Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM

17 posts, read 66,267 times

Advertisements

I am just about ready to head up to Portland from San Francisco (not an evil homeowner here! Just a young guy looking for something new.) I have been to the Pacific NW many times and love it.

I have a great resume and have applied to quite a few positions that would be perfect. I have a 503 # and whole bit as well. I have not received one call or email back on any. Do employers look and someone who has worked out of state and just write them off right away? I'm just not sure what I should do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Yeah, don't tell them your from California.. you may live long enough to enjoy Portland.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yeah, don't tell them your from California.. you may live long enough to enjoy Portland.
Gee thanks.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
Welcome. I'm sorry about the job market. I doubt it's you. The economy is not very good here. Don't worry about being a Californian. There are so many of us here, that many of the HR people are probably from there.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 AM

49 posts, read 233,546 times
Don't give up yet. We are from California and my husband has had a few phone calls and at least 1 interview in Portland and we've only been trying for a couple of months. All the the people he spoke with during his interview were from California. I'm not sure what field you are in but there seems to be a lot of Engineering jobs that have been posted for some time that aren't being filled. Good Luck

Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
its a tough market right now. Theres a girl who works pt where I am, and she has been searching for a ft job now for a couple months. She has lived here in Ore. for a couple years now, and was from Az, so I dont think its where youre from, just that things are tight in a lot of places right now.
maybe look into the temp services? Many times people end up getting full time employment through them.
best of luck to you!!
tiffany

Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 AM

65 posts, read 252,745 times
What field are you in? It'll really vary from discipline to discipline...

I got a job in the architectural field from where I'm moving (NYC) from but (I think naturally) had to go to Portland for interviews.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcat View Post
What field are you in? It'll really vary from discipline to discipline...

I got a job in the architectural field from where I'm moving (NYC) from but (I think naturally) had to go to Portland for interviews.

I'm in the Real Estate Finance / Office Management ( 2 very different fields ), but it all works out, well it has up to this point.

I actually got an email back today from someone who saw my resume, not a job I'd take, but its a start. I was just hoping to arrive in PDX with at least a few interviews lined up.

I'm just going to have to pound the pavement when I get there, just like everyone else.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM

65 posts, read 252,745 times
From my experience, which might not be typical, the firms I interviewed with seemed like they wanted to "window shop", maybe because they have a relatively large pool to choose from or maybe it's just a careful business development plan. It seems like there's a "Portland time" when it comes to hiring issues....

Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM

"Portland Time", I guess you may be right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland