Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,940 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been going back and forth on relocating to Portland but I am not entirely sold yet. He lived in Portland for almost a year and he absolutely loved it. I have done a lot of research and I think I would like it too. I am currently located in California (middle of nowhere, desert, rednecks, the works) and I want out. I have spent my whole life in California so this would be a huge move for me (and it would be permanent) so all the help I could get would be appreciated. Here's a little about us and our questions.

Were a young married couple, 20 & 21 years old. Would we be able to fit in anywhere?
We have a baby on the way, how expensive is childcare? Is there a lot to do for children?
I am an esthetician, would finding work be easy? What is the average salary? (I would fly out before I move to make sure I have a set in stone job)
If we were to buy a 4+ bedroom, 2500+ sqft, with a basement, and decent backyard, how much would we be looking at paying?
Is Portland a safe place for young adults and kids? (my husband has told me the places to stay away from, I'm just wondering as a whole city how safe it is)
Are people friendly? (could I meet people at my job or are they snooty?)
I'm a vegetarian (would it be hard finding veriety?)
& of course, is the weather really as bad as people make it out to be? I don't like sun, I'm fair skinned and always get burnt, living in the heat I'd much rather live in colder weather.

I know I have a lot of questions but any help would be amazing!! (please no rude comments, especially about being from California PLEASE)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,110,578 times
I can't answer all your questions, but will tackle a few.

Portland is a relatively safe place. No place is entirely "safe," and Portland has its share of crime. But it tends to be crime against your property, not your person. And if I have to endure crime, that's the one I'll pick.

Vegetarians have tons of options. You should have no problem.

The weather. No, nothing is as bad as people make it out to be, including the weather in Portland. Unless you're craving constant sunlight (which obviously you're not) and heat, you'll do fine.

Housing prices are high, no doubt about it. But it will depend on where you're looking. There are certainly cheaper parts of the city than others. The suburbs are much less expensive.

And friendliness. I think people are very friendly. What they likely won't do, though, is meet you and invite you over to dinner. If you want to step things up, you have to make the effort. You need to seek out friends. Don't look for them to come to you. Portland's a very live-and-let-live place, overall. They're not going to get into your business, or do anything they think might be pushy.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,365,976 times
Regarding housing, you would have to say how much you would want to pay and what kind of area you would want to live. Saying you could fit in anywhere could mean from suburb to urban or city to country. And moderate to costly priced housing.

Bad weather is in the mind of the beholder. Most people here do not consider it bad at all because they are not lovers of constant sunshine. If you are you may not be happy. It is mostly mild and pleasant.

There are many, many vegitarian restaruants and farmers markets. It is a vegetarian's paradise. Vegans too. You will be happy with that aspect of Portland I am sure.

I don't know about finding work as an esthetician. We have Dosha and Aveda for large spas and some smaller ones scattered around.

If you like the outdoors, there are lots of activities to be had around the area. Summer is full of festivals and events.

The best thing to do is as you are planning is to just come down and take a look and see for yourself if you think you will like what you see. Maybe even check out possible places of employment.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,405,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbussard View Post
If we were to buy a 4+ bedroom, 2500+ sqft, with a basement, and decent backyard, how much would we be looking at paying?
The cheapest I could find was $770k. There are a few places closer in, but no basement (that I could find.) One in the under $200k range, but small yard, and the basement was converted into an apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbussard View Post
I'm a vegetarian (would it be hard finding veriety?)
No, finding Vegetarian food in Oregon is as easy as finding rain.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,508,285 times
Here would be my opinions:

Work for an esthetician- There are a lot of nails places in the area so my guess is that there’s a lot of work. I looked around and saw several jobs to apply to. As to salalry, I couldn’t find out.

The house is a difficult question to answer. To be sure it’s a true buyers market, but prices in this city vary so much by location I would think $225,000 and up.

Safe for young adults? As any big city we have a fair amount of crime but unless you’re in a bad area or out at night at the wrongs places it’s not really too bad. I agree with the person who stated it’s mostly property crimes. For a big city, it is a very friendly place. But it’s still a big city.

Vegetarian friendly- Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. This a very vegy friendly place.

Weather- if you’re not a sun worshiper, this is the place for you. We have a lot of cloudy days.

With the exception of transitioning from a smaller community to a metropolis, it sounds to me like this is your kind of place.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM

775 posts, read 1,256,036 times
1. You would fit in just about anywhere. You will find friendly people, you will find snooty people just like anywhere else.
2. Lots of options available for folks who are vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc. etc.
3. Portland is extremely safe. You would have to go looking for trouble to experience it here.
4. We need more info on your housing budget to help you with that. Renting or buying? And it depends on the area and how far you want to commute for work. You will pay much MUCH less for a house that big compared to CA, but then again not sure where in CA you live. Same with daycare, you can expect to pay less. For example I pay $680 for 5 days of care. That includes swim lessons and snacks/milk at lunchtime.
5. If you dont like the sunny weather anymore you will have found your Eden here. Coming from an area like you describe to Portland will be a 180 so keep that in mind, especially if you have kids....its not always ideal to get them outside
6. Not sure about esthetician work so cant offer any advice there

Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,539,772 times
Here are some great veggie options for you.

Vegan fast food like Veggie Grill (and soon, Native Foods) downtown. Some veggie food carts: DC Vegetarian (downtown) Native Bowl(North Portland), and Wolf & Bear's (North Portland)
Restaurants: Portobello Vegan Trattoria, and Natural Selection, and Blossoming Lotus...
Not to mention the millions of places that have a veggie menu in addition to their regular one, like Hungry Tiger Too - they have a "chicken and waffles" where the "chicken" is tofu.
Kids love veggie-friendly Vita Cafe. They can eat for a dollar, I believe, during certain times.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,365,976 times
I forgot about this but was reminded when I was watching TV the other night. There are quite a few ads for places that do lipo lifts and things like that in Portland. Maybe those would be possible places for the OP to find employment. There is also Sasses downtown that does nails, and laser work etc. There aren't as many hair salons around as there used to be; several large ones have closed in my neighborhood but some are still going strong throughout the city.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,110,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Here are some great veggie options for you.

Vegan fast food like Veggie Grill (and soon, Native Foods) downtown. Some veggie food carts: DC Vegetarian (downtown) Native Bowl(North Portland), and Wolf & Bear's (North Portland)
Restaurants: Portobello Vegan Trattoria, and Natural Selection, and Blossoming Lotus...
Not to mention the millions of places that have a veggie menu in addition to their regular one, like Hungry Tiger Too - they have a "chicken and waffles" where the "chicken" is tofu.
Kids love veggie-friendly Vita Cafe. They can eat for a dollar, I believe, during certain times.
One of my favorite menu listings is at Fire on the Mountain ... which specializes in chicken wings. They have "Portland Wings" ... vegan, of course.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,539,772 times
Thanks EnricoV, I have to try those vegan wings! I've been surprised about how good the vegan food is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: