Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM
ubh ubh started this thread

1 posts, read 3,951 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live in Portland Oregon where the cold weather is starting to hit us hard at home because our oil furnace is out.
We just bought our home back in July but we had not tried to work our oil furnace yet.

This weekend my wife and I tried to fire it up but can’t seem to get it to work.

The furnace is a bryant oil furnace, so I looked up local furnace repair place that specialized in bryant heating and cooling Temp A Cure to see about getting it repaired or replaced.
What they told me is that they couldn’t replace the item because oil furnaces are on their way out (strange beings everyone I talk to here in Portland seems has oil heating) and are costly to repair, and what I could do was upgrade to a different central heating.

Because we are new to the city I thought I would ask the locals about what they know and or prefer in heating begins we are planning to live here for quite a while.

Thanks.
D.

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-26-2007 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: no link required in this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,839 times
Default Life Line

I am the Customer Service Representative for Temp-A-Cure.

We do not normally respond to our customers in this way and would an opportunity to discuss this with you. Please call our office at (503) 253-6192.

Thank you,

Leanne Mears
Customer Service Manager

Old 10-26-2007, 11:47 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
sorry, we have a pellet stove for our heat....im clueless on the oil furnace stuff. do any of your new neighbors have one? or suggestions?
best of luck,
and i hope you get it figured quick, colds gonna be setting in before too much longer!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:05 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
What is a pellet stove? How do most Portlanders heat their homes ? Oil? I guess not solar (lol). Is there a long heating season?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 26,832 times
I'm not in portland, I'm in Wisconsin (for now -- planning on a move to portland) but I use a pellet stove here. It's basically a heater/furnace that burns wood pellets -- pellets are made from the sawdust from sawmills or what have you).
Anyway, I'm not sure of the availability of pellet stoves or even pellets in the Portland area, but it's a great way to heat a house.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
well, enough people that we had a shortage last winter and people were only allowed to buy one bag of pellets a week.....there are lots of fireplaces/woodstoves too. We had a w.stove when we lived in Mulino and loved that thing too! My mom has 2 fireplaces and what they do is close off whatever part of the house theyre not in, and use the fireplace, or a space heater.but thats just the two of them there then...My dad has a woodstove they use mostly, and then a forced air too.
i love our pellet stove btw, it does a terrific job of heating the place, fast! and the pellets are all made of wood products that are recycled. so...cool...lol

Old 10-28-2007, 07:25 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Very odd. Seems like one of my old neighbors in Portland put in a new oil furnance. I would try Jacobs. I don't know if they service Bryant but they might know.
Improve Heating Efficiency with Jacobs Heating and Air Conditioning

If they don't know ask your Real Estate Agent ... ours always knew people to help fix things etc.

We've still been running the ac here in NC. I'm so ready to be able to turn on the heat!!!

Good luck.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Spend the money to have that heating system evaluated. Get a statement in writing if it is unserviceable. When you bought the house in good faith, you expected everything to be working and servicable.
If you did not buy the house with an 'AS IS' contract..and I'm sure that you didn't...phone your realtor and make them aware of the problem..(If the heating system is unserviceable)...give them the opportunity to correct their problem before you sue.
A new oil fired heating system will cost between $8,500 to $12,000. The higher estimate if new ductwork must be installed.
Many realtors in Portland are buying distressed properties and giving them a facelift...then a quick sales turn-a-round...
Heating systems are expensive and this one may have been overlooked or ignored.
It's their responsibility to make this good if the system was faulty when you bought the home...good luck.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Just curious, does no one up there have plain ole' electric or gas heat? Or is that prohibitively expensive with 4+ months of cold weather?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
I've lived in three places in Portland--had Oil first, gas second and electric third .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: