Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM

6 posts, read 7,729 times

Advertisements

I'm considering either driving or flying from Sacramento during the week of October 14-21.

I understand it's 580+ mile drive with about 10 hours. If I plan to drive, I would like to stop by Crater Lake before continuing up via US 97 to Bend then US 26 into Portland (If you suggest better route, lemme know). Probably will take full I-5 back to Sacramento.

I could fly instead, it's offering $69 one way SMF-PDX and back.

What do you think of the area and hotel itself (EncoLodge next to PSU campus in downtown)? Is it safe to park my newer car (if I drive there) I know I can take light rail/streetcar to hotel.

About myself to get an idea what I like to do....

I love trains (Light Rail, commuter rail) not interested in buses or freight trains ;-) So I would prefer to travel via transit in Portland! I love books and I know about Powell's :-) I'd like to try some local food and local brewed beers and that's pretty much about it.

Oh, yeah! I love fall foliage!!!!! What Portland is like during that week with fall foliage?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM

I think I'm gonna fly because I found a package deal total $327 where I could fly in PDX take the red line 3 stops to Parkrose/Sumner via the red line on the MAX. The hotel would be EnocoLodge right across the street from the station.

My question is: Is the hotel good enough especially in the area? All I need is to sleep overnight cuz I'm gonna be on MAX most of the day and to visit downtown often.

I'm hoping someone would answer above and my original questions before I make reservation. I look forward seeing Portland especially during fall foliage :-)

Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM

343 posts, read 692,663 times
You might have better luck getting hotel reviews on Expedia. I'm going to guess that Econolodge isn't half bad, I would expect average motel services. Since you aren't driving in your new car as you originally planned, everything should be ok.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Highway 26, especially over Mt. Hood should have some gorgeous fall foliage going on. I'm noticing trees are already turning here in the valley. I'll actually be making the opposite trip as you during the same time frame, but then I really love driving and would prefer to do that over flying any day of the week.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
If it stays dry, this year may be a good one for color.

Usually, by the time the trees really start changing color, the fall storms come in and blow all the leaves off the trees.
Plus, lots of times it does not get cold enough to really get good color before the rainy season hits us.

If you are looking to find something comparable to the northern east coast, you will be disappointed.

It's still really pretty though!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
It sounds like you are talking about two different Econo lodges. The one downtown by PSU is not across from any "station". That Parkrose area is quite far from downtown if downtown exploring is what you're interested in.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Sayulita,

Yeah I was referring to Penrose station/Econo Lodge.

I just now checked Park Lane Suites & Inn which is located at 809 SW King Ave., Portland, OR 97205 which is next to downtown area. I could take the Red Line to Stadium station and walk slight uphill few blocks and make left onto King Ave. Is this good hotel? area? It cost little more at $380 for the flights and 3 night hotel!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
I would have driven. Crater Lake is only accessible/nice 5 months a year. Mirror Pond in Bend is starting to get fall foliage right now. the cascade lakes highway is nice this time of year. I don't fly when it's less than 1000 750 miles. I pick and off the beaten path trip, and discover things no one knew about. Econolodges are ALWAYS crap! But if you can stand a hostel or motel 6 it will be okay. These days I pony up the extra dough and stay somewhere nice like 100-150+/night to weed out crap hotels with crap guests like 7 college kids partying in a motel 6 all night.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I would have driven. Crater Lake is only accessible/nice 5 months a year. Mirror Pond in Bend is starting to get fall foliage right now. the cascade lakes highway is nice this time of year. I don't fly when it's less than 1000 750 miles. I pick and off the beaten path trip, and discover things no one knew about. Econolodges are ALWAYS crap! But if you can stand a hostel or motel 6 it will be okay. These days I pony up the extra dough and stay somewhere nice like 100-150+/night to weed out crap hotels with crap guests like 7 college kids partying in a motel 6 all night.
Hence is why I just checked other hotel near downtown Park Suite & Inn at 809 SW King Ave., Portland, OR 97205 Also if I drove it would be 10 - 12 hours and it won't give me enough rest for these 2 FULL days in Portland.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal530 View Post
Sayulita,

Yeah I was referring to Penrose station/Econo Lodge.

I just now checked Park Lane Suites & Inn which is located at 809 SW King Ave., Portland, OR 97205 which is next to downtown area. I could take the Red Line to Stadium station and walk slight uphill few blocks and make left onto King Ave. Is this good hotel? area? It cost little more at $380 for the flights and 3 night hotel!
If it were me, I'd choose the Econo Lodge near PSU. Closer to all the action including the trolley and Max. Not to mention the nearby food carts and the bustle of PSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland