U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,205 times

Advertisements

GREETINGS !

I've been considering relocation to the mighty PORTLAND, OREGON for a few months. I've spent a few weekends in downtown Portland in years past and enjoyed my time there. I've spent most of my life in Southern California, 45 minutes inland from Los Angeles (THE BURBS). I lived in La Jolla very briefly and spent most of 2011 living in Manhattan. Didn't care for the former, loved the latter minus the weather and cost. More pertinent details regarding my situation:

26 years old
Male
Run a small online business 90% independent of where I live
Attraction to Portland: weather, foodie reputation, affordability (see: Manhattan), public transportation, TREES
Looking to buy a home ~$250k, will have 20% deposit + one year mortgage saved
No kids, girlfriend in NYC

Anyway, I'm planning to make a 7-10 day trip very shortly and was looking for recommendations on areas to check out. I'd like to live near the TASTY TREATS (i.e. walking distance to good food, espresso). Oh, also would like a gym and/or basketball courts nearby. The more I can walk to, the better. From what I gather, the Boise area is the place to be. From Trulia, I gather that this price range is manageable. I get the impression that The Pearl is more yuppie-oriented, accurate?

Hope this isn't too scatter-brained. Thanks for the read !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM

10,947 posts, read 19,294,561 times
You won't find a home in your price range with the attributes you describe in the Portland core area on the west side of the Willamette unless you are looking at a condos.

Others know the east side neighborhoods better than I.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM

3,804 posts, read 5,979,623 times
Perhaps you are wondering why only one person, the very generous Nell Plotts, has answered your query.
It's because we get these posts pretty much every day. Yesterday alone there were threads from three 20-somethings asking various questions about Portland. So I'm posting this to all three of you. All your questions and more have been asked and answered umpteen times in this forum. Please take the the time to read through at least 5 or 6 pages, maybe more. Change your settings to show 40 post per page for faster reading. There is a ton of info about neighborhoods, transit, dog friendliness, recreation, job opportunities etc. Also a lot of warnings to bring lots of money and be prepared for an uncertain period of unemployment.

Once you have done that and you still have specific questions, then come back and ask. We are glad to help, but not over and over with the same information. The forum is a treasure chest of info. Use it!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,205 times
Yeah, not sure what I was after (I've been reading the forum for a few weeks). I considered piggy-backing on another user's thread (posted hours before mine) because they were so similar but didn't out of respect for the OP.

How about this: I'm planning to spend some time in Portland this month and am looking for a few spots that really represent specific neighborhoods. I've spent sometime in downtown Portland but that's it. From what I understand, the Mississippi/Alberta area is more my speed but I'm open-minded.

Another, more specific query: where are the highest concentration of good restaurants/farmer's markets? "Good" =/= expensive, necessarily. Cheap lunch eats are MY THING. I don't drink so no interest in bars.

Anything else I should consider before visiting? Plan to speak with a realtor, need a hotel as well.

Last edited by ahumanbeing; 10-01-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM

3,804 posts, read 5,979,623 times
I think you are just going to have to visit the top 5 or 10 neighborhoods on your list and just see what kind of vibe you get. Maybe you'll just know it when you see it. See if you can get a realtor to take you around. I'm a westside gal so don't know much about eastside neighborhoods. There a great little restaurants all over, especially on the eastside. Most farmer's markets are open only once a week but they are all over town and easy to get to from just about any location. The biggest and best ones are the PSU Saturday Farmer's Market and the Beaverton Saturday Farmer's Market. But you can google to find a list of the many all over town. Many of them will close soon for the winter.

Don't know your hotel budget, but the Econolodge by PSU is across the street from several great food carts and close to public transit.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 26,752,177 times
Google "Portland Farmer's Markets." There is one everywhere almost everyday all over town. I am not sure if they all go into October though.

Do check with a realtor for your housing ideas. Your budget will more than likely get you something farther away from downtown and where the "TASTY TREATS" are. If you are thinking about the Pearl or the Alberta Arts area they are going to be costly. But there are places like Montavilla and Cully on the SE and NE side of town and areas on the SW part of town farther away from the more trendy areas that may do nicely.

What you will have to do is pick an affordable neighborhood and then look and see what's there rather than the other way around. They are there, you just have to hunt them out.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM

320 posts, read 394,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumanbeing View Post
Yeah, not sure what I was after (I've been reading the forum for a few weeks). I considered piggy-backing on another user's thread (posted hours before mine) because they were so similar but didn't out of respect for the OP.

How about this: I'm planning to spend some time in Portland this month and am looking for a few spots that really represent specific neighborhoods. I've spent sometime in downtown Portland but that's it. From what I understand, the Mississippi/Alberta area is more my speed but I'm open-minded.

Another, more specific query: where are the highest concentration of good restaurants/farmer's markets? "Good" =/= expensive, necessarily. Cheap lunch eats are MY THING. I don't drink so no interest in bars.

Anything else I should consider before visiting? Plan to speak with a realtor, need a hotel as well.
I highly recommend checking out this sight for a place to stay. Portland Oregon Vacation Rentals by Owner, Portland Oregon VRBO®, Portland OR Lodging, Portland OR Condos, Portland OR Accommodations

I think staying in a private home/condo vs. a hotel will give you a better feel for what it would be like to live there. You can even pick the specific neighborhood you would like to stay in, then look for house/condo that fits your criteria. Most of them list the price, pictures, reviews etc. I always stay in vacation rentals when traveling now. You get a whole house for the same price or sometimes cheaper than a hotel

Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM

What is your definition of "cheap?" As in cheap eats? It would be much easier to let us know what you want to spend on food so we can give you suggestions within your price range. Or maybe even what type of restaurants you like. Also your budget for places to stay. There are some great hostels that rent private rooms for not too much near public transportation but again how much is too much.

One of the problems is that Portland and cheap are usually not synonyms for many people. So having an actual price range is really very helpful in creating an information list in directing someone towards their visiting budget.

I bet you would get many more responses to your questions if you could do this.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,087,403 times
I don't know Portland well, but as a visitor every 3 months +/- who is borderline obsessed with urban anthropology, I think Portland will be quite manageable for you to see all the 'top/interesting' neighborhoods over 7-10 days. It is relatively small, compact and easy to navigate through especially when coming from a place like NYC. I think you should check out most of the neighborhoods close-ish to the city center. You may walk (or drive) through a few neighborhoods and know instantly it's not your style and scratch it off the list quick. You may walk through another, find you like it, but spend the day there and decide against it.....etc....There really isn't an unmanageable number of neighborhoods in Portland that'd work for you if you want to be IN the city.....

I'd suggest renting a car so you can cover more ground, but without you'd obviously get a better feel for how good the transit really is if you plan on living there without. And I'd definitely steer clear of stale hotels. PWNdreamin is right, you'll get a better feel if you stay elsewhere annnnnd it's often cheaper.

Here are some links that may be helpful:
http://www.walkscore.com/OR/Portland
Neighborhoods of Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Portland Neighborhoods: Information about Portland, Oregon

I think Portland will be cheap to the OP considering their last two living locations: La Jolla & Manhattan. Compared to these two places, and many other major cities, Portland is quite reasonable. I agree, though. If you gave some of the locals a bit more info on pricing you'd do much better.

Last edited by kapetrich; 10-01-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I think Portland will be cheap to the OP considering their last two living locations: La Jolla & Manhattan. Compared to these two places, and many other major cities, Portland is quite reasonable. I agree, though. If you gave some of the locals a bit more info on pricing you'd do much better.
Yes it is cheap in comparison to La Jolla and Manhattan but you cannot always compare salaries in those places to Portland salaries because Portland often turns out not to be so cheap due to the fact that Portland salaries are often lower for comparable jobs in other cities.

So it will depend upon what the OP does for a living and this is another important piece of information he has left out in inquiring about cheap eats and affordable neighborhoods and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: