Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 AM

23 posts, read 56,228 times

Advertisements

I am planning to go to a community college in portland (I graduate either 2017 or 2018) and then go to Portland State University, which I have found out about with college prowler.com's personal ranking feature, the only reason why I am doing that is so I can get in state tuition and cheaper tuition because of the community college. So what is the current quality of life for a college student of any age in the portland metro. Or should I just keep considering Georgetown and Rice universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwiththecool2 View Post
the only reason why I am doing that is so I can get in state tuition and cheaper tuition because of the community college.
That's your only reason for want to move over a 1000 miles away? They don't have community colleges in AZ?

Portland is not much of a student town (esp. when compared to Boston or other bigger cities, even Seattle). PSU is much more of a commuter or older crowd school. And the other universities are VERY small and kind of insular. Personally I would choose to go to school somewhere else and then look to move to Portland afterwards.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
i don't really see a comparison between PSU and Georgetown/Rice. Those (and their locations) are way different IMO. What do you want to study and where do you want to end up when you graduate?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quality of life is a hard question, as it's what you make of it.

There aren't as many "college friendly" establishments in Portland as there are in towns that are centered around a college. Or even like the University District in Seattle.

I think the real question you should be asking though is, "Does PSU have the program that you want?" And is it a recognized program with a good reputation for your industry?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Yeah, it's kind of pondering whether to eat at McDonald's or Le Cirque.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
If you are looking for a typical college town Portland isn't it. Your quality of life will be the same as anyone else's living in Portland depending upon your social circle, budget, entertainment interests, etc. PSU and the community colleges are commuter schools with people of all ages attending so you will see many different types. The quality of the schools are good but as in any other colleges what you are looking for in your studies may or may not be or not be the best in that field. It all depends upon what you have in mind as a major.

Are you looking for something specific? There is really no way to compare the schools you have mentioned. I think each are unique in their own way.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM

132 posts, read 324,032 times
portland strikes me as more of a post-college town.

lots of young people w/ degrees moving after finishing school somewhere else.

psu is a good enough school, but i don't know that i'd move across the country for it.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
The advantage of going to school in Portland would be if the OP wanted to live here after graduation. It would give him more of an opportunity to network to get a job while attending school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: