Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM

27 posts, read 53,735 times

Advertisements

I'm not super religious, but for over a decade, my dad and I had a tradition of going to Christmas midnight mass at his beautiful Catholic cathedral church in my hometown. Now that he's retired to Mexico am I'm in Portland, I want to carry on the tradition myself.

There's a church pretty near my house, but I haven't seen inside it. I really don't mind having to drive a little way to find a really gorgeous church. It would be extra special if it had a choir that sang before the mass. As I am not Catholic (was christened, but nothing else), I'm not particularly worried about staying within my parish. This is a truly sacred and reverent experience that always helps me focus on how thankful I am for my blessings (or fortune, whatever it is) at Christmas time.

Does anyone go to midnight mass, and what is your experience with that here in Portland? Any suggestions for a church where it is a a celebration? Does the bishop visit any Portland churches for this mass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiraleyes View Post
There's a church pretty near my house, but I haven't seen inside it. I really don't mind having to drive a little way to find a really gorgeous church. It would be extra special if it had a choir that sang before the mass. As I am not Catholic (was christened, but nothing else), I'm not particularly worried about staying within my parish. This is a truly sacred and reverent experience that always helps me focus on how thankful I am for my blessings (or fortune, whatever it is) at Christmas time.
Parish boundaries were done away with years ago, at least in the South, unless the Archdiocese of Portland is different. You're free to be a parishoner wherever you feel to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiraleyes View Post
Does anyone go to midnight mass, and what is your experience with that here in Portland? Any suggestions for a church where it is a a celebration? Does the bishop visit any Portland churches for this mass?
I go to midnight mass, although I haven't (and won't be) gone to one in Portland. If you are looking for a traditional Christmass mass, I would recommend Holy Rosary parish off NE Clackamas. It's run by very traditional Dominican monks. There will be chanting, Latin, traditional christmas songs, choir, incense, and most likely celebrated with his back toward the people(they do this for most feast days). They might actually do things according to the "old way" but if not, it'll be a very reverent, and latinized/traditional "new way" Mass.

The Archbishop sits at the Cathedral near Burnside and 18th as that is where his cathedra is, I'm sure they will have a beautiful liturgy as well.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Close to the RC Cathedral, St. Mary's Saint Mary’s Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, is Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. Similar, if not longer, service. Welcome to Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Be sure to arrive before 10:30 pm. The parish has added an 8 PM service to take the seating stress off the 11 pm service.

Because both Cathedral midnight services start at the same time seriously consider the off-site parking options.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 12-22-2012 at 06:27 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I'm pretty progressive but I cannot consider Episcopal and Roman Catholic services to be interchangeable. I assumed the o.p. was looking for an R.C. parish and I have heard good things said about "The Grotto" in Portland. Myself, I would go to Trinity Cathedral because an Episcopalian Vigil works for me, although I am on the music staff of a large Roman Catholic parish.

H

Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM

The music folks at Trinity are active in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese, and.. believe it or not.. Temple Beth Israel. Years ago my family went to a Bar Mitzvah at Beth Israel and thought the cantor sounded familiar.. he sang at Trinity. This triangle of religious institutions in NW Portland is a community. The clergy of all three participate in the religious education of our youth.

As one of my Mother's friends (who has long left to live among the angels) said, it is quicker to eat and run at St. Mary's than Trinity.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
I attend Trinity sometimes and have seen a nun in the choir. The music there is top-notch, and their late-night Christmas Eve services are beautiful.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Episcopalians have nuns too although the neighborhood culture is inclusive, focusing more on liturgical music than anyone's theology.

Trinity has a strong music culture that goes beyond the choir. http://www.trinity-episcopal.org/08T...ity_music.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: