Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

I am surprised to hear that an apartment dweller would get a separate water bill each month. How can that be determined? Is it a total building usage divided by apartment? A separate meter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:30 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am surprised to hear that an apartment dweller would get a separate water bill each month. How can that be determined? Is it a total building usage divided by apartment? A separate meter?
Divided by the total number of occupants in the building was the way my old place did it. Kind of annoying because I showered at the gym and used very little water over all.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Divided by the total number of occupants in the building was the way my old place did it. Kind of annoying because I showered at the gym and used very little water over all.
Did your lease say this was to be included in your rent or were you billed separately for it? The reason I am asking is because in all my many years of renting I have never heard of being charged for water. My rental contracts always specified landlord pays water, sewer and garbage except when I rented a house. I would hate to live in a building where I as a single person had to divide up water usage with a family with a bunch of kids who used five times the water I used.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
It's what I have been saying. Has anyone ever had a water in an APARTMENT that was not included in the rent?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
I mentioned above I get a separate bill. The companies FAQ's page has all the answers to your questions.

https://www.istabills.com/content/faqs.aspx

Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM

378 posts, read 974,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
It's what I have been saying. Has anyone ever had a water in an APARTMENT that was not included in the rent?
Yes, it comes as a separate bill. I've had it all four ways in my life (separate meter - complex paid for, separate meter - paid for per unit, master meter for complex - complex paid for and master meter for complex - paid for per unit) but a in a combination of states (MI, TX, NC and OR). Right now in SW downtown PDX we have one master meter and a separate bill paid for per unit by the renter.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Well, I guess you learn something new everyday. I have rented in Chicago, Urbana IL, Tigard and Portland and have never come across this but I have to say though, had I ever run across this when seeking an apartment rental, it would have been a dealbreaker for me.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I mentioned above I get a separate bill. The companies FAQ's page has all the answers to your questions.

https://www.istabills.com/content/faqs.aspx
Sorry but I don't see the answer. They mange homes and apartments. Nothing indicating they bill for water in Apartments. As to the poster saying they pay seperate for water in an apartmet, you are one in a million and since it is flatrated or percentage, it may as well be on the rent. Very unusaual.

To the OP. No you are very unlikly to have a seperate water bill in any apartment.

Maybe some of the older slum lord type places may bill a percetage of the overall monthly bill, but don't expect to see one.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Did your lease say this was to be included in your rent or were you billed separately for it? The reason I am asking is because in all my many years of renting I have never heard of being charged for water. My rental contracts always specified landlord pays water, sewer and garbage except when I rented a house. I would hate to live in a building where I as a single person had to divide up water usage with a family with a bunch of kids who used five times the water I used.
I got charged separately. It came as a surprise when I went to renew my lease. I lived in that apartment for just under five years and had four different rental companies.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
I was on a usage based apartment where we used 2000 gallons a month and it was only averaging $30.00 now im at a different apartment and the bill has no usage reading and is $50.00 and im about to flip out this is not right!!!! if the whole building is on one meter i will be fighting the cost compared to my old bills at my old apartment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: