Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

A slight expansion to the urban growth boundary or looking at building additional highway infrastructure doesn't concern as long as we're still preserving most of the farmland in the Willamette Valley. As much as I prefer urban living and don't have much interest in living in the suburbs--as the Portland Metro grows, it's crazy to think that everyone is going to prefer to live in dense, compact apartments in the central neighborhoods. There's a market for them, but there's also a market for single-family homes. I don't want us to turn into Phoenix with rows of now-vacant tract homes stretching off into the distance, but I think some growth is good for the area.
Oregon has rules governing how the UGB is expanded. Metro follows those very closely, in fact most of the land in the Portland area removed from the UGB in the past two decades has been in Washington County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
What's that oddball chunk out by Cornelius. I saw a documentary on urban planning in the Portland metro. They showed a map with one contiguous area. And then this strange thing out to the west. People out there want some sort of change so some business can expand. I thought it strange that Metro was getting this request to cater to one business. But maybe it was more than that.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,808 times
It is because the city thinks that everyone will ride Max, the trolly, or bike. It helps but fact is most people drive. And with the constant rain who the hell wants to ride their bike besides hardcore commuters? Road improvement is needed badly. We have the smallest freeways I have ever seen in any major city anywhere. It does not help that our drivers are the slowest and most unaware on the entire west coast.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Unaware?

If you are unaware driving around Portland, you or somebody else will quickly end up in the hospital.
There is enough of a mix of different types of transportation and low visability during the rains that you have to be aware just to drive down the street.
That's what makes Portland drivers drive slowly.

I don't know if it's possible to be clueless yet aware?

I agree with the rest of your post though!

Portland doesn't really make car commuting easy.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Portland doesn't really make car commuting easy.
Especially when they change streets up like they did a couple of years ago with Sandy/Burnside/Couch or change the names.

While I was waiting (and waiting) for the MAX at Pioneer Square Saturday, I was watching the traffic in that area snagging itself up mostly due to people not being patient. Normally, I would have driven down and parked in the Smart Park but (other than the 30+ minute MAX delay) watching traffic I was really glad I'd parked at Gateway!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM

"Slowest"? What does that mean? They actually drive according to the relevant traffic laws? How does "slowest drivers" represent any criticism? Two things allow driving slow. Dense settlement and leaving enough time to get to the destination. Inversely, buying in exurbia and inability to manage time produces impatient speeders. Sorry, but between the two lifestyles, the former seems the more rational and mature. I guess there probably is some sort of cultural bias against the rush-rush culture typical of some major metropolises. And it would be very wise for anyone who considers moving to decide if they are at all able to adapt to such a laidback culture. Beyond that, I'd not even bring it up in this kind of discussion. I'll bet I could find even MORE laid back drivers than Portland's. People often seek that out, you know. They don't seek the company of those caught in a perpetural adrenalin rush.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natives Rule View Post
Traffic was lighter before the California invasion in the 60's.
Fixed that for you

Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Fixed that for you
Weird. I lived there in the 60's and was unaware of any California invasion. I know it was feared. But I think it came later.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
theres been so many crashes on highway 99e and i205

today there was a crash on 99e in oregon city again

Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Fixed that for you
I remember taking 217 from 99 to Beaverton right after they opened it. It was about 10 AM on a Sunday morning, and there weren't more than two dozen cars on the road all the way to Beaverton. The road was smooth as glass.

Things were always better in the Good Old Days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland