U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 AM

38 posts, read 113,807 times

Advertisements

You folks who complain and want to self-ghettoize a place are weak willed and weak minded sheep. No different than the supposed gangs you speak of. The gangs are non-existant in recent years - most the problems happened when the migration from Mexico to the US and Oregon were so huge. I just see hard working people, illegal or not, who are trying to get ahead just like the majority of us.

I'm gay and love Canby because it is laid back, great outdoors opportunities, quaint, commuting distance to Portland and Salem, cheap housing and the hillbillies/religious Pollyanna types keep out the nasty Cali yuppies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,467,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The OP was requesting information about Canby. That makes it relevant IMO.

Your post, however, doesn't add anything at all.
The title of the post asks for information about Canby.
The text of the message asked very specifically about gang problems.
Not anything else.
In that light, are your posts adding anything either?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,971,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
The title of the post asks for information about Canby.
The text of the message asked very specifically about gang problems.
Not anything else.
In that light, are your posts adding anything either?
If you don't find what I had to say of value, ignore it.

You don't think it's relevant to someone who wants to know about Canby, I'll address the gang question.

No.

Gosh, wasn't that helpful.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
If you don't find what I had to say of value, ignore it.

You don't think it's relevant to someone who wants to know about Canby, I'll address the gang question.

No.

Gosh, wasn't that helpful.

Gosh.......OK........ I guess you got the last word in about whatever.

But Canby really does have a hispanic gang problem.

My nephew has lived in Canby for the last 20+ years.
He has seen it grow from a very quiet rural community to a suburb of portland with a huge increase in population
There is gang problem there, and although it may not be on the scale of a SoCal city, it is there.
Through the years it has steadily grown, and it is a problem.
If you live in town, it is evident. If you live on the outskirts, not so much.
And if you got kids in high school, it's really obvious.
If you don't believe me, go hang out on the main drag some weekend in the early morning hours.

Here's some real life, fact based, undisputable, documented examples:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...to_pair_o.html
http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...lated_fig.html
http://www.ci.canby.or.us/CityGovern...ltr5-30-06.pdf
http://www.canbypolice.com/press_2006_page.asp (broken link)
http://www.canbypolice.com/press_pages/070704_1035.html (broken link)
http://stoptheinvasionoforegon.wordp...-mexican-slum/
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/n...ang_110806.php

There is no denying it.
Google it. Read the newspapers. Do some research.
Now tell me there is not a gang problem in Canby.
I've showed you that there is a gang problem, now show me evidence otherwise.

In all honesty, it's not so bad that I wouldn't want to live in Canby because of it.
I was born and raised in Portland, and while Portland has "gang problems", I can't say that I have ever been affected by them personally.
Canby really is a cool little town. It has a lot going for it.
I wouldn't walk around Canby scared to death expecting a gangbanger to jump out from behind every bush, but the truth is .... there is a problem.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-02-2009 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 04:45 AM

4 posts, read 12,929 times
The "hispanic gangs" that everyone is freaking out about cause no more trouble than the rednecks (i use that term as the way my friends want to be referred) the mexicans just roll in more obvious cliques and stand out to the nearly all-white police forced...you think the anglo kids arent doing drugs, drunk driving, gettin in brawls, beatin up on their girls?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCity503 View Post
The "hispanic gangs" that everyone is freaking out about cause no more trouble than the rednecks (i use that term as the way my friends want to be referred) the mexicans just roll in more obvious cliques and stand out to the nearly all-white police forced...you think the anglo kids arent doing drugs, drunk driving, gettin in brawls, beatin up on their girls?

Yep, they probably are.

But.........my guess is that those anglo kids are probably not known members of the Sureno, Norteno and 18th st gangs.

I think that makes a wee little bit of difference.

And I bet all of the "anglo" kids are here legally.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 PM

73 posts, read 211,229 times
What the h.ell is going on in here?

Canby has some gang activity. What city doesn't? *eyeroll*

I have a relative who lives there (for the past 11 years). I like the town very much. I do all my errands there because it is quick and easy compared to where I live. People are more pleasant, not in as much of a hurry.

Don't scare people off because of a few bad incidents. Canby is a nice town and it is NOT pricey (whoever said that, I'm wondering where they got that idea).

The police are a strong presence in Canby. IMO they are keeping a lid on the gang activity. The fact is, in this economy we are going to start seeing more crime. That's a given.

As to the question, you can do a lot worse than Canby. A lot worse.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,209 times
this is silly..Canby is a very nice town.. a bit boring, but over all a great place to settle down and have a family. I grew up here, and was in the canby school district. As a kid i loved canby, but now that i'm older its not as enjoyable.. especially since everyone has moved away.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,922 times
I have lived in Canby my whole life and have enjoyed it. I live on the outskirts in the farming community. There is a gang problem, but as stated above, it is nothing compared to larger cities. I would say that while Canby does have its problems, as does every other town, it is a place that everyone is welcome. It is home to the Clackamas County Fairgrounds, which hold different events that families can enjoy. Canby is a blanket town for both Portland and Salem. The population is growing because of this. I enjoy knowing that many people are moving to Canby because they like the town as well. Even though this pleases me it also makes me sad. Canby is known as the Garden Town of the Willamette Valley. Our soil is known to be the best in the Willamette Valley and even beyond that, and now there are housing developments being built on top of it. Despite this, Canby is a great town ad I am happy to have grown up here.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 23,235 times
Canby is an "Outer suburb" of Portland and from my personal experience it is a very racist town. About 3 years ago i went to the Canby fair, and for no reason got harassed by the CPD for no reason.....well because of my tan skin! They mistake me for being Hispanic and treated me like a second class citizen, and told me the reason they are talking to me is because last year there was a hispanic gang fight......What does that have to do with me? When i walked in the fair the door greater was greeting every person in line, but she just took my ticket and gave me a dirty look without saying one word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland