U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 20,333 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I'm moving to Portland and I am looking at the NE section.
My Hubby will be working near the Airport area and the best Steal Tip Dart Bar looks to be A & L Sports Bar on NE Gilson.
We would really like to stay close to both. How is that section of town????
I would really like to rent a house but can't find pricing in the area so may have to turn to a complex. We don't want to buy until we have had a few years to get the total feel of the city.
PLEASE
Tell me all you know!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,619,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWlover2 View Post
Hello All,
I'm moving to Portland and I am looking at the NE section.
My Hubby will be working near the Airport area and the best Steal Tip Dart Bar looks to be A & L Sports Bar on NE Gilson.
We would really like to stay close to both. How is that section of town????
I would really like to rent a house but can't find pricing in the area so may have to turn to a complex. We don't want to buy until we have had a few years to get the total feel of the city.
PLEASE
Tell me all you know!!!
You're still look at a large part of town. Generally along 82nd is less desirable, and right around where Sandy crosses 82nd. Even a few blocks off those streets areas become much better. Most of North East Portland is older established homes with fairly large yards and such.

Parkrose is also less desirable, especially around 122nd and along the freeway there.

Both areas aren't really bad even then, at least compared to other parts of the country. By Portland standards they're "bad," though.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM

So I guess the complex I found called Tarrace @ Columbia Knoll at 8212 NE Sandy isn't a good idea??? What about West of Gilson?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM

I have lived up in WA twice in my life once in Tacoma and once north of Seattle. The weather bothered me a little because my job kept me outside all day but I won't be doing that any more. I can't handel the heat well and have a reasonably good idea of what to expect. My Hubby has only visited WA but loved the green he,s originally from CT. We have been living in the south way too long and do not like the desert. Albuquerque and Centeral TX. Really STINKS!!!! We want our green back

Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM

I don't know if we can afford the NW area It seemed to be rather expensive there. We will be working on 1 income maybe 1 1/2 soon. I'm not able to work quiet yet. But we can pay up to $1000 a month for rent.
We are looking for a more relaxeded culture. We are Vegan which is a dirty word here in Texas. My Hubby is big into Darts and we enjoy outdoor life when it's not so hot. My Daughter lives in Olympia so it will be nice to be near her again. I am a hippie at heart but have never been able to really show it on the outside. So I'll have a lot of thrift-shopping to do, then you won't know me from the natives. We consider ourselves typical middle class. Smart but not smarta**es and very congenial. We are hoping to make lots of friends fast as that is our norm. Hope we will be excepted well.

Last edited by GNWlover2; 08-21-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,619,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWlover2 View Post
So I guess the complex I found called Tarrace @ Columbia Knoll at 8212 NE Sandy isn't a good idea??? What about West of Gilson?
Judge for yourself: CrimeMapper Detail Report

Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM

9,965 posts, read 16,230,796 times
I live in the North Tabor area around SE 70th--just to south of the NE/SE border on E Burnside, though I'm pretty close to the pub on NE Glisan you speak of. Pretty much most of that area is fine, though I live in a wealthier area on the slopes of Mt. Tabor(though I'm just a renter). Where I live the Montavilla area to the east is fine right up until you get up to 82nd. Once you get to 82nd it can be hit or miss(though further south on 82nd there's excellent Asian food and markets).

My only real experience with crime is that if you leave a backpack or gym bag in your back seat overnight, you're going to find your window smashed and the bag gone. That's really though the extent of my experience with being the victim of crime in NE Portland and that goes for where I used to live in NE by MLK, N, and SW Portland as well.

I wouldn't want to live right at the junction of NE Sandy and 82nd though--as there can be a certain sketchy element up on 82nd in that area. But go further to the west into Roseway and Rose Park down Sandy and much of the area can be fine. I have friends that live around 65th and Fremont, and that area is fine, and most their neighbors are good, nice middle-class folks. In general the rule of thumb for NE Portland is that most of what's west of 82nd is better--and also the further south you are from NE Columbia Blvd. Neighborhoods like Cully up closer to Columbia are a little poorer and have a little more rundown feel in parts. For what you're looking for(close to the airport), I'd look at Rose City Park, North Tabor, and Montavilla areas. From any of those areas you can make it to the airport in about 15 minutes driving.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks a lot Deezus, That helps a lot. Neither my Hubby or I like to spend a lot of time to and from work and like the neighborhood feel. I like being recognized as a local where I shop and play and want to create a neighborly relationship.
If anyone has any suggestions for rentals I would really appreciate it. We have been in our current location for 3 yrs and can provide good references. I may not get to come up to look at places and might have to depend on my Hubby to pick out a place for us. That makes me feel uncomfortable. My home is important to me. His eye is not as specific as mine. House rentals would be my 1st choice, I need a little space. We are a mature couple with a full home of furniture.
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM

9 posts, read 21,155 times
I reccomend you check out the inner NE neighborhoods like Cully, Beaumont/alameda, Alberta,Irvington

Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,969,326 times
My family lived in the Hollywood district. I recently visited a friend of my mother's who is a retired teacher living on the northern edge. Neighborhood still looks nice to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: