Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM

30 posts, read 42,755 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My husband and I have been considering a move to Seattle and have spent time visiting and researching and are now thinking of Portland also. I was wondering what advice or facts etc anyone could throw out there to help make our decision a bit easier!

A little about us:
We are in our mid 20s - no kids, nightlife isnt all that important to us, although we do not want a place that totally shuts down after 8pm. Something in the middle of closing early and open til 2am would be nice. We spend a lot of time at home together but would like to go outdoors and have fun. (we currently live in Texas and melt if we go outside) We do not have kids, we do have dogs! My husband can transfer to several locations in the area with his company and that would leave me (with a Bachelors degree) hunting for a job... any kind of job. MY degree is basically general studies. I think that is about it. We do not know a budget yet, but it is one of the reasons we are hesitant for Seattle due to not knowing what kind of money I can make or how long it will take for me to get a job up there.... same in Portland I suppose however, from research it seems to be a little more "livable."

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Jobs are harder to find around Portland than Seattle, heck my grand-children's nanny in Portland has a Bachelor's degree. Lots of people in the Northwest have degrees, what are you doing with your's now?

Generally speaking housing is less expensive in Portland but Seattle housing prices are not monolithic. You need to look in the vicinity where your husband would work and use a home finder such as what John L. Scott offers for a quick look (they show MLS listings on a GoogleMap). Housing, whether you buy or rent, will be more expensive in the NW.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM

Thanks! Thats what we are afraid of. Currently I am working at a law firm with my degree. We understand housing will be expensive no matter what area we are in the NW - We just cannot get any lead or preference on Seattle or Portland. I think both are great choices for us. Its a tough choice! Thanks for your advice! We appreciate it!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Positions in law firms are often obtained by networking. If your current employer has an emphasis in one aspect of law focus on those practices in your target market. Everyone looks at the majors, were I you I would look at the smaller firms.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
I've lived in both. I think I still prefer Seattle, and my wife prefers Portland I think. She likes the smaller size and the fact that you can get into the country (she grew up in ranching areas) quickly. I like the water in Seattle. Portland is not a water town, unless you count rain. They're really not that dissimilar, other than size. I feel like Seattle people in general tend to not be quite as laid back as Portland people (some would say many Portlanders are too laid back). On the flip, I think that generally people in Seattle have a little more ambition and drive than people in Portland.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
Housing will be more expensive here than in Texas definitely. Your money wont go as far but Portland will be a bit less expensive than SEA. But like Nell said, more jobs in SEA. And more of a city/metropolitan atmosphere. Personally I prefer SEA for this reason and that its on the water. Portland just has a funk to it that isnt my style...TOO laid back, almost lazy in some senses, if that makes any sense.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks yall! We know everything will be more expensive! We just really do not like Texas for many different reasons and we finally have the guts to cut ties (in a good way) and move! This is a really hard choice! If yall think of anything else, please continue to post! This is something my husband and I have been and will continue to research for a while!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
Portland just has a funk to it that isnt my style...TOO laid back, almost lazy in some senses, if that makes any sense.
I told you some would say that

Portland is cheaper in some respects. But wages are usually less as well. So keep that in mind.

Would he be getting the same money in either place?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM

one other thought. I feel like people in Portland and constantly trying to reassure and affirm to themselves that Portland is great. I don't feel like there was as much forced civic pride in Seattle as there is here. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 AM

What makes you think that Portland's civic pride is 'forced'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland