Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 11:22 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone (probably OTT) can tell me a little about all the train tracks just NW of Reed College that I see on the Google maps when I'm checking out real estate. Looks like Holgate travels across/over them. Is there an active rail yard there? I see a single track going north and south from there, so it doesn't seem like it could be TOO busy. Just wondering about the noise factor. I'm a very light sleeper and sometimes in the summer when my windows are open at night, I'm awakened by trains that are over a half-mile away from my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Yes, it's an active railyard, with many of the trains operating on remote control! BUT, I don't recall that there's very much noise by Reed. I think closer to SE Powell, where the lanes cross traffic, is where you'd hear noise. Someone else might know better. I lived up the road from Reed, in the Woodstock area, at one point and never heard trains. I do hear them now that I live downtown--but I think it's the Amtrak trains from the Pearl.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks, OTT...I knew you would know. That area isn't one I'm particularly looking in, but it's in the general enough close-in SE area that if something interesting came up there, I just wanted to know. The realtors in my town tell people to sit in their cars with the windows down in front of houses they're considering buying to see if the train noise is bothersome in that area. So I could try that if I was concerned.

What is the Woodstock area like? I get the impression it's a little mixed. There are some cute places there, but the prices seem lower than Hawthorne-Belmont.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Woodstock used to be really working class but with the cost of Sellwood/West Moreland so high now people started buying in Woodstock over the last five years or so. It's full of nice bungalows and the Woodstock "strip" has some nice restaurants on it, two cafes, a library, grocery store, hardwood store, pet store, hair salons, etc. It's not as "cool" as Hawthorne and not as yuppie as Sellwood/WM has gotten but I'm sure it's heading that way. There's a really nice park there too, aptly named Woodstock Park. If you go further out you get into Brentwood-Darlington and Lents, which are still some problem areas in terms of drugs. But anything in the Woodstock area west of 52nd is really nice at this point--other pockets too.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks...I'll check that area out next time I'm visiting. It helps knowing which street to stay west of - I've never really been much east of Mt Tabor, and am more familiar with Hawthorne-Belmont, Sellwood, East Moreland, Ladds Addition, and Irvington than the other areas in SE. So I have some investigating to do on my next trip.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:21 PM

SE 39th divides East Moreland from Woodstock. Once you cross SE 39th you're in the opposite neighborhood. People who would like to live in East Moreland but can't afford it also have purchased in Woodstock, on the edges closer to EM. In some parts of Woodstock you wouldn't know it wasn't East Moreland, particularly around Berkeley Park.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM

Ok, I've been down SE 39th (my friends live on Taylor near 37th) to go to Reed, but just didn't cross over to the other side (that sounds ominous...). Next trip I'll check it out.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
Hoping someone (probably OTT) can tell me a little about all the train tracks just NW of Reed College that I see on the Google maps when I'm checking out real estate. Looks like Holgate travels across/over them. Is there an active rail yard there? I see a single track going north and south from there, so it doesn't seem like it could be TOO busy. Just wondering about the noise factor. I'm a very light sleeper and sometimes in the summer when my windows are open at night, I'm awakened by trains that are over a half-mile away from my house.
I lived in Westmoreland for 8 years (recently this summer moved out of state). Pockets of both Westmoreland & Eastmoreland are affected by noise from the Train yards. It depends on the proximty and elevation of the home. You will hear trains traveling down the tracks at night... but I dont' recall whistle blows. But the noise of the trains traveling is minor. The most noise is from them coupling of the train cars together... diesel engine noise and then loud clanging when they attach. I miss my old neighborhood but I definately do not miss that!!

If you are interested in finding out more about the train noise I would recommend contacting SMILE (this is the neighborhood association for Westmoreland & Sellwood).
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Also the monthly neighborhood newspaper covers the train yards and the noise. You can find this source at www.readthebee.com.

I'm not sure if they have old issues archived on their site. But the editor has been very active in covering the noise issue. You can find his email address on the site.

My main advice is before you buy or rent a place check it out at night. That is when the yards are the busiest and loudest. I found that Sunday night between about 11 pm & 12 am to be the loudest. I think that was there Monday morning and they were catching up on trains that needed to go out.

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks, P-Mom, I will definitely do that. I'm sure the clanging from the coupling would definitely bother me if I were close to it. Thanks for those links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland