Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,961 times

Advertisements

Where can I move where the dream of the 90's is indeed alive but, more specifically, where people go who are too punk for the Portland "scene", whatever that may be (no disrespect intended toward something I haven't experienced yet--just looking for a comfort zone to start with, coward that I am, I guess)?

I would also like to be as close as possible to any of the areas listed below, where the best elementary schools seem to be located:

Bethany
Birdshill
Boise
Brooklyn
Cedar Mill
Collins View
Concordia
Creston-Kenilworth
Darlington
Hosford-Abernethy
Milwaukie
Multnomah
Northwest Heights
Oak Hills
Raleigh Hills
Richmond
Sellwood-Moreland
South Tabor
Sunnyside
West Haven-Sylvan
Woodstock

Any answers are appreciated, even from folks who don't appreciate the kind of question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Well, I am not offended but I am not sure I get your question. If you want to visit, Hawthorne Blvd it looks a lot like what you may see on "Portlandia." If you stroll along Hawthorne you will see a lot of punk type people, hipsters and people who look wierd. They like the area. As far as living here though, if you stroll along the neighborhoods amongst the apartments or houses, it looks pretty much like any other neighborhood. Pretty quiet. That's pretty much Sunnyside/Brooklyn which is on your list and Buckman which isn't but is neaby.

I can't speak for other neighborhoods because this is where I live. I suppose there is a Portland "scene" somewhere. But I think there are maybe different scenes depending upon what people are into.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
The notion that there is one Portland "scene" is just not true. I think all of them pretty much co-exist together. So I can't really say any one area is more "punk" than another.

And your list ... well, it's all over town. I'm an eastside person, so I'm not as familiar with westside living day-to-day. But the eastside would seem to me to be more varied, as to "types." I feel like the westside, and it's suburbs are a bit more traditional. But then, the westside probably has better schools.

I'd probably go for the south-east area, Brooklyn, Darlington, Woodstock. Further out, Sunnyside (there are two areas named this, I'm talking Clackamas County here), Milwaukie, Sellwood, might be too suburban. But the schools there will probably be better, and rents a little lower.

I'm sure others will have completely opposite views ... but that's my take on it.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
What is "the dream of the 90s?"

Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM

I would imagine that if any city had just one "scene" it would be a pretty dull city. Seriously, the best feature of any city would be that it would have lots to offer in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,628 times
like EnricoV says, your list is all over the place. if you want anything even resembling stereotypical portlandia, or "more" i'd avoid the west side. the better schools on the west side are in affluent suburban-ish areas and there is not a dream of the 90's vibe going on here. I'm not familiar with the schools or neighborhoods on the east side.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you are looking for in Portland? Maybe we will be able to give you better answers. You are kind of all over the place here. As has been pointed out, Portland has very different areas that have very different "scenes". You might want to narrow it down a bit as to what you would like to be involved in.

And maybe explain about the "90's" thing. What do you mean by that?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,549 times
oregon city and 82nd are pretty 90's

Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
oregon city and 82nd are pretty 90's
I haven't been around that area in awhile. I thought it was kind of suburban. How do you mean?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,549 times
rock music and not too futuristic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland