Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,087 times

Advertisements

hello all.

i've been reading thru the posts about people wanting to relocate to oregon, specifically portland. and i am one more. yes, i am from southern california (not originally). actually - i don't really consider myself a 'southern californian'. it just so happens that i got stuck here for ten years. anyone who knows me, knows that i actually can't stand it. anyhow... i want to relocate to a more eco-friendly, earthy and outdoorsy state. that's where you come in. i'm looking for some real, positive feedback. i'm not looking to 'take over', drive up property values, bring a bad attitude or anything else that harbors negativity. i'm looking for a place to call home that offers beautiful outdoor retreats, trails for my growing obsession for mountain biking, a place where my dogs can romp around free and most of all - the opportunity to have a real conversation with someone on pressing political topics.

i'm an independent contractor working specifically in the creative industry. i've visited portland three times and fell in love with it. so what's the scoop on the job, rent, house market? does it really take 3 months to find work there? i value the opinions and experience of real people. anyone can research stats on the internet. i'm looking for the true experience so any info is GREATLY appreciated.

and please, no need to submit the 'hater' comments. i think we've all had enough of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 PM

125 posts, read 578,513 times
Default Hi inlovewithportland

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlovewithportland View Post
hello all.

i've been reading thru the posts about people wanting to relocate to oregon, specifically portland. and i am one more. yes, i am from southern california (not originally). actually - i don't really consider myself a 'southern californian'. it just so happens that i got stuck here for ten years. anyone who knows me, knows that i actually can't stand it. anyhow... i want to relocate to a more eco-friendly, earthy and outdoorsy state. that's where you come in. i'm looking for some real, positive feedback. i'm not looking to 'take over', drive up property values, bring a bad attitude or anything else that harbors negativity. i'm looking for a place to call home that offers beautiful outdoor retreats, trails for my growing obsession for mountain biking, a place where my dogs can romp around free and most of all - the opportunity to have a real conversation with someone on pressing political topics.

i'm an independent contractor working specifically in the creative industry. i've visited portland three times and fell in love with it. so what's the scoop on the job, rent, house market? does it really take 3 months to find work there? i value the opinions and experience of real people. anyone can research stats on the internet. i'm looking for the true experience so any info is GREATLY appreciated.

and please, no need to submit the 'hater' comments. i think we've all had enough of those.
Okay, scoop - from a relatively new PDX'r (one year) -

Job market - VERY competitive. I'm not sure about your particular field, but in general, have something lined up before you get here, or a good cushion of money to support you for at least six months, should you run into trouble. Network as much as you can BEFORE you get here too - I'm not sure why it is so tough out here-I got lucky and landed a great position within three months of arrival, but others I know were not so lucky - some it took nine months, and this is with a college degree, and management experience in their particular field. Just be prepared for the worst - and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Rent - going to seem WAY cheap to you, coming from So.Cal. Its not to me, however, (originally from NY (NOT the city) and lived in the Southwest for a couple of years, and both of those places had a lower cost of living than here) - and our home prices are still rising, unlike the rest of the country right now.

Which areas of Portland did you visit while you were here? What sort of neighborhood are you looking for? Burbs, downtown, upscale, hippy, older, newer? All "neighborhoods " in portland have distinct flavor about them - its all a matter of taste for the individual.

Word of caution - it IS grey here for a good eight months - its not so much the rain (its usually just a mist anyway) but the low, heavy cloud cover that get so many people down. I will admit, it bothers me quite a bit on some days. If you think that might affect your state of mind - its definitely something to consider before moving here.

and the beaches are way different than so. cal or the east coast - water is FREEZING.

other than that, its a great city, with access to so many beautiful natural wonders only a drive away.

if you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I guess the ugly stuff was deleted already ,but the main point of my post still goes,,you will be guided lovingly by those locals who love what you love

Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
TANGERINE,that post was NOT in response to yours dear,they deleted the one I responded to

Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 PM

251 posts, read 825,359 times
water is FREEZING.

So where usually ppl go for outdoor swimming?
Is ocean also freezing in South Oregon?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,087 times
thanks tangerinepuddle!

i visited the hawthorne district - which i liked very much. i guess you can say i'm looking for the more down to earth, earthy, hippy feel. though i wouldn't mind a more gentrified neighborhood either. i also went to the downtown pearl district. little too posh for my taste. i did like all the red brick buildings downtown! also, burnside? ate at a couple of restaurants in that area? not sure if that is the correct location.

i didn't have a chance to see mt. hood - though i hear it's quite lovely.

the weather aspect doesn't really bother me. i'm probably the only person in southern california who can't stand the year round sunshine...i do like the sun don't get me wrong, but i think it does something to people out here....everyone seems aloof - 'as if' they 'like' don't know what's going on. ha ha! as a matter of fact, we are in our 'fall' and the cooler, gloomier weather makes me quite happy.

as far as beaches - not really my thang either. i'm more of a mountain, woodsie, trail type of person anyhow!

i'm currently entertaining changing careers which i'm sure doesn't help with 'stability' per say, but that's just it - i'm trying to find a career which is more stable than the one i'm in. my particular field is graphic design - which is extremely competitive. especially when everyone thinks they are a designer right out of tech school. no hating, just a bit bitter. any new hot and stable markets in portland besides the medical field?

as far as having a job lined up - would be ideal, but from what i'm told NOT most likely. apparently, people throw away your resume as soon as they see your zip code or area code......

the real estate out there surprises me. houses are on the market for months at a time here. i thought that the bigger cities set the trend for the market.....oh well.

thanks again!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 PM

27 posts, read 80,099 times
I can't give you info on the job market. But I think Portland firms take their time in the decision process of hiring a person.

Housing market hasn't really been affected by the problems nationally.

However, the apartment affordability has decreased substancially this year. Less units on the market, more people coming to Portland, apartments being converted to condos...It has driven up the rents. What was an $895.00 one bedroom can be $1100.00 now in a period of 4 months or so (i'm keeping close tabs on the rental scene).

As for Portland, I believe the cost of living increasing but the salary is not keeping up with the increased costs. I beleive Forbes.com did an article and Portland had one of the most disparate salary-to-living cost indexes.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by end-of-atmosphere View Post
I can't give you info on the job market. But I think Portland firms take their time in the decision process of hiring a person.

Housing market hasn't really been affected by the problems nationally.

However, the apartment affordability has decreased substancially this year. Less units on the market, more people coming to Portland, apartments being converted to condos...It has driven up the rents. What was an $895.00 one bedroom can be $1100.00 now in a period of 4 months or so (i'm keeping close tabs on the rental scene).

As for Portland, I believe the cost of living increasing but the salary is not keeping up with the increased costs. I beleive Forbes.com did an article and Portland had one of the most disparate salary-to-living cost indexes.
Present minimum wage in Oregon according to the DOL is $7.80 per hr with ONLY a $0.15 cent increase slated for Jan 2008. The job market looks very bad, high unemployment, too many people struggling to find work and college educated people are ending up with jobs in the local coffee shop. The end result equates to $7.95 per hr (full-time) won't even get you a one bedroom at $1,100. That's not even factoring in ALL the other costs associated with living. All you have to look forward to is upscale lofts and condos which is going to price many people out and have them move to another city.

Several posters here had indicated that Portland is and has been catering to a specific audiece and it's NOTHING like it used to be.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by end-of-atmosphere View Post
You're focusing on one of the most popular/upscale rental areas in the city. Yes, the Pearl and parts of Nob Hill are and have always been expensive but anyone can look on Craigslist and see that there are plenty of 1 bedrooms for a lot less.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Present minimum wage in Oregon according to the DOL is $7.80 per hr with ONLY a $0.15 cent increase slated for Jan 2008. The job market looks very bad, high unemployment, too many people struggling to find work and college educated people are ending up with jobs in the local coffee shop. The end result equates to $7.95 per hr (full-time) won't even get you a one bedroom at $1,100. That's not even factoring in ALL the other costs associated with living. All you have to look forward to is upscale lofts and condos which is going to price many people out and have them move to another city.

Several posters here had indicated that Portland is and has been catering to a specific audiece and it's NOTHING like it used to be.
You know, you have no idea of what this place is like or not like, since again, you've never been here. Suddenly you read a post about $1100 one bedroom apartments in one of the most EXPENSIVE areas in town and that's Portland across the board? Look at craigslist. There are two and three bedroom HOUSES for less than $1100 let alone apartments. Yes, if you want to live in a fancy area you'll need a better job than being a barista but let's not get carried away. There are a lot of apartments on the east side that are plenty affordable. It's pretty clear you have made up your mind about Portland (and exaggerate things to say the least) based on what you've read and chosen to believe, rather than just experiencing it and it's not something you like, so great. Move on. Find a city you do find to be utopia and move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland