Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
In person I only shake my head and try to tell everyone who hasn't experienced a Portland snow storm to stay home or take public transportation.

And then follow that up with the inevitable "Told you so," when they disregard my advice.

In my younger days I dated a young woman from as far north Michigan as you can get. She scoffed at our "minuscule" amount of snow (true,) and laughingly told me that she knew how to drive on ice just fine as she'd been doing so for years.

Her car was totaled when she lost control.
Oh dear, I hope she was okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 PM

378 posts, read 974,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
In person I only shake my head and try to tell everyone who hasn't experienced a Portland snow storm to stay home or take public transportation.

And then follow that up with the inevitable "Told you so," when they disregard my advice.

In my younger days I dated a young woman from as far north Michigan as you can get. She scoffed at our "minuscule" amount of snow (true,) and laughingly told me that she knew how to drive on ice just fine as she'd been doing so for years.

Her car was totaled when she lost control.
Exactly my point. People that grew up driving in snow in the midwest have no clue how to handle elevation and inclines. I know not one person from my time in Chicago or Detroit that has ever had to chain up to get to work. My car is AWD but just because you can start doesn't mean you can stop. Thankfully I work mostly from home so when the snow is happening in the valley, I'm in my pajamas watching the traffic and laughing and laughing and laughing.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Spent years driving in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. Also many snowstorms in Oregon. They are not the same when it comes to driving. Same thing for the record snowfall Tennessee and Kentucky got in 1992.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 AM

131 posts, read 277,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Glad to hear the trip went well. How did the apartment hunt go? Or is going?

It's good, thanks for asking!

I met a rental agent through a friend when I arrived and she informed me the time of year with the most available rentals is Jan/Feb, and it seems she is right. Craigslist is now flooded with availabilities in the location which I am looking...which is Northwest area, and prices seem to be reasonable. Until recently (this week), I couldn't find anything on craigslist. I forgot the reason she told me this was a good time of the year to look.??

I have until end of February to find something, so I am taking my time and enjoying the holidays for now. I am also in touch with a mortgage broker...I am wanting to buy fairly soon.

I couldn't be happier with my relocation to Portland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland