Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM

37 posts, read 174,568 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be visiting Mt. Hood this weekend and was wondering if there are any trails you could recommend us doing? What do you think about heading to Trillium Lake Loop Trail, it looks amazing.

Any other activities there we should check out?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Trillium Lake is a great trail. I love cross country skiing it in the winter too.

You can also hike portions of the Pacific Crest Trail, the best location in my opinion to get to it is at Little Crater Lake. One of these days I'll get to finish that portion of the trail all the way up to the Columbia River.

For a shorter and less technical family friendly hike, I recommend Mirror Lake.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYahoooo View Post
Hi,

We will be visiting Mt. Hood this weekend and was wondering if there are any trails you could recommend us doing? What do you think about heading to Trillium Lake Loop Trail, it looks amazing.

Any other activities there we should check out?

Thanks
If you haven't been--it's great to check out Timberline Lodge, both for the old lodge itself, but also because it's the easiest access to the high alpine terrain on Hood. There's some pleasant short hikes around the lodge itself you can hike a portion of the Timberline trail to the edge of the canyons--and there might still be some wildflowers in parts. It's nice to get a bite to eat or drink in the Octagon bar/resturant in the top of the lodge.

There's a lot of different trails around Hood, I've probably hiked most of them, but it depends how long and how challenging a hike one wants to do. McNeil Point is a good one that get's into some of the most beautiful meadows and terrain on the mountain on the west side of Hood. The best high elevation one is the trail from Cloud Cap up Cooper Spur. Nowhere else on the mountain can a non-climber get to that high an elevation on a trail--you're literally above glaciers in the canyon below for most of the hike. These are more moderate trails with some vertical gain ranging about 7-8 miles round trip however. Ramona Falls is a good one that's a little easier in terms of going uphill though about 7 miles round trip as well.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
If you are starting out at the Lodge I recommend you check out a transponder in case you get lost or need rescue You will save the community a lot of money looking for you, and may well save your life.

Cell phone reception is spotty.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
We are going tomorrow, my advice is to park at timberline and then hike to paradise park, just do a Google search. Check the Timberline webcam before you go. The marine layer was thick this morning and looked to be over 5000 feet, where as yesterday it was only 1700 feet. Tomorrow, is not supposed to be as thick and in the afternoon Mt. Hood is usually above the clouds and warmer when we have low hanging clouds in the valley from onshore flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland