Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
BTW, I heard on the radio this morning that the annual fee for a parking permit to park in front of your own home is 60 bucks.
That was mentioned in regards to new meters going in in NW. Sounded like those parking permits let you park at meters. Which is different than the non-metered "neighborhood" permits that I have experience of, and were $10. annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 PM

12 posts, read 23,587 times
I'm all for living near work/play/school/shopping and using non-automotive forms of transportation as much as possible, but for the vast majority of the population not having a car is not an option. The automobile is here to stay and attempting to phase them out in order to create some sort of liberal utopia is foolishness. Why do we need to pack people in like sardines? There is plenty of room, if anything we should be limiting growth.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
You know the 77 studio apartment unit that will be built on 27th and Hawthorne? Well today I walked past 30th and Hawthorne just three blocks away and guess what. There is a vacant lot where Big Daddy's Bar-B-Que and various other fast food restaurants once stood before it. The space has been empty for quite some time. But no more. Some surveyors were working on it.

Guess what will be built on that lot. Just guess. Yup, another large apartment building with 50 small units. No parking. But gee, I guess they figure they won't be able to fill the other on three blocks down so we need another. At least nothing worth while was destroyed this time.

More sardine cans.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...-site_par.html

Well I did find this on the Internet. Apparently I missed it the first time around. Here are more details.

Last edited by Minervah; 12-07-2012 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Found some info on the new construction. Revised post

Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandk View Post
I'm all for living near work/play/school/shopping and using non-automotive forms of transportation as much as possible, but for the vast majority of the population not having a car is not an option. The automobile is here to stay and attempting to phase them out in order to create some sort of liberal utopia is foolishness. Why do we need to pack people in like sardines? There is plenty of room, if anything we should be limiting growth.
If you don't want to live that way ... that's your option. But you really don't get to pick how everyone else chooses to live.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 AM

127 posts, read 306,582 times
City parking is an asset, a real cash cow. I would support 'encouraging' such development only as deeded parking for condos, or additional lease/sublease market for landlords/tenants, so people can own/buy/sell/rent/sub/pay ppty tax for their little parking jem of a spot; it's the American way.

When I lived in SF, I leased out my own parking space for $200/mo to some dude to hide his Benz SL500 hard-top and he could walk to his office, wine/dine, etc. It paid for HALF my assoc dues at the time for my little yuppie pad. Portland rate approx $90-$150/mo rent for parking space.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 AM

12 posts, read 23,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
If you don't want to live that way ... that's your option. But you really don't get to pick how everyone else chooses to live.
And neither do you.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 AM

978 posts, read 1,087,983 times
theres alot of jobs in the suburbs you dont have to live where its packed?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandk View Post
And neither do you.
Sheesh. Where did I say I did? You're the one declaring what the city "should be" doing.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times
Quote:
That was mentioned in regards to new meters going in in NW. Sounded like those parking permits let you park at meters. Which is different than the non-metered "neighborhood" permits that I have experience of, and were $10. annually.

Look here:
Parking Permits | The City of Portland, Oregon

See where it says "Program designed to help citizens who live or work in non-metered areas by controlling commuter parking in their area" ?

Now click where it says "AREA PARKING PERMIT PROGRAM (APPP)" and look at an application in the "Parking Permits for Residents" section.

The fee is 60 bucks.

Annually.

And, if you own a business in one of these areas, and your employess want to park there, you must buy a permit for each of your employees at 60 bucks a pop.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-08-2012 at 02:42 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
So 77 units in one building and 50 in another. I just wonder if there are going to be that many people who are interested in living there. Then of course there is the even larger one on 10th and Burnside and on Division and I don't know the cross street and 20th and Morrison.

I used to live in a big city so I have no problem myself living in large apartment buildings. I think the largest one I ever lived in had up to fifty units with one to three bedroom apartments. Most had pretty good size rooms. People actually raised families in them. But that was Chicago, lots of people.

I just wonder if there are that many people in Portland to fill the large apartment buildings going up all over the city. I guess someone must think so otherwise they wouldn't be building them. It will be interesting to see how all this winds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland