Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,445,757 times

Advertisements

While I was staying in Beaverton I went for a run one night and ran by the Nike headquaters along SW Jay Street. There is an electronic speed limit radar sign on the street for traffic heading north/northwest. It was late on a weeknight so I was the only person jogging and there were no cars coming from either direction. I was pleasantly surprised when I came within range of the sign it actually told me I was running 6 MPH.

I've never seen an electronic speed limit radar sign be able to clock the speed of a pedestrian. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if it is a tongue-in-cheek move since it is right outside Nike HQ.

Here is the sign on Google Maps.
Nike Inc, 1 Bowerman Drive, Beaverton, OR - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Those were the first ones put in, in Washington County. There are more up on Cornelius Pass.

The reason they were put in as there is a small parking lot across from the Nike entrance on Jay Street. Cars were speeding through there and almost running pedestrians down. I think a few people have been hit there, and there have been a couple of accidents as cars turned left into Nike.

Anyways, due to the fact that drive ways do not count as legal roads, and that it's in unincorporated Washington County, NOT the City of Beaverton, they (Washington County,) could/can not legally put in a cross walk there. Even after Nike offered to pay whatever it would take to do so. The best compromise was to put in those speed signs, as the flashing numbers when you go over the speed limit tend to attract attention.

I haven't heard of anyone getting run over since they were put in.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
i've run by electronic ones that could clock me runing and biking, but not here. how funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland