U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 57,005 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are moving to Portland. I've secured a gig, but he's starting to look.

Anyone know how the architecture jobscape in Portland looks?

He does residential architecture... he's been with a design/ build firm for over 6 years.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM

65 posts, read 237,218 times
I'm moving to PDX at the end of the month and have been researching the "scene" for a few years... It's the larger firms that are tending to hire right now, there's a relatively larger pool of intermediate level (sounds like that's where you're partner is at) available locally and it's folks with +10 years and larger project experience that seem (this could be merely my perception since this is where I am) to be in demand at the moment. The PDX arch world was rocking for a couple of years from about 2005 to about the spring of this year but has slowed down a bit (all kinds of hiring going on then). I'm not sure about how the mortgage situation is going to effect the architectural world since most of the smaller firms do residential work and will probably be affected by any change in that market. I do know that there is still a lot of work going on but I'm not sure who has it and if they're. If you want to send a PM with your partner's specific strengths and desires I can get more into detail about some offices that might be a good fit or that might be looking.

Check this LINK or THIS LINK, they are links to threads in an architectural forum that are a few years old but mention some good firms that you might look into, most of the information is still valid.

Also for a continuous discussion window into the building scene in PDX look HERE

Last edited by kelcat; 10-04-2007 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-07-2007, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 16,185 times
I am also targeting PDX for relocation and am looking for work in a tangential field: landscape architecture. Do you know anything about LA firms or have any suggestions for a good way to get some info?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Sorry I know nothing about the LA scene in PDX...

Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 AM

74 posts, read 187,469 times
I posted something awhile back about the exact same topic. I didn't get a response, so I'm glad someone else was requesting some info too! So, does anyone know what the salary for Architects are in Portland? My husband will be finishing his BS in June.

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 16,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBound View Post
I posted something awhile back about the exact same topic. I didn't get a response, so I'm glad someone else was requesting some info too! So, does anyone know what the salary for Architects are in Portland? My husband will be finishing his BS in June.

Thanks.
I would start by checking the AIA career website:The American Institute of Architects. Somewhere on the AIA site there should be salary survey results you guys can peruse. In addition, whatever school he is finishing his BS @ will likely have a career services liaison. That person should be able to give him the info he needs and put him in touch with any alumni working in the PDX area. Also, if able, he should consider doing an externship (think internship, only 1 week long) over winter break at a firm in Portland. That way he has his foot in the door somewhere and while he is there he could go on informational interviews (I'm doing the same!)
You guys have probably been through all of this- I wish I could think of something more useful. I can ask around studio if anyone has any friends working in Portland. The numbers will be a bit skewed b/c I' in a masters program but maybe that will give you guys a jumping off point...

Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBound View Post

Thanks.
Don't like to get into specifics about salary but from my interviews it seems that most of the firms stick fairly closed to the AIA salary surveys as a guideline for their compensation. Of course all the firms are different with the larger firms seeming to pay more and the smaller less... (duh, right?). You have to be a member of the AIA to get access to the survey but your husband can sign up as an associate member for significantly less than a full fledged registered architect.

One way of getting a pretty good idea is to sign up for salary.com and looking at their surveys. I think (thought not sure) that some information is free but the pay info is actually pretty helpful and, at least in my experience, seemed pretty accurate. They have compensation for all levels of architects and all over the country.

I will have to say that ANYWHERE in the USA you go, the pay for an architect just coming out of school is going to be pretty lame compared to other professions.

Good luck and like I mentioned to Quercus you can PM me if you want to get some info I would rather not discuss in a public forum...

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,709 times
Kelcat, can I pm you re: architecture jobs in Portland? i have questions....many questions...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 PM

godardsgirl,

Have'nt been on the web for while now. We just got to Portland a couple of weeks ago and just got our net connection (moving with twins and a dog is a real job!). Sure PM with your questions. I'll try my best to help with what I know.

kel

Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM

84 posts, read 247,198 times
Check out Zimmer Gunsul Frasca. It is a big architecture firm in PDX. They do a lot of local projects as well as outside projects. Their local projects include the PDX mall revitalization(the project going on in downtown), PSU, OHSU, hospitals, convention center, PDX airport, a lot of buildings in downtown …etc. They also do embassies and oversea projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland