Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 PM

132 posts, read 323,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That's the impression I got. If that is the case, I would strongly advise the OP to contact the landlord about the situation.
i thought it over for the rest of the afternoon and i don't think i'm going to pursue this any further, it seems silly that i even made a thread considering it.

i think i'll just rent a b&b or cheap motel for a few days and find roommates once i'm there in person.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Would they consider a post-dated check, dated after you arrive?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Post dating a check is no protection, banks cash them all the time.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
But if they did, wouldn't you have some sort of recourse with the bank?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
Nope, post dating checks is technically check fraud and the bank is never on the line for post dated checks. ( I worked in banking for many years)

Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
This is what I deleted yesterday before because the OP said he wasn't going to do this. But since we are still discussing it, I thought I would come back and post it anyway. Note that it says the adding of a new roommate must be discussed with the landlord and that the new roommate can be a co-tenant or sub-tenant but either way the landlord has to know about it first. It didn't sound to me as if the landlord in the OP's case knew about the transaction going on but maybe he did. In any case, it's worth a look just for the sake of knowledge.

Adding a New Roommate | Nolo.com

Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM

ok.

i sent the potential roommates a very polite email saying everything sounded great, but i just wasn't comfortable sending any money in advance. i sent that a few days ago, and today i received this reply:

Quote:
...For example, we could send you a signed letter acknowledging that the room will be available for you starting August 1, on a month to month lease, and you could sign it and mail it back, or send your own signed one saying you will be moving in August 1st and will begin paying rent that day (or the next if you don't feel comfortable carrying that much cash & need to get to the bank). I think we can swing paying the room's rent before the 1st (we usually deposit it in our landlord's account the last weekday of the month) as long as we know the room is gonna be filled...
do you think this is a better idea? the signed letter and no money until i'm there in person? i feel a bit bad posting a portion of this person's email and a little paranoid that they are somehow going to see it on here, lol. i don't mean to seem mistrustful, i just want to make sure i have a good, secure place to stay when i arrive in portland. y'know?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Only if you know it has the landlord's okay. Ask them. Ask for a written statement with the landlord's signature. Even if they are on the up and up, they are still at this time not handling this situation legally by not acknowledging the fact that their landlord has given his approval.

Sorry to sound like such a stickler about this but I just don't see any reason why it shouldn't be done the according to the rules. It's just the paralegal in me.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM

343 posts, read 692,771 times
Sounds like they're more interested in having your money in their hands than being flexible and waiting a day or two. The truth is after you send the check and the moment you walk up to their doorstep, they can say "Who are you? I don't know you." If they're this demanding even before you moved in, I can imagine what they're like a couple months down the road. I'd skip this and take the b&b or cheap motel route for a few days.

Last edited by ramedud; 07-18-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Only if you know it has the landlord's okay. Ask them. Ask for a written statement with the landlord's signature. Even if they are on the up and up, they are still at this time not handling this situation legally by not acknowledging the fact that their landlord has given his approval.

Sorry to sound like such a stickler about this but I just don't see any reason why it shouldn't be done the according to the rules. It's just the paralegal in me.
yeah, i was thinking about this on the drive to work.

worst case scenario: i move in and the landlord finds out and i'm charged with some sort of trespassing violation!

not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: