Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I HAD to come here 18 months ago and I want to go home so bad I think I would walk .
Did they catch the kidnappers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:44 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Lol!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,046 times
I have traveled all over the US and Canada, so I know I will like it there (at least geographically). I have lived in Austin for a short while and did not like it and I loathe Dallas. But thanks for the suggestion Andy... We are not moving unless we have good jobs obviously... I was just looking for telecom suggestions. I can transfer anywhere with Aflac and plan on it. I was just curious what the demand was for it there. I make good money doing it.
And TRUST ME... housing here in West Texas is way more expensive. I have a friend in Portland that used to live here as well. A 2 bed 1 bath is running $1,200 to $1,500 here. I am not looking to live in the Pearl, NW district or anything super fancy. Just somewhere not totally ghetto.
I have found some decent apartments and called on them. The average price I am finding for a 2 bed is $800.

I'm going to be quite honest with our reasons to move away from Texas...
1. We are not religious. And trust me, you move here and you will get religion pushed upon you AND your children.
2. We are very liberal.
3. I am so sick of being a minority here. It sounds racist but a I have plenty of personal reasons to feel this way. I will not elaborate.
4. The school system in most parts of Texas are horrible.
5. The weather.
6. We are looking for a more artsy and free spirited atmosphere.

I have more but I'll spare you the rant. I really am not worried about the cost of living there. We budget our money well and we would not be stupid enough to move across the country to a place with a higher cost of living if we did not have better jobs. Mainly my husband. With Aflac I control what I make since it is commission.

I do have a very good friend there so atleast I will have one familiar face. And I also heard that though it's hard to make new friends, once you do, they're close friends.

You only live once, why not explore new options in life and see what's out there? I'm trying to make this transition smooth and do plenty of research. I like to see the glass half full. Hope my comment about race did not offend anyone. And thanks for the positive responses and advice.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantransplant? View Post
I have traveled all over the US and Canada, so I know I will like it there (at least geographically). I have lived in Austin for a short while and did not like it and I loathe Dallas. But thanks for the suggestion Andy... We are not moving unless we have good jobs obviously... I was just looking for telecom suggestions. I can transfer anywhere with Aflac and plan on it. I was just curious what the demand was for it there. I make good money doing it.
And TRUST ME... housing here in West Texas is way more expensive. I have a friend in Portland that used to live here as well. A 2 bed 1 bath is running $1,200 to $1,500 here. I am not looking to live in the Pearl, NW district or anything super fancy. Just somewhere not totally ghetto.
I have found some decent apartments and called on them. The average price I am finding for a 2 bed is $800.

1. We are not religious. And trust me, you move here and you will get religion pushed upon you AND your children.
2. We are very liberal.
3. I am so sick of being a minority here. It sounds racist but a I have plenty of personal reasons to feel this way. I will not elaborate.
5. The weather.

I have more but I'll spare you the rant. I really am not worried about the cost of living there. We budget our money well and we would not be stupid enough to move across the country to a place with a higher cost of living if we did not have better jobs. Mainly my husband. With Aflac I control what I make since it is commission.

I do have a very good friend there so atleast I will have one familiar face. And I also heard that though it's hard to make new friends, once you do, they're close friends.

You only live once, why not explore new options in life and see what's out there? I'm trying to make this transition smooth and do plenty of research. I like to see the glass half full. Hope my comment about race did not offend anyone. And thanks for the positive responses and advice.
Interesting. Where are the 2BR you are finding for $800?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
Quote:
2. We are very liberal.
5. The weather.

You're not alone in most of those. I wouldn't classify myself as "very liberal", but I'm certainly pretty liberal for Texas. #5 is what gets me. I've been in DFW off-and-on for ~25 years of my 31 year lifespan; it gets old.

Otherwise I agree with #s 1,3, 5 and 6. The rare "artsy" thing around here is generally corporate-driven and pretty lame. I don't have kids, so # 4 doesn't pertain to me. Definitely don't disagree with you, though.

It's time for a change of scenery and climate for me.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
Interesting. Where are the 2BR you are finding for $800?
Columbia Ridge 2 bed 1 bath $780
Conestoga Park 2 bed 1 bath $775
Glenbrook $795
Greenbriar Village 2 bed 1 bath $765

And I have about 9 more on my list but you get the gist.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
You're not alone in most of those. I wouldn't classify myself as "very liberal", but I'm certainly pretty liberal for Texas. #5 is what gets me. I've been in DFW off-and-on for ~25 years of my 31 year lifespan; it gets old.

Otherwise I agree with #s 1,3, 5 and 6. The rare "artsy" thing around here is generally corporate-driven and pretty lame. I don't have kids, so # 4 doesn't pertain to me. Definitely don't disagree with you, though.

It's time for a change of scenery and climate for me.

Well the art scene here has no existance. So I guess there seems much better than here. lol. But I'm glad I'm not the only who feels this way. I wouldn't expect people not from TX to see how valid my points are. But I feel they are very serious to me and my family.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Columbia Ridge 2 bed 1 bath $780
Conestoga Park 2 bed 1 bath $775
Glenbrook $795
Greenbriar Village 2 bed 1 bath $765

And I have about 9 more on my list but you get the gist.
When youre considering these particular apartments, I suppose the most important thing now is location. Do you have a monthly budget in mind? Will you use mass transit or drive? This will determine a lot where you live, especially if you dont want to pay over 4 bucks for gas. Do you want to be within walking distance of stores and restaurants? If so it will cost you. Thats why the suburbs are so much more affordable but the trade off is you drive more. Do you know where you would work? What kind of commute do you want to have? And finally, schools. Portland schools are closing, firing teachers and really in bad shape. The better schools, are in, you guessed it, the burbs. There is a lot to consider but we can help you narrow it down better with some more info. And personally, I would never live right off of Sandy Blvd. which is where your first apt. listing is located.
I assume youve made arrangements to visit Portland for a while to see if you like it and go apt. hunting?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
When youre considering these particular apartments, I suppose the most important thing now is location. Do you have a monthly budget in mind? Will you use mass transit or drive? This will determine a lot where you live, especially if you dont want to pay over 4 bucks for gas. Do you want to be within walking distance of stores and restaurants? If so it will cost you. Thats why the suburbs are so much more affordable but the trade off is you drive more. Do you know where you would work? What kind of commute do you want to have? And finally, schools. Portland schools are closing, firing teachers and really in bad shape. The better schools, are in, you guessed it, the burbs. There is a lot to consider but we can help you narrow it down better with some more info. And personally, I would never live right off of Sandy Blvd. which is where your first apt. listing is located.
I assume youve made arrangements to visit Portland for a while to see if you like it and go apt. hunting?
Some of the apartments seem decent but I'm not sure exactly the type of area they're in. I am planning a trip in November to visit and apt hunt. We will sell one of our cars and keep one. I don't mind driving. I have a 2011 Toyota Corolla so it gets great gas mileage. I have never really used public transit before. Where I live it's not very safe considering the people that use it. I would like to be in walking distance to a few places. Maybe a grocery store or something. Nothing is in walking distance here so that would be something new as well. I would work as an insurance agent for Aflac like I do now. I'm self employed so I won't really have a "destination" as far as an office goes. I'm sure we will end up in the suburbs. It seems more affordable for the most part. Thanks for the tip about Sandy Blvd. I will keep that in mind.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Here's my 2 cents: I would go with Beaverton/Hillsboro suburbs For the price you want to pay with what you seek in a neighborhood its your best bet. The MAX light rail runs all over Beaverton so it would be easy to get around, especially if you will be down to one car. Beaverton is full of shopping, its mostly the strip mall kind of stuff and not "charming" neighborhood wise but for purposes sake there is more than enough. Likewise, apartments are aplenty there. Schools arent bad either.
Its a good thing youre coming in November. Then you can get a taste of the 9 months of rain and clouds we get here.
I would definitely see what you like online and ask here if the neighborhoods/schools are any good or not. That will help you narrow down your search a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland