Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
115 posts, read 229,377 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

So my husband is flying to Portland Thursday morning for a job interview. The interview is in Clackamas, but he'll have a few hours to kill beforehand (he arrives around 11am and the interview is at 6pm). What are the best public transportation options for getting downtown from the airport, and then to Clackamas (and how long does that take, roughly)?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
2,515 posts, read 5,036,814 times
Reputation: 2924
MAX light rail - the Red line from the airport to downtown (the airport station is next to baggage claim), and the Green line from downtown to Clackamas.

TriMet: Public Transit in the Portland Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
10,992 posts, read 20,617,151 times
Reputation: 8266
He should check on transportation from the Clackamas MAX station to his interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,695 posts, read 28,515,728 times
Reputation: 35863
Airport to downtown is no problem. It can take about an hour. But be sure that the MAX will go from downtown Portland to wherever the job interview is from downtown Portland to Clackamas. You can check that out now by using the TriMet Trip Planner online. Just put in something like 5th and Morrison or Pioneer Square as the starting point and then put the address of the interview in Clackamas as the destination point. It may be possible that the MAX doesn't go near there or it could be it does. In either case, your husband will need to know so he can adjust his plans accordingly. There are also buses that go from downtown to Clackamas.

TriMet has a travel office in Pioneer Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Oregon & Sunsites Arizona
8,000 posts, read 17,376,216 times
Reputation: 2873
He should have no trouble getting there in six hours, but it could be close. Things happen. Cabs are another choice. He will have to take a bus part way if he uses MAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,695 posts, read 28,515,728 times
Reputation: 35863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
He should have no trouble getting there in six hours, but it could be close. Things happen. Cabs are another choice. He will have to take a bus part way if he uses MAX.
Yeah, on second thought, if it were me and it was a job interview, I wouldn't take a chance on TriMet from downtown. I would take a cab to the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Portland OR
378 posts, read 976,242 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, on second thought, if it were me and it was a job interview, I wouldn't take a chance on TriMet from downtown. I would take a cab to the interview.

I think a 6 hour window would be safe. Just take the Red to Gateway and transfer to the Green and ride to the end of line. Worse comes to worse you can call a cab is it's delayed at any stop. If you take the train to the end of the line you can hang out at the mall (take advantage of our lack of sales tax ). Not to mention you probably don't want to be gallivanting around before an interview, risk getting rained on, ruin a suit etc. Not to mention be stressed out with rushing to find the business. Have your husband get a nice lunch at the airport before heading out as prices onsite are the same as offsite. Flying Elephants deli in the main concourse outside of security has very good deli style food for a good price. Anyways - best wishes on the interview! So many people move here without jobs I always cheer for the ones who move here the right way (like me ), let the company pay for the move!

Cheers!

Last edited by danwilsonbsee; 10-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: horrible grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,695 posts, read 28,515,728 times
Reputation: 35863
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
I think a 6 hour window would be safe. Just take the Red to Gateway and transfer to the Green and ride to the end of line. Worse comes to worse you can call a cab is it's delayed at any stop. If you take the train to the end of the line you can hang out at the mall (take advantage of our lack of sales tax ). Not to mention you probably don't want to be gallivanting around before an interview, risk getting rained on, ruin a suit etc. Not to mention be stressed out with rushing to find the business. Have your husband get a nice lunch at the airport before heading out as prices onsite are the same as offsite. Flying Elephants deli in the main concourse outside of security has very good deli style food for a good price. Anyways - best wishes on the interview! So many people move here without jobs I always cheer for the ones who move here the right way (like me ), let the company pay for the move!

Cheers!
Red goes from the airport to downtown. No problem. Green goes from downtown to Clackamas Town Center, the end of the line. So why does the OP's husband have to transfer from Red to Green at Gateway going to Clackamas? Returning to the airport from the interview in Clackamas, if that what he plans to do, then he will have to take the Green and transfer to the Red at Gateway.

But all this is kind of iffy because it will depend upon just where in Clackamas the interview will take place and whether or not the MAX get him there. If the interview is at 6pm in Clackamas, where will the OP's husband need to go to afterwards? The airport again? How is he planning to get there? At that point will he be near enough to the Green MAX station to transfer to the Red to get back to the airport if he has a flight out?

I think there needs to be some mapping out here since we are talking about one end of the suburbs to another end of the city which are nowhere near one another and the transit system might not meet the time frame involved. It would help for the OP to let us know the vicinity in which the interview is going to take place in Clackamas. It may not be near a MAX station.

We don't want hubby to get stranded and miss that interview!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Portland OR
378 posts, read 976,242 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Red goes from the airport to downtown. No problem. Green goes from downtown to Clackamas Town Center, the end of the line. So why does the OP's husband have to transfer from Red to Green at Gateway going to Clackamas? Returning to the airport from the interview in Clackamas, if that what he plans to do, then he will have to take the Green and transfer to the Red at Gateway.

But all this is kind of iffy because it will depend upon just where in Clackamas the interview will take place and whether or not the MAX get him there. If the interview is at 6pm in Clackamas, where will the OP's husband need to go to afterwards? The airport again? How is he planning to get there? At that point will he be near enough to the Green MAX station to transfer to the Red to get back to the airport if he has a flight out?

I think there needs to be some mapping out here since we are talking about one end of the suburbs to another end of the city which are nowhere near one another and the transit system might not meet the time frame involved. It would help for the OP to let us know the vicinity in which the interview is going to take place in Clackamas. It may not be near a MAX station.

We don't want hubby to get stranded and miss that interview!
I was suggesting the OP's husband not go to downtown. The Red to Gateway and then a transfer to the Green to Clackamas is correct if he's heading there from the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,695 posts, read 28,515,728 times
Reputation: 35863
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
I was suggesting the OP's husband not go to downtown. The Red to Gateway and then a transfer to the Green to Clackamas is correct if he's heading there from the airport.
Oh I see. I would also skip downtown. I am with you on this one. Good suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top