U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM

662 posts, read 237,755 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are beginning to research the Portland area a bit to get an idea of where we might want to live if we end up moving there. We are in our mid 30's, no kids now but once we relocate we are planning to adopt at least one child. We will be starting a business when we move, so not sure where we will locate at, but somewhere within roughly 5 miles of downtown is our goal.

Right now we live in a 2100 sq ft home and really are not interested in repeating that mistake. We have so much more space than we need because we just don't buy and store much stuff. We're not purposely "minimalists", but rather we both hate clutter and managing "stuff". We are open to buying a single family home, but we are more interested in either a townhome or condo. We'd like to stay below $200k if we can, but if the right place came along we could go up to $250k, maybe slightly more. 1000-1500 sq ft would be ideal.

The main things we are looking for are:

-walkable neighborhoods with a few basic stores like pharmacy/basic grocery nearby

-good public transit and/or good access to biking lanes. We hope to get by on one vehicle for both of us and to keep it parked as much as possible. We will be working together, so separate commutes are not an issue as we hope to bike together when we can or use pt or drive together when necessary.

-at least one good park within a mile or so that has good walking/biking options

-is dog friendly and doesn't have breed discrimination laws against pit bulls. We have a 3/4 boston terrier 1/4 pit bull that would likely be targeted even though she's little and fairly timid/shy.

-decent eating options, we eat a "paleo" style diet with lots of naturally raised beef/pork/chicken and fresh fruits & veggies, so local restaurants would be great, but we cook a lot at home so thats not a huge deal but would be nice.

Any specific areas to look at or avoid would be nice to know. I appreciate any input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 5,570,226 times
I'm biased because I live here, but I think Hillsdale would be a nice area for you. It's got a food coop called Food Front which sells lots of natural and organic foods, a very good independent pharmacy, several restaurant options and unique shops. Very walkable, although hilly. There are several large supermarkets within a 3 mile radius. Downtown is a quick 12-15 minute drive in non-commute times. I've lived here for 24 years and really love it. Here's a recent newsletter about the area.

Food carts set to open

Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM

662 posts, read 237,755 times
Great, I'll check it out!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 PM

192 posts, read 401,265 times
If you're looking to buy, I don't think you will encounter an issue with your dog. There isn't a breed ban in the Portland metro at this time. If you're renting, however, you may have more trouble, as you are already aware.
Part of the mission of this org is to help pit owners find housing: Operation Keep-a-Bull It's very new and I don't know much about it, but a possible resource never hurts.

This site lists some dog-friendly rentals, although it doesn't break it down to whether bully breeds are accepted: Portland Pooch - Your Guide to the Portland Dog Scene

Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM

6,413 posts, read 10,875,993 times
I don't think of Hillsdale as particularly walkable, though it's not a bad area. I think traffic moves much too fast through there.

Wherever you're looking, you'll want to check out on WalkScore.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM

478 posts, read 776,717 times
Goose Hollow and environs is within walking distance of almost everything, has a dog park at the edge of huge Forest Park, is close to downtown, etc.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 PM

858 posts, read 2,282,157 times
Check out the Sellwood neighborhood. It's very walkable, with a QFC and New Seasons groceries, pubs, small restaurants, and a couple of beautiful parks (Sellwood and Westmoreland). It has lots of good old stock homes in a variety of sizes (NOT any cookie cutters - though a few well done new row/town house developments). There is also the Oaks Bottom walking/bike trail that leads to downtown - about 3 miles.

And Sellwood Park is very popular with dog owners.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 PM

10,429 posts, read 17,764,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
Goose Hollow and environs is within walking distance of almost everything, has a dog park at the edge of huge Forest Park, is close to downtown, etc.
There is NOTHING on the OP's budget in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or