Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call Portland's buildings skyscrapers, either. But they are high-rises, which was the OP's original question.

Personally, I don't think Portland needs skyscrapers. Cities that have no other view, and little space to cram tons more people in can have all of them they want. And pat themselves on the back for having them. I'd rather be able to see mother nature's mountains, myself. And I appreciate the interesting looking buildings (like the Portland Building and the KOIN tower), rather than the ones just striving for height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 PM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I see, thanks for the information. I guess coming from Chicago I don't think of Portland's tall buildings as skyscrapers. Most of the ones here today weren't here when I first moved here. The skyline is very different today. My favorite tall buildings are the Portland Building and The Koin Tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
No it wasnt a dig. It was made in jest and actually Im glad I said it because Ramedud posted a pretty informative link about Portland's high rises, so thanks to Ramedud!
You're both very welcome.

Personally I like the Portland skyline just the way it is. Sporadically clustered buildings, not centered in one cluster like SF or LA. On one cluster you have buildings in downtown, the other is on South Waterfront, and of course Big Pink stands out on its own with a few other buildings. I absolutely love that, it does make Portland very unique and appealing to me.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post

Personally I like the Portland skyline just the way it is. Sporadically clustered buildings, not centered in one cluster like SF or LA. On one cluster you have buildings in downtown, the other is on South Waterfront, and of course Big Pink stands out on its own with a few other buildings. I absolutely love that, it does make Portland very unique and appealing to me.
One thing I like about the Portland skyline from some directions is that there's still a good number of older mid-level buildings. It's most impressive from west of downtown in the West Hills--like around SW Vista where you can see the back of downtown rise above Goose Hollow or from the north of downtown like from the Fremont Bridge--where you a have the mix of the newer Pearl District and older Oldtown/Chinatown buildings in the foreground in front of downtown.

Actually the view of the skyline most commonly used for Portland--that of the south end of downtown near the Koin Tower, usually taken from the river area/Eastbank Espalanade/or Hawthorne Bridge--is actually probaly my least favorite view--as it's mainly buildings from the newer. But I like the buildings north of Pioneer Square--a lot of US cities have torn down a lot of their earlier 20th Century buildings, so it's nice to have some more history in our downtown.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post

I like it too. I am a big city girl so I am used to the real deal. Its kind of refreshing being in a small city that has a handful of larger buildings that dont clog a view of the mountain. But on the other hand I miss a nighttime city view as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: