Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM

48 posts, read 158,936 times

Advertisements

I live in Salem, which is a little too conservative for my tastes and has way too many illegal immigrants. I just need some peace and quiet, away from SUV radios, sirens, trashy people, crime, and overcrowding. Can anyone tell me about Sandy, OR or other rural areas outside of Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 PM

73 posts, read 318,888 times
All of the Hispanic people I've met have their paperwork in order, and some of them were born in the US. To get an apartment in a complex in Salem, you need to provide a social security number and they use that to do a background check, so any illegal immigrants are more likely to be in rural areas, where they rent from private owners (and where they're closer to agricultural work).

Either way, you can't tell a legal from an illegal immigrant just by looking at them. If you want to get away from Hispanics in general, you'll have to get away from the places that most commonly employ them: construction, restaurants, and farms. Or you'll need to pay a premium to live in a neighborhood that any immigrant, legal or illegal, can't afford.

Last edited by deegers; 06-08-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: poster wanted to edit the post

Old 06-08-2008, 02:19 AM

40 posts, read 124,338 times
musicaldogs,

I understand what you're talking about. Sandy is a fairly small community not far from Portland, on the way to Mt. Hood. I've never lived there, but it seems like a nice community. (Watch your speed driving through Sandy, it's a known speed 'trap'.) Real estate prices are lower there than in Portland.

Some other small towns outside the Portland area are Sherwood, Lake Oswego, Tualatin, Wilsonville, Forest Grove, and others.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 15,160 times
I am also looking for a liberal community out side and close to Portland, no more than an hours drive, that is low in crime with lots of parks (or close to them). I would perfer a place where I can get a house on at least an acre for less than 300k (it can be a fixer upper). Does a place like that exist?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
McMinnville??

Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namf1J View Post
I am also looking for a liberal community out side and close to Portland, no more than an hours drive, that is low in crime with lots of parks (or close to them). I would perfer a place where I can get a house on at least an acre for less than 300k (it can be a fixer upper). Does a place like that exist?
Absolutely! I know of quite a few properties outside Portland on acreage for under $300k. I know of several below $250k that look very nice! There is even one property that states it qualifies for 100% financing. If you want me to email a list of them to you, including the addresses, just send me an email at kw@kwallRealty.com, or feel free to call me at 503-954-6777. I'll email you the list and you can contact me if you want additional inside information on any that you're interested in. I would be happy to help you. Helping buyers find the best buys is what I do every day.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:38 PM

I am locating some nice properties, Namf1J. For example: 3BR home on 2 AC riverfront asking price $259k; or 4BR home in parklike setting with large shop, vineyard, fruit trees, RV pkg, 1 AC, hardwood floors, etc. asking price $298k; or, how about a 3BR VERY nicely updated inside, with large deck overlooking a creek, on nearly 3 AC;....and quite a few more that I think you would like, ranging from $225k - $300k. (Can you tell I love what I do & finding the great deals? Yes, I do...I'm passionate about it.) Good luck! Please don't hesitate to email or call if you would like more information.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWkat View Post
...(Can you tell I love what I do & finding the great deals? Yes, I do...I'm passionate about it.)

remember... if it is already on the market, it is most likely no longer a good deal I have found this to be the case in over 30 yrs of property investing, but things may be changing now

Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post

remember... if it is already on the market, it is most likely no longer a good deal I have found this to be the case in over 30 yrs of property investing, but things may be changing now

No disrespect intended, but that is an absurd comment. There are many excellent deals to be found on the market today. That IS what today's market is all about.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,715 times
wow get away from immigrants.
I am from germany 17 .and you guys talking like if only central america and mexico are the only ones migrating.Please you guys just dnt belive in equaliy.just cause there little diffrent color doesnt mean there always violent.
You Americans make me sick in ur war against Immigration like u own this land.
Why dont u kik out the chinesse or The jews y? Just cause they have alot money huh?
You guys are pethetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland