Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you support a West Side Bypass?
No 6 42.86%
Yes 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Hillsboro plans to lobby the Legislature for 'rigorous' look at west side bypass | OregonLive.com

With Hillsboro becoming the second hub of the metro region, the idea needs to be revisited again. My guess is that there won't be a bypass in the next 50 years but there will be a series of smaller solution aimed at creating a more feasible way to get from Wilsonville/Tualatin to Hillsboro, hopefully before Roy Rogers Road and the other rural connections are completely overrun.
A sensible and reasonable concept. The southern connection from Wilsonville to Highway 26.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
THE critical leg is over the Columbia. If we can't upgrade the bridge over the Columbia at I-5 what makes us think that is likely? Bridges over the Columbia must be high enough to accomodate commercial shipping. Will it happen? Probably not in my lifetime but perhaps in my grandchildren's.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
A sensible and reasonable concept. The southern connection from Wilsonville to Highway 26.
I don't know what you expect them to do after they get on 26. A few years ago I tried to get onto 26 from 217 at rush hour. I sat there, and sat there, and sat there, and after finally making it onto 26 I sat there again. It took me an hour to make it from the 217 junction to Banks. Since then, if I'm going to Seaside I go to Forest Grove through Carlton and skip urban driving completely.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't know what you expect them to do after they get on 26. A few years ago I tried to get onto 26 from 217 at rush hour. I sat there, and sat there, and sat there, and after finally making it onto 26 I sat there again. It took me an hour to make it from the 217 junction to Banks. Since then, if I'm going to Seaside I go to Forest Grove through Carlton and skip urban driving completely.

I agree its a dead end. It is however a route that opens up commerce with Hillsboro's southern neighbor communities. Going into Portland on 26 is only for the most patient of individuals. It certainly would provide a choice to those don't want or need to go into Portland to access the valley and other communities.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
This type of thing - if it happens at all - would be done piecemeal, one small chunk of road at a time. And any such project would terminate on the Oregon side unless Washington or the feds themselves offered to finance the bridge.

One thing I notice - though Hillsboro has been growing for a while, the traffic between Hillsboro city and Highway 26 doesn't seem THAT heavy. Especially as you head west; there doesn't seem to be any overwhelming north-south traffic between the exits off of 26 and Hillsboro itself. There is much heavier traffic elsewhere in the metro area.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
This type of thing - if it happens at all - would be done piecemeal, one small chunk of road at a time. And any such project would terminate on the Oregon side unless Washington or the feds themselves offered to finance the bridge.

One thing I notice - though Hillsboro has been growing for a while, the traffic between Hillsboro city and Highway 26 doesn't seem THAT heavy. Especially as you head west; there doesn't seem to be any overwhelming north-south traffic between the exits off of 26 and Hillsboro itself. There is much heavier traffic elsewhere in the metro area.
I think this is because most people who work in Hillsboro, live in Hillsboro, Beaverton, Bethany, or Forest Grove. 26 is only busy because of people commuting both ways between Beaverton and Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland