Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

There are several larger music studios where the more notable local musicians and a some outside ones prefer to record.

There's a music industry in Portland on some levels--especially with the large amount of clubs--but while it might be a good place to get your feet wet, you've got to work hard if you're going to get to the level to make a living(and know people and be lucky). And a lot of people end up moving to larger cities to pursue careers in the industry eventually. There's a good number of local labels that provide some opportunities and Portland has sort of become a AAA farm league for up and coming indie musicians--as well as a retirement community for alternative rockers of the 1980s and 90s. It's not New York or Los Angeles or Nashville--but there's a lot of music here. I know someone who started off promoting local bands and ended up the touring manager for a Portland band that's now getting national attention(big enough to appear on late night talk shows like Letterman and Jimmy Fallon). I mean, he's glad he might have another part-time job to come back to when the tour is over--but there are musicians based in Portland that are gaining more recognition these days.

Though you have to realize that any sort of cool job or even internship related to the music industry in Portland is going to have a long line of applicants. Considering that a ton of young people move to Portland specifically with the idea that they can do something in music or the arts or something else creative. So not to discourage you, but you've got to be willing to apply and network as much as possible from day one in Portland. That's the number one thing about finding a job that you want in Portland--you must make that goal your fulltime job until you find a job. Network as much as possible, because knowing people is often the one factor that can get you over the goal line in finding a job in this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajn1983 View Post
seriously?

this can't be true.
That's because it isn't. A city the size of Portland, without a thriving music scene no less, would have more than just one recording studio.

It won't be NYC by a longshot. Less established.....everything, but there is plenty.

Edit: listen to Deezus and EnricoV.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
The COL index of NYC is 216. Hawaii is 186. Aside from those two, most American cities will be very close to 100. PDX is 104 I think. Midwest rust belt cities can be in the high 80's. That is what a transplant from NYC is working with as far as an adjustment to the local economics. I have to think it would help to at least have an appreciation of Portland's intrinsics. There are a lot of cities in the U.S. Many might be better places for an expatriate Irishman to work his blarney. But if he actually liked the oversized bicycle culture or the funky vibe of some of the neighborhoods or experienced the hairs standing up on the back of his neck when Mt. Hood is visible... come on down... ...

H

Old 07-17-2012, 02:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
He would be in Irish Heaven in Chicago but I don't think he is looking for another large city.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Sorry to provide evidently wrong information about recording studios in Portland. I must have misheard a comment from someone in the industry.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoney View Post
Hey there, I am in my mid 20's and am from Ireland. I have been living in NYC for 10 months and in this time I have worked as a barista, bar back, and intern for a music label. I am trying to break in to a music industry job but this is very difficult and involves a lot of hard work and networking. My montly rent since moving here has been $850 for a room in a shared apartment and I have been making on average $400-$500 per week. I barely manage to pay my rent each month as I go out a decent amount (although not as much lately) and I spend a decent amount on eating out in NY (since I am always on the go).

I have heard so many good things about Portland and I feel like NYC is wearing me down and I am losing faith in this city. If I moved to Portland I would aim to get a job bartending. I have plenty of experience and I would hope being Irish and having an accent might improve my chances. NYC is full of Irish people so my edge is a lot smaller here : ( I just want to experience something different and see new places and meet new people. I have been thinking about the idea of relocating for months now but since I am living very day to day I have never been in a position where I have enough money to pursue such an idea.

I am also a highly qualified barista and have worked in some of NYC's leading cafe's so at very least I assume I could land a job in a cafe. However I assume like NY this won't allow for much more than getting by in the city. So with regards to how much money I would need to get set up in Portland, can anybody please give me an idea of what I would need to have? I would be looking for a room in an apartment sharing with others similar to my set up in NY. I know absolutely nobody in the city so I would probably have to get somewhere asap upon arriving. I would also prefer to live in a some what vibrant part of the city with plenty of music art and young people, or well....hipsters I guess, haha. I appreciate any advice at all.

Thanks in advance.
The novelty of being Irish would take you VERY FAR almost anywhere. Especially an Irish bartender (or barista).

I grew up in Michigan, and also lived in Oregon and New York City (among other places).

I would have been WOW'ed by meeting any Irish person back when I lived in MI or Oregon. WHen I lived in NYC, it wouldn't have had much meaning to me whatsoever.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM

157 posts, read 165,591 times
Portland gotten so expensive, so it doesn't matter where you live.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:57 PM

95 posts, read 116,821 times
Rents are up here, but it's definitely less expensive than NYC. You could probably find a similar situation (shared room in apt or house) for $500/mo or less, as long as you are not in the most expensive parts of town. The job situation is still pretty difficult - but inner PDX is a mecca of sorts for pubs and coffee shops, so those are good job skills. And there are a few other Irish bars around town beyond Kells - Biddy McGraws, Paddy's, etc. I don't meet too many true Irish folks w/ accents in town, so would guess that many people would be keen to talk when they hear your accent. I'd agree with previous posters - if you can afford it, come out for a visit and you may decide to look for a job and give it a go - a lot of us love it here.

Last edited by PDXJ; 07-20-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 PM

203 posts, read 126,460 times
[quote=Minervah;25194245] . Your best bet is near the downtown area where your $850 can get you a studio apartment.

You can easily find many apartments right near a bus line which are cheaper than downtown - buses go all over.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
[quote=missclinks;25280358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
. Your best bet is near the downtown area where your $850 can get you a studio apartment.

You can easily find many apartments right near a bus line which are cheaper than downtown - buses go all over.
I suggested downtown because that's where the majority of the bars are where the OP is interested in working and he would have his choice of bus and MAX lines. You have to choose your neighborhoods carefully if you are going to be dependent upon public transportatin especially if you work in a bar which you may have late hours. Many buses and the MAX lines don't run late at night or in the wee hours of the morning.

It is always best to look at all aspects of a neighborhood when choosing a new one in which to live. Also, downtown can be less expensive than closer in neighborhoods. It just depends upon what you are looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: