U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 AM

7 posts, read 6,487 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I am completely new on this site, but I have questions for OR!
I am 23 years old and I am moving to OR with my husband (22) and my 3 children. We are a young family, so we don't really have any credit. I was on disability the beginning part of my adult life, so I didn't always have the money to pay my bills so my credit isn't amazing (but i dont owe any balances) and my husband doesn't really have any credit, seeing as to how he is very young. He is a "co signer" on our car, and that is building his credit.
My husband is going to start college at portland state college, and we are wondering what people in similar situations do for rentals. I was looking on craigslist and noticed everything was well over 1k a month! We pay 800$ a month here in Oklahoma, and sometimes that seems a little rough. My mom will be traveling with us to help with the kids while my husband is in school, but she doesn't have very good credit either due to an aweful divorce.
Is it really hard to rent when you don't have a lot of credit and are young? I was wondering if anyone could refer me to a company or rental that may be willing to qualify us for a home. We aren't moving until march, but I wanted to go ahead and research these things. We will have money in our pockets for a rental

My husband will be going to Portland State Univeristy, so i also wondered what places where good to live around that area? We have a 5 year old, 3 year old, and 9 month old so good schools and low crime are very important to us!
thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,459,001 times
Boy, you are in a hard place. The rental market in Portland is tight in the first place, with poor credit, even spread among three adults you're going to have a very hard time finding an apartment. Keep in mind that vacancy rates are in the 3% range, so landlords can afford to be picky.

Next, PSU is pretty much downtown Portland. You're not talking about the most family friendly place there, parks tend to be full of homeless. It's noisy at night. You're not going to find anything other then a run down apartment at your price. Schools in the suburbs tend to better, although there are plenty of school systems that are much worse then Portland Public Schools, they're not exactly top notch. Except to commute to PSU, luckily there are some nice bike lanes through there, and the street car goes close by.

You didn't say anything about jobs, but even minimum wage jobs are hard to find. The "Young People go to Portland to Retire," BS is somewhat rooted in reality even if it is a gross oversimplification.

Lastly, you didn't say if you've ever been to Portland. The weather here is a lot different the Oklahoma. You know it rains, you probably think you like the rain. You probably think you can handle the pretty much constant grey skies, but you won't know for sure until you experience it yourself.

I would highly suggest you stay where you are, have your husband go to a local Community College to get his basic classes out of the way. This will save you money for his education, and hopefully the rental and job markets will be a bit better in a year or two.

If you insist on coming, you're going to have to make some compromises. You'll either need to find a place in Beaverton, somewhere near the Beaverton Transit Center or Milikan MAX Stop would be your best bet. While neither of those areas are great areas to live they're cheap, and the worst you'll really need to deal with is foreign languages, car prowlings, and domestic disturbances via neighbors. You'll be in the Beaverton school district, which is slightly better then Portland. But you'll have to commute on MAX to PSU.

You can go the other way along the MAX tracks, but as the costs of apartments fall, so do the quality of tenants. It's cheaper out around 122nd through 162nd along the MAX tracks, but those are also some of Portland's highest crime areas.

You can check out apartment prices via http://padmapper.com and all of Portland's crime stats are here CrimeMapper

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM

192 posts, read 415,125 times
Have you looked into the resident vs non-resident fees at PSU(i.e. non-residents pay TRIPLE what residents pay)? Are you aware that one must live in Oregon for 12 months before qualifying for their resident fee structure?

Hamellr's advice is sound - staying where you are for right now may benefit you much more in the long run.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM

We have a job secure, just over the border into Washington. It's an inventory job with WIS. My mother and I will work full time with that company, making a little over minimum wage. My husband will work for one year, to get the in state tuition. He is a computer technician, and currently works in tech support. I assume he will attempt to find the same kind of work in OR. If he can't get a job of equal status, he's completely fine flipping burgers :P
No, I have never been to portland. My mother has, but I have not.
My husband is pretty stuck on this school...
We actually just had an APT for HUD section 8 approval, and I hear we can move it to another state if we apply. So, maybe this would help us out.

Another option, that we had discussed, is getting a decent sized RV for only me, my husband, and our kids and staying at an RV lot all bills paid (i've seen a few that way) and it would be CONSIDERABLY cheaper. I know that it wouldn't be ideal, but it'd only be until he secured his degree in computer sceince. I only have to wonder if it's illegal to have 3 kids in an RV? because there technically isn't "bedrooms", no matter how big the RV is.

anyone know? thanks.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,009,831 times
Rents are generally cheaper on the Washington side.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM

@sherwoody:: thank you, I am seriously considering this

Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,210,212 times
Problem with living in Vancouver is that it won't satisfy Oregon residency for the college tuition.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 6,610,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSirius View Post
Another option, that we had discussed, is getting a decent sized RV for only me, my husband, and our kids and staying at an RV lot all bills paid (i've seen a few that way) and it would be CONSIDERABLY cheaper. I know that it wouldn't be ideal, but it'd only be until he secured his degree in computer sceince. I only have to wonder if it's illegal to have 3 kids in an RV? because there technically isn't "bedrooms", no matter how big the RV is.

anyone know? thanks.
You can't seriously be considering raising three children in an RV while your husband gets his college education??? "Not ideal" and "illegal" doesn't even begin to cover that...

Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 PM

@kim: Well I meant a larger sized trailer, yes. And honestly I spend many years in them when I grew up and it wasn't a problem, hence why I asked first. I'm really trying to find ways for this to work, it's not like my kids wouldn't hVe a bed / food / stove / shower....

Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,928,021 times
Please do not think of depending upon getting a job flipping burgers. The lines for these kinds of jobs are very, very long. Many come to Portland with just that idea in mind. Never, never assume it is easy to get that type of job.

One thing you should consider your husband has office skills which he must have if he has computer experience is for him to sign up at a temporary office employment agency. Many large companies like to hire people from those places. If they like the people they hire, they will take them on permanently. I worked for a large insurance company and that is from where they hired nearly all their non specialized people. Those they kept went on to really good jobs with training and good salaries.

Forget the burgers. Aim for something that is more attainable and in line with your spouse's skills. He may have to start in a lower clerical job than he is used to but if he is a good worker, he can work up to much better things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: