Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,751 times

Advertisements

I think the take-away from this thread is that in cheaper cost of living places, like where I'm from in Texas, people just go to one big store, often HEB, and they find everything they need, and it's all cheap. Here, people have to shop around more to find the best deals on everything. There seem to be more grocery stores per capita here, though, so that makes shopping around easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I definitley would not categorize these two stores together. TJ's is really not very expensive (heck look at their wine selection). There are a few more splurgy things in there, like their desserts or some cheeses. But most of their stuff is not that much in comparison. ANd most of it is made with less ingredients and more natural, so it's totally worth it for us. WE do most of our shopping there. I really missed TJ's when I lived in CO for 5 years. There just really is not another grocery out there like them.
NO WAY am I putting these two stores in the same category. I was just pointing out auxilary stores I sometimes take the bus to. That's why I said I go to New Season's if I feel like spending serious money which is very seldom especially when I can get some of the same things at Fred's a few blocks away for less.

I would be shopping much more at TJ's if I didn't have to take two buses get there; either the one on Holgate or the one on Halsey. I wish they had opened on Hawthorne instead of New Seasons but then there would have been three of them pretty close together.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 PM

219 posts, read 624,001 times
THANK YOU for posting those grocery lists. I appreciate that greatly! And those prices really aren't looking too daunting to me. Potatoes and vegetables and fruits seem to be cheaper than in Iowa, but the meats more expensive. Except of course for sweetcorn probably, LOL. That's really interesting to see those lists. I notice a LOT of "organic" on your lists... probably stupid to even ask if there is a considerable amount of organic food stocked in each grocery store? Where I live there is usually a small section of the store that's marked health food and that is where all the organic stuff is stocked. Is it different there in Portland? We just got a TJ's last year and it was a HUGE deal. Except they put it all the way out in West Des Moines which is yuppie-ville and probably explains why they jacked up a lot of the prices. It's also a very small store and hard to get around in because there are 100 soccer moms flying around with carts. So I never really shop there. I did notice that the prices on things like milk and fresh herbs seemed to be somewhat reasonable considering they are organic/unprocessed. I am hoping that in Portland TJs is a bit more down to earth. Ok so grocery stores in Portland don't even let you use plastic bags? Haha that's pretty great. I like that! I use reusable bags wherever I go, but now you're telling me I get -.05 because of it? Just one of the 4348723408524 reasons why I can't wait to move there.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:44 PM

I know just what you mean about TJ's and the Yuppie perception. A couple of years ago I visited my friend who lives in Cleveland. She mentioned that they had a TJ's but that's where the Yuppies went. I was surprised to hear that and pointed out that in Portland, I see all kinds of different types types at TJ's. They are not all in Yuppie neighborhoods although you do see plenty of soccer moms in all of them.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,751 times
When I got here last year I was surprised to see that there are many more grocery stores per square mile than I was used to, and they are smaller than I was used to. So each store has its own flavor and style. Large organic sections, and local is huge here. It's amazing all you can get that came from within 100 miles. I love grocery shopping here!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
When I got here last year I was surprised to see that there are many more grocery stores per square mile than I was used to, and they are smaller than I was used to. So each store has its own flavor and style. Large organic sections, and local is huge here. It's amazing all you can get that came from within 100 miles. I love grocery shopping here!
For someone like me who walks or buses to grocery stores, that's a really great advantage.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM

I've always wanted to live somewhere where I could walk to my grocery store. Unless I live downtown and want to shop at an elite way-out-of-my-price-range market, or live in some complex next to the interstate and a Wal-Mart, I would never get that option here. Portland has so much to offer that I want. I'm not moving out there because I think it is some Green Utopia. I don't expect to move out there and make it "big". I haven't just heard a lot of talk and rumors and seen pictures, I've actually visited twice and it feels like it could be HOME. I've only ever felt that way about one other city in all my travels, and I've been through quite a few. It's going to be the biggest challenge of my life thus far, it's going to be scary, and it's going to take a lot of hard work.. but I just can't wait.

Sorry to go off on a tangent it's just this little stuff that makes it feel even more real and more exiting.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 PM

That might cause a bit of a problem depending upon your rent budget. The way things have come about over the years, it seems that the neighborhoods with grocery stores within walking distance of apartments tend to have pretty high rents. Many landlords do take advantage of this. At least as a long-time renter who doesn't drive and needs to live walking distance from a grocery store that has been my experience.

But as has been pointed out, exceptions to rules occasionally do happen and there is a chance you could find something affordable within walking distance of a grocery store. Just be prepared to have to look for opportunities.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Yes that is a good point. By walking I'd be willing to walk .5 to 1 mile to get there. Does that make my wish more feasible?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Yes that is a good point. By walking I'd be willing to walk .5 to 1 mile to get there. Does that make my wish more feasible?
I don't think so but it does depend up where you want to be. What do you think your budget will be for rent? For instance, if you live around Beaverton Hillsdale Highway, you can live accross the street from a large grocery store for rents around $700 or so for a one bedroom. Or so I am told. In SE Portland where I live a block and a half from a grocery store they go for $950 with heat $830 the lowest I have seen without. If you go a mile away it isn't too much different. But if you go a couple more miles, it could be less.

I know, it's kind of crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland