Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

One example of an employer that will cover same sex unmarried partners is The City of Portland. I used to work for the TPA (Third Pary Payer) that administered their health insurance claims. The state of Oregon will do this as well. So yes, it is legal in the state of Oregon. It is up to the employer to make the decision as to whether or not they wish to insure these groups under a self-administered plan as long as it is legal in the state in which they are in. Of course the insurance companies can choose to refuse but I suspect they don't turn down the chance at opportunities for getting some of the larger businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM

24 posts, read 165,203 times
Thank you all again - I appreciate all the feedback!!! I understand that Oregon is one of only approximately 10 states to offer insurance to heterosexual unmarried couples, which is one of the main reasons for heading there instead of Washington. Where we are now it's very difficult to find - my current company has a rider in place which allows that, but generally most companies only offer it to same sex couples.
It's good to hear it is possible to find a job, and an apartment...albeit the job part may be difficult. We are not from Detroit or similar and I'm wondering if we'll be completely bowled over with the gang situation when we get there...on the other hand it seems like if you don't bother them they don't bother you?
I understand poverty is also a significant issue there, more-so than in other areas towards the south and west...not sure if that's true either...

Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Poverty is a significant issue because we make it so, not because the poverty rate is high.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Regarding apartments, Portland has a very low vacancy rate so you have to have patience. You may not find your ideal place the first time around but once you have been here awhile and know what you want and just where you want it you can keep looking in the area until you find something available. As a long time renter, that's how I found my ideal neighborhood.

Regarding crime, if you are concerned by that, the best way to determine the amount is to google crime stats on the Internet. The thing is, if you depend upon a forum, you will be getting points of view rather than facts. For example, people may tell you all of Gresham is bad. I will tell you honestly I am not familiar with Gresham personally but I used to work with a guy who lived there and he talked about where he lived in Gresham he had a beautiful view of Mt Hood from his house and he loved his area. He never mentioned crime or danger. I guess it's all in the mind of the beholder unless you are reading actual statistics. Also, statistics will tell you what type of crimes are in any given area. Petty theft is far different from murders or gang violence.

Oh and speaking of statistics, I didn't know only ten states allowed employers to cover different sex partners as domestic partners. I would have thought there would have been more by now. So you have taught me something.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM

343 posts, read 692,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli2 View Post
Thank you all again - I appreciate all the feedback!!! I understand that Oregon is one of only approximately 10 states to offer insurance to heterosexual unmarried couples, which is one of the main reasons for heading there instead of Washington. Where we are now it's very difficult to find - my current company has a rider in place which allows that, but generally most companies only offer it to same sex couples.
It's good to hear it is possible to find a job, and an apartment...albeit the job part may be difficult. We are not from Detroit or similar and I'm wondering if we'll be completely bowled over with the gang situation when we get there...on the other hand it seems like if you don't bother them they don't bother you?
Generally if you've lived a while in a large US city, you'll find the gang "issue" in Portland is largely irrelevant as a whole and overblown by the media. Portland is still an extremely safe place compared to other major US cities. You'll find the hipsters with their tight jeans and mascara a much bigger problem than any gang member.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
Generally if you've lived a while in a large US city, you'll find the gang "issue" in Portland is largely irrelevant as a whole and overblown by the media. Portland is still an extremely safe place compared to other major US cities. You'll find the hipsters with their tight jeans and mascara a much bigger problem than any gang member.
I do not believe the hipsters are a "problem." How are they a problem? Have you encountered any hipster problems living in Portland? I am curious about that.

The OP might find that some of the homeless people downtown may be a bit aggressive in asking for money. I have found that to be so in the years I worked downtown. But we are talking of nearly 30 years of working downtown so in that time one is bound to run into almost anything.

I think it's all a matter of a person's tolerance level and how long they have been in a place. If the OP is used to seeing a lot of different sights in a city, she probably won't be disturbed by anything she sees in Portland. If not she may be but it doesn't have to be traumatic.

I guess if I encountered any gangs I never recognized them. Maybe some teens hanging around Holiday Park but I don't know if they were in a gang or not. Some years ago back in the 80's it was a problem as the Bloods and the Crips moved up from LA and tried to carve out their turfs. I think it was in NE Portland. They did have wars. But that hasn't recurred as far as I know.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 AM

343 posts, read 692,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I do not believe the hipsters are a "problem." How are they a problem? Have you encountered any hipster problems living in Portland? I am curious about that.
I was being sarcastic, it was a joke. Obviously hipsters aren't much of a problem, but that's exactly my point. Saying Portland has gang problems is like saying Harvard is a secondary high school for flunkies. It's the last thing on the list of things to worry about.

Last edited by ramedud; 08-07-2012 at 05:20 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
You will not be "bowled over" by the gangs here. Portland is a pretty vanilla city when it comes to gangs and crime.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
You will not be "bowled over" by the gangs here. Portland is a pretty vanilla city when it comes to gangs and crime.
Portland gangs are more like the gangs from Westside Story.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Portland gangs are more like the gangs from Westside Story.
Right? We arent talking South Central or the LBC here for godssake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland