Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times

Advertisements

Bear with me... I grew up in Salem for 18 years and lived a good portion of those 18 years at OHSU. However, I am 15 years removed from that experience.

I am seriously looking into graduate school at Portland State and visited it briefly a few months back. I was impressed, but my girlfriend is slightly more hesitant. The rain/greyness doesn't phase me as much as it does her but if she knew what there was to do in Portland she will be less concerned. And since I am so removed from the Oregon scene, and quite frankly have no clue, I'd like to know, what is there to do on a daily basis in Portland?

I will be a graduate student (social work) and she's between jobs. We love farmers markets, food trucks, coffee, and chill things to do. Not so much the expensive stuff like museums because I'm a student, like I said. But if you guys have an equivalent to our First Fridays where museums open up for free, it'd be good to know that too.

So if you guys could let me (and in turn her) know what daily life is like in Portland, it'd be greatly appreciated. She was impressed when we visited, I just want to quiet her fears. For what it's worth, we'd also like to know what the LGBTQ scene is like as well :-)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 AM

320 posts, read 417,338 times
Well, I don't live in Portland (yet), so I can't speak to everyday life there. However, I research Portland constantly as I plan to move there in the future. I have also vacationed there and plan to go again in a few months. I personally have had a very difficult time trying to fit SOOO MANY things to do into our trips. One of the things that drew me there was the seemingly endless places in and within driving distance to Portland to explore You mentioned a few yourself already...

Portland Farmers Market, Portland Saturday Market, Beaverton Farmers Market and several more. I think there are over 600 food carts if I remember correctly. Restaurants and Bars/Pubs Galore! Forest Park, Mount Tabor, The Grotto, Japanese Garden, Chinese Garden, World Forestry center, Portland Zoo, International Rose test Gardens, movie theaters, Bagdad Theater, shopping/walking on NW 23rd, Shanghai tunnels, Powells Bookstore, coffee, coffee, and more coffee! Central Library, Portland fountains, Bike trails, and soo much more! Portland also has different festivals and events throughout the year. All that is just a few things in Portland. There is of course so much more surrounding Portland such as The Columbia River Gorge, several waterfalls, Mt. Hood, Hood River etc. Then you have the Oregon coast within an hour and a half drive, with several picturesque towns to explore. If your really bored, Seattle is just about 3 hours away with endless possibilities!! Don't forget about the Olympic Peninsula

Try this link....

Things to do in Portland: Check out 307 Portland Attractions - TripAdvisor

Have fun and tell your girlfriend I'm jealous she gets to move there before I do!

Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
So if you guys could let me (and in turn her) know what daily life is like in Portland, it'd be greatly appreciated. She was impressed when we visited, I just want to quiet her fears. For what it's worth, we'd also like to know what the LGBTQ scene is like as well :-)

Thanks in advance!
There is a huge LGBTQ scene in Portland, with parties and events all the time. Check out the website Just Out for a lot more details.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
A good source for events in Portland is the free paper, Willamette Week. Looking through this week's events (rather than picking one day, I'll go for the whole week) there are (of varying costs) listed:

7 comedy shows
26 plays
7 classical music shows
14 dance events
17 bars with live music on the slowest day of the week (Monday)
18 music "events"
6 food "events"

The Visitor's Bureau has a page of free things to do in Portland, or museums with free days. And believe me, this is not a comprehensive list. And something I have no direct experience with, but have been told of ... I was told the public library has a "pass" you can check out that will get you free entrance to many museums, gardens, etc., around town. That would bear looking into.

Add to that the sporting-type events, volunteer groups, social groups (like Meet-Up) and I'm sure you'll find more things to do than you'll have time for.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
But if you guys have an equivalent to our First Fridays where museums open up for free, it'd be good to know that too.
The art museum has a free Friday every month, and OMSI has $2 admission on the first or second Sunday of every month.

Meetup is a great way to find things to do. There's also a blog: Around the Sun: A Blog About Saving Money in Portland, Oregon, and beyond - which is updated every week with free/inexpensive things to do on the weekends. PDX Pipeline is another good source for activities.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Portland is one of those cities where you can find most anything you can imagine to suit any taste. As an example would be the post that preceeded this one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/portland/1721803-portland-most-casual-sex-strip-clubs.html

GLBT is not an issue anywhere in Western Oregon. A true NON ISSUE and not worth mentioning unless you want to stand out, or are expecting some special treatment.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
GLBT is not an issue anywhere in Western Oregon. A true NON ISSUE and not worth mentioning unless you want to stand out, or are expecting some special treatment.
Ha, funny thing you said that. We aren't looking for special treatment or want to stand out in any respect. However, Phoenix struggles a bit in this regard so that is something we are looking for--LGBTQ culture where we move--that's all.

Thanks for all the recommendations and websites everyone. I am going to be very thankful to be moving here in the near future :-)

Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Just a note, while there are plenty of LGBTQ things to do and a decent number of gay bars, there are no lesbian bars.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Just a note, while there are plenty of LGBTQ things to do and a decent number of gay bars, there are no lesbian bars.

Quote:
Ha, funny thing you said that. We aren't looking for special treatment or want to stand out in any respect. However, Phoenix struggles a bit in this regard so that is something we are looking for--LGBTQ culture where we move--that's all.

Thanks for all the recommendations and websites everyone. I am going to be very thankful to be moving here in the near future :-)

I find this all so funny has my GLBT Sister left Oregon for Phoenix/Mesa/Apache Junction where the GLBT lifestyle was more, has she said "Vibrant". And I can name at least three Lesbian bars in Portland. I have been to two of them.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default good morning...

Quote:
Bear with me... I grew up in Salem for 18 years and lived a good portion of those 18 years at OHSU. However, I am 15 years removed from that experience.

I am seriously looking into graduate school at Portland State and visited it briefly a few months back. I was impressed, but my girlfriend is slightly more hesitant. The rain/greyness doesn't phase me as much as it does her but if she knew what there was to do in Portland she will be less concerned. And since I am so removed from the Oregon scene, and quite frankly have no clue, I'd like to know, what is there to do on a daily basis in Portland?

I will be a graduate student (social work) and she's between jobs. We love farmers markets, food trucks, coffee, and chill things to do. Not so much the expensive stuff like museums because I'm a student, like I said. But if you guys have an equivalent to our First Fridays where museums open up for free, it'd be good to know that too.

Thanks in advance!
Well...your gf could spend her time looking for work, that would give her access to the Portland scene on a daily basis. She can scout out the markets and coffee houses and neighborhoods...just a thought.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland