Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 AM

67 posts, read 159,430 times

Advertisements

I'll be retiring in a couple of years. My wife and I now live in a small town on the SE coast of the US and are planning to move when I retire. We are investigating several places, of which Portland is one. We loved it when we visited last September. (We have already visited Ashland and ruled it out as too small a town for us and too tourist-oriented. Beautiful setting, though.)

A concern is how we would hold up in Portland during the winter months of gloom. The only folks I know there go skiing in the winter. We are not skiers (we enjoy hiking and bicycle riding). We wonder what sort of outdoor activities not involving snow are popular in the area in winter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
I can't speak for everyone but people I know still go out and do what they normally do--they bike, walk, hike, jog, etc. Buy a gore tex jacket and go out and about. It's not the hard hard rain that many people are used to. The rain is usually light, and can stop and start throughout the day--it's not CONSTANT rain. There are some walking groups around, etc. and I don't know that they ever take breaks.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
... people I know still go out and do what they normally do--they bike, walk, hike, jog, etc. ... The rain is usually light, and can stop and start throughout the day--it's not CONSTANT rain. There are some walking groups around, etc. and I don't know that they ever take breaks.
Very helpful. When we visited the city, my wife & I noted that even within Washington Park, in the Arboretum & elsewhere, one can take a nice stroll. I was wondering if the trails become very muddy in winter.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:41 AM

65 posts, read 252,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NC View Post
The only folks I know there go skiing in the winter. We are not skiers (we enjoy hiking and bicycle riding). We wonder what sort of outdoor activities not involving snow are popular in the area in winter.
For an excuse to get out to Hood do people go snowshoeing (its just hiking in the snow) or are there cross country ski trails to go to? That might be a nice winter activity for non-skiers... albiet involving snow

Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
theres lots of paved areas in/around town for walking/biking during the wetter months as well...or take a short trip to the coast and walk along our incredible beaches. They have their own paticular lure even in the gray and drizzle....especially if you have the entire beach to yourselves and a bag full of agates.
I think Forest Park is just as beautiful when its draped in a light mist, so quiet and mysterious...the moisture brings out some of the deeper woodland scents that you can breathe in deep and does a detox on your soul. When you can sit there and listen, hearing nothing but the water dripping, and chipmunks scampering, its very very hard to believe youre in the middle of a city. Myself, I like walking about in a light rain/drizzle out in the parks. (is that obvious? lol) Then wrap it up w/a hot drink at a local pub.
I think you'll find a bit of wetness doesnt keep everyone in hiding. Some, yes, everyone, far from it.
Best of luck!
Tiffany

Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I can't speak for everyone but people I know still go out and do what they normally do--they bike, walk, hike, jog, etc. Buy a gore tex jacket and go out and about. It's not the hard hard rain that many people are used to. The rain is usually light, and can stop and start throughout the day--it's not CONSTANT rain. There are some walking groups around, etc. and I don't know that they ever take breaks.
I've visited Portland about 10 times and 9 have been in the winter - and yet I still plan to relocate there! OTT is right - people I know there just buy Gore Tex and go out and do the same things they would when it isn't rainy. I went on a lovely hike on Mt. Tabor on my last visit in January of this year, in a misty, light drizzle. The friends I was visiting belong to a running club that meets for coffee every Sunday, and then runs either on Tabor or in Forest Park rain or shine, so I hiked while they ran. It was quite chilly that weekend - unusually so, they said - but otherwise wonderful. I enjoy the atmosphere in that kind of weather, perhaps from living in the SF fog for so many years. And I would rather hike in cool, damp weather than uncomfortable heat.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:33 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
You get used to the climate. The temps are moderate most of the year. The drizzle is pretty doable, if you are the hardy outdoor sort. Getting your daylight filtered through cloud cover for months at a time is the killer for most. If this isn't an issue its paradise for someone who doesnt want the extremes of temperature. I enjoyed hiking in Oregon. You cant get bored with the amount of trails available. I biked year round for awhile and I can say fenders are a must unless you like a wet muddy back. Beaches are nearly deserted in the winter and storm watching is great over large cups of coffee. I tend to avoid the touristy spots except in the winter months when I can actually park and or find a seat in an oceanside restaurant. Goretex should be tax deductible in Oregon. I still own lots of it .

Squidlo

Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 PM

136 posts, read 998,421 times
People in Oregon hike and bike year-round regardless of how much it is raining, more so on the west side of the state where it hardly ever snows at the lower elevations of under 2000 feet. Just make sure you have good rain gear (Goretex!!!!) and a good rain hat or hood for hiking. Personally, the rain didn't get to me that much since it is more of a constant drizzle than a hard rain, it was all the low-hanging clouds for months on end that really got to me, but you have to get out for your sanity and fitness. The good thing about Oregon, except for southern Oregon, is that it vary rarely gets too hot so you can hike or bike all day in comfort during summers-Oregon Summers are awesome.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:47 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
Hi Mike. Many folks say they get used to the weather, but I never have. I love being outdoors but I spend too much time inside here, because I can't stand being out in the cold rain. Oregonians love to go to football games in the rain, hike in the rain and pretty much turn a blind eye to it. I wish I could. I've tried, but the bone-chilling damp cold is really hard for me to shake off. I'm moving to NC next year for better weather.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Many folks say they get used to the weather, but I never have. I love being outdoors but I spend too much time inside here, because I can't stand being out in the cold rain. ... I'm moving to NC next year for better weather.
What part of NC?

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland