Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM

170 posts, read 233,901 times

Advertisements

Hello Portlanders,

I'm considering a visit/move to Portland by (March 2013). I'm graduating from my university in Florida in (April 2013). Overall, I'm considering Portland since it "seems" to have multiple elements that I'm looking for such as mass transit, vibrant art scene, lower-COL (compared to LA, NYC, and Northeastern cities). Ultimately, I want to leave Florida and experience a city with educated professionals.

Here's a snippet about me:
22 year old multi-cultural male, naturally optimistic and "bubbly," ENFP personality type, enjoys a vibrant art & music scene, I also identify as LGBT and am proud to see my hometown make moves more acceptable for the LGBT/progressive community (domestic registry, housing protections etc.). Still unsure of a "career" choice (currently interning for a fashion publication), plan to attend graduate school within 1-2 years.

Pros about Portland:
-Mass transit
-Eclectic culture
-Lower COL (Compared to major markets in the Northeast/SoCal)
-Portland State (Excellent university)
-Great vision for the future (excellent urban planning city)

Cons about Portland:
-Weather (From my understanding "Winter" is cold/rainy for 6 months?) I'm used to the rainy season of South Florida in which it rains almost everyday however sunshine still prevails.
-State Income Tax

-How's Portland for people of color (African Americans, Caribbean Americans, Multi-racial?)
-What's the overall "vibe" of Portland? I've traveled throughout the Northeast and have traveled to the West Coast (LA) once is Portland more akin to Philly and Boston in terms of culture or is it in a world of its own?

In closing, I think Portland is a great city (from what I've researched) and has a bright future ahead

Last edited by gjosephunf; 09-26-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
They don't care about your race or culture in Portland.

But it may not be what you think it is. It isn't Portlandia, and it sure isn't Florida.

Visit first and spend more that a few days, then move if you still want to. I suggest sometime in January or February.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
My opinion and you will get many differing ones so be prepared.

Pros about Portland:
-Mass transit
Great for commuting from nearby more trendy expensive, upscale neighborhoods to the downtown area for events and work. Not so much for farther out less sought after neighborhoods. Not very good for getting around throughout neighborhoods. Lots of people ride bikes throughout the city.

-Eclectic culture
Theater, Arts, Symphony, Opera, Museums, lots of that. Abundance of places to eat including the famous food carts. Never boring places to go and things to see.

Lower COL (Compared to major markets in the Northeast/SoCal) Sometimes, but it's difficult to make the comparison because you have to compare wages to jobs because many although not all, of the same jobs here pay less than in those places but the cost of things will not be all that much lower. It's a good idea to do some specific comparisons on your own.

-Portland State (Excellent university) Yes depending upon your major. I understand its department of Urban Planning is top notch.

Cons

The weather can be a con for some but a pro for others. It is a pro for me because I am not a sun person and love the overcast skies. One or two days of sunshine and I am ready for the shade.

Portland had been called a very white city but there certainly are people of color here. No one really thinks much about it. I don't believe that is a problem. But I am white and can't presume to speak for people of color other to than to say that any African American friends have never told me of problems.

I don't know of Philly or Boston but I have heard people compare Portland to Pittsburgh. As the previous poster has stated, do not go by what you read on the Internt or see on TV. Come here for a visit and stay as long as you can. Talk to people. Get a feel for the place. That's the best way to find out for yourself. Don't just stick to the downtown area. Go through the neighborhoods and pick up the local paper.

Most important. Don't make up your mind, one way or another before you actually take a look around.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 PM

170 posts, read 233,901 times
Minervah and Steve Pickering thank you for your advice!! I definitely will check out the PDX metro area in January/February =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: