move here. None of which are your business, though I already mentioned most of them. So nothing is getting to me.

Quote:
You do realize that it is the Washington side that has been holding out on paying for the Columbia River Crossing, not the Oregon side?
Your point?

Quote:
So you are saying Oregon isn't as wealthy as the state of Washington?
Well I certainly typed that, but I wasn't trying to focus on that. This really isn't a comparison of Oregon vs Washington at all. I'm trying to demonstrate, mathematically, the impact on Oregon's tax base if Oregonians, on a per capita basis, had the same standard of living as Washingtonians.

Quote:
That is a duh moment, no one is claiming it is.
I didn't say anyone claimed it was. I was using them as an example.

Quote:
Washington has a much more international city than Oregon with a deep harbor that can handle the amount of goods that get shipped through Seattle.
Because we all know economies can only grow when there's a deep water port. Also, I didn't say that Portland or Oregon need to be the same size as Seattle/Washington, I said I wanted our residents to be just as well off as theirs. There's a difference. I am talking on a per capita basis.

Quote:
There has also been a number of corporations that have started up in Seattle that are now massive companies that continues to help the economy grow there. Oregon has it's own active companies that have helped Oregon grow as well.
Right, but Oregon does a good job of chasing its home grown companies away.

Integra's move to Vancouver is a reality check for Portland tech | OregonLive.com

If you look in that article, you'll see Oregon's start-up tech industry is suffering, in addition to a financial sector that's a bit too branchy. I think Portland and Oregon could really benefit from being draws for technology industry and finance. Oh, also completely take over the beer, beverage and bottling industry.

Here's some more information on tech start ups:
Oregon startups find success -- some find it elsewhere | OregonLive.com

You'll see it's just a really mixed record, at best, all around

Quote:
So if your trying to say Oregon isn't Washington, then you are stating the obvious.
Good news, I am not trying to say that at all. You totally missed the point.

Quote:
Also, Washington has its own issue with homeless, the Northwest is an attractive area for homeless, that doesn't have much to do with the economies in the Northwest.
Valid point.

Quote:
You also are aware that the Oregon University structure functions as a whole rather than individual universities like other states? Oregon divided its higher education programs up by the universities so that there isn't duplicate programs, granted some duplication have happened over the years, it has helped Oregon have a much more efficient university system that have been very beneficial to Oregonians.
That's fine, but the state needs a major research university. OHSU is great, of course, but look at the impact a school like Stanford had on the bay area.

Quote:
Seattle is a parking lot? Care to explain?
Bit of an over exaggeration. I don't like big cities.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
It doesn't get to me at all. It's clear you haven't been paying attention at all. I had certain factors that contributed to my decision to move here. None of which are your business, though I already mentioned most of them. So nothing is getting to me.

That's fine, but the state needs a major research university. OHSU is great, of course, but look at the impact a school like Stanford had on the bay area.

Bit of an over exaggeration. I don't like big cities.
Actually it seems like all you do is come on here to complain about Portland and Oregon, so it doesn't sound like you like the city or state that much, you can try and deny that, but it will eventually catch up to you.

OHSU is currently expanding and could eventually be the place that discovered the cure for cancer, which is an impressive feat. Just because you don't think it is a Stanford, doesn't mean it isn't a great place to get a medical education.

It makes sense that you don't like big cities, you seem to complain about them a lot....I can only assume you don't actually live in Portland and probably hardly ever make any trips into the city because it probably scares you too much.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Actually it seems like all you do is come on here to complain about Portland and Oregon, so it doesn't sound like you like the city or state that much, you can try and deny that, but it will eventually catch up to you.

OHSU is currently expanding and could eventually be the place that discovered the cure for cancer, which is an impressive feat. Just because you don't think it is a Stanford, doesn't mean it isn't a great place to get a medical education.

It makes sense that you don't like big cities, you seem to complain about them a lot....I can only assume you don't actually live in Portland and probably hardly ever make any trips into the city because it probably scares you too much.
If my posts bother you, you are free to use the ignore feature.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Who is better off between Oregon and Washington depends on the size of your paycheck. Thanks to the regressive nature of sales tax, low income people are much better off in Oregon. For median incomes, it's a tossup. Higher incomes pay more taxes in Oregon.

If VTHokieFan is sending 8% of his income to the state treasury, he is well up into the 6 figure income group. Life is tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland