Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 AM

25 posts, read 53,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notangry View Post
The rain is a bonus for us. But no matter where we look, no matter who we talk to... it all comes down to the PPS system is in complete disarray and a mess.
Madison, WI is a pretty tough act to follow, we know, but we were living here when we first decided that Portland was to be our final destination. Of course, we didn't have children then and never gave the schools a thought...
Where did you move from? What neighborhood are you in? We are considering Sellwood/West Moreland or Hawthorne.
Thanks for your reply baby!
Hey, my husband and I are moving to Portland with kids in a year or so, and I have also been looking at Sellwood. I looked into the elementary school there, Llewellyn Elementary, and it looks like a great school. Parents are very involved and they have great arts and music programs. Llewellyn Elementary - Welcome (click on link & scroll down) Sellwood seems like a great place to raise kids, they have movies in the parks in the summer and activities going on all year round. We want to live in the city with kids, and Sellwood seems like a great alternative. From what I have seen, you can get a house starting at 350-400 there, but you might have to do some work to it.

We are moving from Norway to Portland, but my husband is from the Midwest and we lived there for a long time. I think that with all the great people moving there, it's not going to be a move we regret. It's exciting to hear that more people in our situation are going there. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,504 times
Default info on sellwood from a resident

I've just found this forum, and thought I'd post some info that may be of help.

Ironically, we are leaving Portland to head back to the midwest. I have lived in Portland for nearly 15 years. I arrived here as a carefree single, and during that time I married and now have 2 young children. We have lived in Sellwood/Moreland for the past 7 years.

Portland has been a wonderful experience. It has so much to offer, but it's not perfect. I can see why it is a draw to people (it was to me), but I think you need to consider many factors in deciding what's best for your family. If you were young and single, I'd definitely say go for it. But deciding what's best for your kids involves other factors.

First, the schools. If you have already experienced Madison schools, then I think you will be disappointed. (my husband is from WI). Our kids go to Llewellyn. I do think it is one of the better elementary schools (not one of the tops, though). It's definitely a nice neighborhood school. And yes, there is a great deal of parent involvement. But that's because they have to! There would be no art program without the parents (it's parent run by volunteers, and I would not call it great). As far as music, they were quite excited this year to get a part time music teacher. I'm not sure how it would exactly compare to Madison, but there are many, many fund raisers that pay for any extra activities -- and many, many volunteers that make it all happen. Essentially, the more affluent neighborhoods pay a lot out of their own pocket to make it a better school. Obviously, the poorer neighborhood schools suffer. The school day is probably one hour shorter than Madison, and there are many "teacher planning days" off during the year.

The elementary schools in Portland are the highlight of the district. But once you hit junior high, and especially high school, the picture is not so rosy. It's definitely something for you to think about.

As far as home prices, $350-400 will get you a small bungalow that probably needs some work. If you want anything bigger or better you are way above this.

Weather: It took me several years to adjust to the gray and rain. Then I had several good years. And now for the past several years I have not been able to stand it. I think this happened when I had kids. If you are used to having your kids be outside playing in the winter, then think about what it is like to live in the rain for many, many months. Yes, it's a mild winter. And no snow to contend with (maybe that's good or bad for you). And yes, you just have to get out there in a good raincoat. But still... it's tough if your frame of reference is different.

It's spectacularly beautiful here. But consider that recreation is different than you may be used to. Worth noting is that there is essentially no lake swimming here. And the ocean, while beautiful, is cold and dangerous and most nobody swims in it.

We are moving back to the midwest for many reasons. To be closer to family, to get a better public education for our kids, to get better housing, to escape the rain, to be near the lakes (especially lake michigan!).

I understand the desire to strike out in a new place. Maybe you could rent for a year to test it out?

Hope this was helpful. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland